Monday, August 15, 2005

this and that

I've had a headache for two days now - real tight pressure at my temples. Now in the old days that would have just meant I had a headache, but last spring I was completely laid out by what my doctor thinks was a migraine. A headache that left me barely able to move for almost 6 weeks and left me really rocky for another month after that. So I have this fear that another one is going to strike. This probably isn't it, but still the worry. Figure I ought to mention it so that when I don't post in ages you'll know it's not cuz I've gotten bored.

I got my copy of Gwen Marston's new applique book. While I'm still not fond of the gigantic four block lay out, I loved her examples, student work and antiques. It's a liberated approach to applique, where she explains how to do it freehand, but okay here's the templates if you must. A quote from the book:

As you can see, it seems that for nineteenth-century quiltmakers, variation in design was considered as legitimate an approach as design demanding exactness. The free-form approach to technique, including folded-fabric shapes and free placement of shapes, also contributed to the spontaneity of these earlier quilts.

This difference in attitude toward quiltmaking is key to the look of these wonderful old quilts. It is hard for me to believe that a seamstress with such obvious and impeccable sewing skills couldn't have turned a corner if she had deemed it important. It's all in the attitude!

1 comment:

Quiltgranny said...

Hopefully, the pressure is short lived, Tonya. I do hope so!

It's funny you should mentione Gwen's quote about the free form technique and spontaneity in 19th century quilts - as I just posted a picture of one of my favorite "old" quilts today.

Take care. Sharon