Monday, January 09, 2006

Xs and Os

I finally started on my new project today. Didn't get nearly as much done as I was intending since my hubby had the day off from work.

We watched The Incredibles -- I'd almost forgotten how much fun that movie is. He'd never seen it, but loved it just like I thought he would. It's got superheroes, humor and stuff that blows up. We watched a bit of the "making of" - boy, how I'd love to work at a creative place like that (since I can't actually acquire superpowers somehow). Hubby can work at the Mythbusters workshop and I'll work at Pixar. Sounds great except for the whole "no skills" problem.

I did finally get started on my Valentine's project tho. Here is my basket of strips, all cut at random widths between 7/8" and about 3", with some at angles. This is my one bit of anal retentiveness - I like to keep the fabrics separate in their own little bags. I didn't use to work this way, but it was always so frustrating pawing through strips and scraps looking for the exact fabric I wanted, so this little tiny bit of organization won out. Trust me, there isn't much of that in my life.

I'm making Xs and Os for awhile. I might start making some hearts or other words too, or I might just stay with these. Won't know for sure until I'm further along. At first I was doing one letter then the other, but realized that wasn't efficient. Xs work best if the cuts are sliced with a rotary cutter, whereas Os can be made without ever having to stand up. Might as well do a bunch of Xs all at the same time. [Note: info on making letters X and O can be found in my letters tutorial here.]

My makeshift design wall is off where I can't see it from the sewing machine, so I decided to put up a new small one on the wall of the dining room. Had to take down my blue and white houses quilt and put up part of an old bed sheet (yes, I had purple sheets but they finally wore out). This is my beginning. When I laid them out I sorted by size and ended up with this. Why do I think I'm making "Hugs and Kisses" over again?

9 comments:

Hunter said...

So bright and cheerful. :)

XOXO
Darilyn

Finn said...

"something that happened in the meantime, seems to be happening again.." ok..so I can't sing..*G*

The colors are wonderful, and the purple sheet helps!! You've got the best of tutti-fruitti there...

Carol E. said...

Hey, your work reflects your free spirit. I love it! I'm going to give your alphabet idea a try some time. I love the quiltville site and am glad to know your info is there! My blog is called Giraffe Dreams. TTFN!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

The colors are GREAT...and on that purple wall? It's wonderful! I can't wait to see what you come up with....

Bonnie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how fun! And I know why you are doing Hugs and Kisses again! It has to be brighter!!!!

My friend near me finally is starting to quilt again. We had started a quilt together (well we each had our own quilt, but were doing the blocks/sections at the same time). Anyway, I was bummed when she couldn't work on it for over 8 months now, but I"m so happy now! One of the next steps was applique'd letters - well not for me anymore baby! Mine are going to be free form letters! Although I'll have to be a bit more careful on size so they fit in the designated space! But it will make my quilt different!

Lucy said...

These blocks are real fun!!

YankeeQuilter said...

With my blurry vision the basket of bags of fabric strips looks like candy...or maybe I'm just really hungry? I like this quilt...your saying this quilt will be like your other x and o's is like my hubby saying my strippy star was a repeat!

quiltpixie said...

I love the X and O on the purple. It looks like you were auditioning a background fabric, that worked really well!

Darcie said...

Ah-hah. I can certainly appreciate your anal retentiveness...while making my simple pine trees, the searching for the right piece (before having to just break down and cut another from the yardage) nearly drove me insane. Very effecient, Tonya!