Tuesday, August 30, 2005

destruction and progress

Today I ripped apart a quilt top, and boy did it feel good. Didn't even take a photo of it, just let the seam ripper loose.

Back in 2002, I had a leftover block from a quilt I really loved. That quilt was fabulous, came out great. This little guy, my name, just hadn't made the cut. It's about 7" x 17".

I had played with just the two fabrics, a black with greyish speckles and a gorgeous hand-dyed purple that is one of my favorite fabrics. Well, I cut and sewed and cut and sewed and thought that the top looked really cool. But didn't feel like quilting it. And still didn't feel like it. Individually, I loved the components. Together, they looked like a gigantic bruise. An egotistical bruise at that.

So today, I disassembled that top into parts, some of which I incorporated into the orphans quilt. They're the three different chunks of purple and black rectangles. I love the zing they add to this top, tho I do worry that maybe I still have too large of a chunk in the middle there and I gotta go turn that upside down so I don't always see that inadvertent E staring at me. Looks like there is a secret message in there, and there isn't.

I've sewn that bottom row together now, and the row above it, tho the nine-patches at the end are still on trial. I whacked off the bottom row of pink hearts to make that block fit in with the rest of them. That row may get sewn in on the top row, beneath the mariner's compass.

5 comments:

Finn said...

Wow, wow..double wow! That train seems to have a full head of steam and is gathering speed. I love what you are doing. The parts you have sewn together look just right to me. And I think the purple and black do add more "pow" to an already powerful quilt.
Isn't it fun to play this way?? The quilt top becomes like a story that you are writing about something that has happened, and yet, is still happening. One more WOW!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow, you are daring with that ripper! Those are some bold rich colors in taht quilt! So what are you going to do with the tonya bruise block? I say put it on the back!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Dawn, doesn't take that much daring to use a seam ripper - I can always resew all the seams if I really panic and realize I loved it the way it was. Now hacking at it with the rotary cutter, that would be a different story. My name bruise block might get saved for another orphan project...

Finn, thanks for the WOWs.

Sarah said...

Tonya -

Love how the quilt is going together. I love all the bold colors. I can't wait to see it all together!

Keep up the good work!

Sarah N.

Frances said...

wow Tonya this quilt just gets better and better, love the purple and black additions,