Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Home for Christmas

Alright, I wasn't going to do this to you. I know Christmas is supposed to be over. I do know, really, I do. And I thought it was out of my system. But try as I might I couldn't get excited about posting a Valentine's Day quilt yet.

I've spent much of the day looking at pics of my quilts where I've done unusual quilting. And this one said "post me, post me" so here's Home for Christmas.

I made this for a very good friend of mine. It was supposed to have wonky houses, but I realized I wasn't going to have any space for fun quilting. I really wanted to get her scottie and two cats in the quilt, so finally I decided to go a completely different route and leave lots of space for the quilting. Lots and lots of space.


I sketched on scrap paper for awhile and then drew my image on here with yellow chalk. All the quilting was done with red perle cotton size 8. Now my friend just needs to live in a place with dramatic red walls so this would show up nicely.

I worked today with Bonnie on another page for Quiltville, this one on threads: quilting thread, embroidery floss and perle cotton. I made a little quilting sample of the threads so you can see the difference in the weights. Plus Bonnie convinced me to throw some examples of it in action (so you don't just have to remember it from when I blogged the quilts). If you're at all interested, take a look. Next up should be the free-hand fans.

Didn't do much else today besides play with quilt pics. I did do another unit in my French - now I can tell time, so long as it's exactly on the hour. Don't expect me to be able to pronounce anything correctly tho. Seems to be lots of talking thru the nose, leaving out lots of consonents, and being able to make an "rrrr" sound in the back of the throat.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh! I love this little quilt. If your friend doesn't have a place to display it I'll be happy to paint a wall in my house red to show it off!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Tonya - I think I"m most jealous of your drawing ability! I wish I could draw things like that and then put it into quilting! I'm a hopeless cause at drawing!

This is just too cute! I always love your little drawings in the quilting.

Hunter said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love the red quilting on the plain background. I think that's why I'm sitting here with that huge amount of muslin. LOL.

Thank you so much for sharing. I love to see quilts no matter what season they celebrate. Each is a work of art that's good any time of the year.

Hugs.
Darilyn

Anonymous said...

I love your quirky quilting! I look forward to the fans instructions too.

Finn said...

Love the red perle cotton Ton...absolutely fabulous choice! The creatures are just right for being "home for chtistmas". Love the stars too.

Holly said...

Cute home for christmas quilt! I like the cats in it - you are so clever. I like what you and Bonnie did with your "letters" and now I'm going to go check out your threads and floss page.

quiltpixie said...

Christmas is technically 12 days long, until Jan 6th, so no worries. I think the unique drawing is a wonderful way of saying "home for Christmas"...

Lucy said...

What a great quilt..I have done some redwork. but this is also a good idea ! Thank you for your information about threads!

Carolyn said...

My kitchen walls are red and it would show up beautifully! :o) Tonya, this is just too sweet...I love the tree! Great job...so creative!

YankeeQuilter said...

Just to let you know this has been hanging in the kitchen since Thanksgiving and has been every year since you gave it to me! Michael was impressed to see his wallhanging in cyberspace (it became his when it hit cyberspace!)

Siobhan