Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Truly Free Fans

Yes, my friend (who shall remain nameless but you know who you are) these really and truly are unmarked free-hand fans in Little Pink Houses.

Quilting arcs a half-inch apart helps to make them smoother. Still, by the time I got to the top of this little (23" x 21") quilt, there was a good 1 1/2" difference between the top of the highest fan unit in this row and the lowest fan unit. Here's a pic where I have those two points marked. See, one way high, one way low. And it doesn't matter.


I know I'm a broken record on this point, but you just have to relax and enjoy the process of doing these free-hand fans. They WILL look great when you are done. And the more you do these, the better they will look. Practise, practise, practise.
On a completely different note: Tazzie, I enjoyed your comment. I'd love to see your blog but right now it's blocked. If that's on purpose and you're not ready to share, no worries. On the other hand if you're wondering why no one visits your blog, there's an answer.

5 comments:

antique quilter said...

I am going to have to try these free form fans...I love this quilt pattern but have to admit to always marking them :)
I have a little quilt that it may just work on ...hmmm let me find it today and decide what color pearle cotton to use.
YOu do use pearle cotton right?
#8 is what I normally buy is this the number you use too?
your fans are about how far apart?
I was surprised that this quilt was so little.
thanks

Finn said...

I can vouch for the "they get better as you go" reminder from Tonya. By the time I'd finished my 18" X 18" piece, they were looking alot better than the first one. And it is adictive..*VBG*

Tazzie said...

Ooooh, Thank you Tonya for the special mention! I haven't started blogging yet ... I sooo want to, but I kind of need to work up the courage. Reading more about ppls interesting quilt lives inspires me more each day, it's becoming part of my morning routine ... coffee, breakfast bar, read blogs ... not a bad way to start the day!
*hugs*
Tazzie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Just truley amazing. You and Bonnie are my hero's! Those 1/2 fans are to die for!

Joanne said...

Love your freehand fans and the Fruit punch quilt, Tonya. I am amazed at all you accomplish. I found I was spending way too much time on the computer and still not enough time on quilting -- somehow need to strike a balance. Love your bright quilts (and I'm not a fan of brights - go figure!)