Sunday, January 15, 2006

the Punchiness continues

I'm slowly but steadily growing the Fruit Punch quilt. Yesterday I decided to see what would happen if I started with six 2 1/2" squares - how different would the Xs turn out? This is them - the smallest is about 2 1/4" now.

I made several more Os as well and rearranged the blocks vaguely from smallest to largest.

I'm too much in love with some of my miss-shapen Xs. When I made my first Hugs and Kisses I wasn't so attached to the blocks - it was easier to whack them down and make them do what I wanted. But Punch has a mind of its own. Gonna have to play and rearrange some more. Make a few more blocks... I was worried I had too many rectangular Xs, but now I don't think I have enough. The advantage to those is that they can be used either skinny or tall so I can move them around the quilt easier than squares.

Yesterday I had far too much fun ordering more fabric on the internet. I know, I know, this is my third order since Christmas, but I was good for months and months and months - didn't buy a thing. Just kinda catching up. Bought more of my beloved Bali Fabrications in gorgeous reds, orange, pink, yellow, purple... Yes, I'm doing my usual thing of buying fabric for a quilt that I've just finished - not that there is purple in the current one, just feels like there is b/c of my background color. I figure I was good - I didn't buy any novelty prints, just the solidy hand-dyed looking fabrics that I now use so much of. I actually considered holding off working on Punch to wait for the new fabric to come in, but that's just plain silly. There will be another quilt for it. Hate to say it, but I am just completely taken with these totally NOT ME colors.

I've got an idea for Dawn, who keeps saying she likes these colors too even tho she doesn't like brights. How about doing an antiquey looking reds, cheddars, and chrome yellow quilt? Maybe throw in some double-pinks if you're feeling really crazy. And if that doesn't work, you're just going to have to do a bright quilt - ba ha ha ha.

My hubby has wanted a nap for hours, but Pokey has been wailing inconsolably. Doesn't want to play, doesn't want lovings for long, just wants treats. Little fiend, not that I don't understand. At last they've finally fallen asleep together on the recliner.

6 comments:

Darcie said...

I love it, Tonya!!! Your Punch deserves a big "CHEERS!" to Maverickness. I really need to do something like this. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hunter said...

I have a Hoffman Batik order sitting in a shopping cart just waiting for me to finish Cats and Dragons.

I have Lapis, Flame, Pumpkin, Daffodil and Ice just calling to me. :)

Your blocks are beautiful.

Darilyn

Granny said...

Tonya, I think you're having too much fun with the X's and O's. I love the colors. It's going to be such a neat quilt.

I'm having fun watching its progress.

Judy L.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yeah, I'm thinking I have to do a not me color quilt like this! I dont' think those antiquey fabrics will cut it!!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Oh noooo, I've ruined Dawn. Mwah ha ha ha.

Tazzie said...

This is a first time post for me on your Blog Tonya, I have falled in love with your free pieced letters via Bonnie's website, and that is how I found your blog. I'm such a traditional quilter, but I'm feeling the urge to break out of my box and be ummmm ... more maverick! Well done with your Fruit Punch quilt ... I just love it!!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)