Back in 2002, I had a leftover block from a quilt I really loved. That quilt was fabulous, came out great. This little guy, my name, just hadn't made the cut. It's about 7" x 17".
I had played with just the two fabrics, a black with greyish speckles and a gorgeous hand-dyed purple that is one of my favorite fabrics. Well, I cut and sewed and cut and sewed and thought that the top looked really cool. But didn't feel like quilting it. And still didn't feel like it. Individually, I loved the components. Together, they looked like a gigantic bruise. An egotistical bruise at that.
So today, I disassembled that top into parts, some of which I incorporated into the orphans quilt. They're the three different chunks of purple and black rectangles. I love the zing they add to this top, tho I do worry that maybe I still have too large of a chunk in the middle there and I gotta go turn that upside down so I don't always see that inadvertent E staring at me. Looks like there is a secret message in there, and there isn't.
I've sewn that bottom row together now, and the row above it, tho the nine-patches at the end are still on trial. I whacked off the bottom row of pink hearts to make that block fit in with the rest of them. That row may get sewn in on the top row, beneath the mariner's compass.