I've been commenting with Finn (Pieces from my Scrapbag) about her gorgeous Orphan Train quilt. It's a style of quilt I've long loved because they usually are less static than planned sampler quilts where everything ends up in a same sized square. With orphans, it's much more of a puzzle trying to get the pieces to all fit together.
So rather than doing the Halloween quilt I was mulling over (I know, it's only August - it can wait) decided, why not get out all my bits and pieces and see how they go together. Not all of these are true orphans. They were never made for a specific quilt, but for this very thing. I was teaching myself how to quilt using "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts" and I went through picking blocks and techniques I wanted to try.
Not the best photo to see if it's working, what with the treadmill in the way, but it's all I got.
This is my initial layout, and I know I'm going to have to change it. The wonky storm at sea block right next to the tulip block is too same-same. That very contrasty black and pink Fence Rail may need to be moved from the top row, but not sure where to.
This is before I've sewn anything together. I did take a few blocks to the machine - the ones that are going together no matter what. This is going to be slow going, and I need to start organizing it so that I don't end up with Y-seams, the bane of my sewing existence.
Before I get much further, need to get my liberated name sewn and ready to go in. I'll use some of the leftover blocks from the bed quilt.