Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Aliens Invading Halloween

Alien Invasion. Coming soon to a planet near you.

I've written about this quilt before, but hopefully this is a better pic. This is the quilt I liberated from my storage facility. I was rather horrified to discover that I didn't sign, date, or do any of the things you are supposed to do. Bad Tonya. Anyway, I pieced it and Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville did a marvelous job of quilting it.

For the most part I used one bit of aliens fabric for the center of the stars. (It's the same fabric that inspired Space 4 Rent, which I made after this one.) I did however use my favorite eyeball fabric for two of the stars.



And illustrating my point in yesterday's post about Lily having to get underneath the fabric:

Go check out Force Majuere Farm if you haven't already recently. Kim is working on a blog "carnival" which sounds something like a magazine. It's a collection of posts relating to one topic, in this case quilting and textile arts. She's in the process of putting together the first issue of The Bent Needle, so go help her out and get involved.

Threadlines Kathie recently posted a pic of the most incredible antique silk pineapple quilt top. Oh, I want it. And Quilting With the Past Lucy just sewed several UFOs together to come up with an amazing orphan quilt top. Read this post, and then this one. I LOVE orphan quilts - they have so much energy.

Yesterday I ended up doing lots of hand quilting. That seems to be what works for me at the moment. I realized that around this time last year I had these same horrible headaches for weeks at a times. Must be something I'm allergic to both here in Bethesda as well as Cairo. I'll be happy when it's over.

On a happier note, HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone!!!

16 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

My goodness -- this is a wonderful quilt! Can't wait to start another project and 'do' your letters. The quilting is absolutely lovely - gives me some ideas.

Sassenach said...

Thanks for the post..

As for those headaches -- mold?

YankeeQuilter said...

I love this quilt...need to use some of the alien fabric I've been hoarding! I'll check out those other sites...thanks
Siobhan

Unknown said...

Very cute quilt and the quilting enhances it very nicely--it makes it all go whoosh, just like a spaceship would.

Happy Halloween!

Lois R. said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN Tonya! Will you get any trick-or-treaters in your building? Besides all the cool quilts and decorations, how else do you celebrate halloween? Parties? Costumes?

I'm so happy to see the quilting on Alien Invasion. When I saw the first pic and read that Bonnie did the quilting, I right away wanted to see the quilting up close. Bonnie will be quilting my wonky houses, so I really wanted to see some of her non-traditional quilting. Now I'm even more excited to get my houses under her needle!

Quilts And Pieces said...

bad, bad girl Tonya - not signing and dating the quilt. But I guess I had better not speak too loud!! :) I love that little tail sticking out!

Candy Schultz said...

I know this sounds weird, but if you put lavender oil on your temples it will sometimes alleviate headaches. Aveda makes an effective one. It works for me 90% of the time regardless the cause. The alien invasion quilt is gorgeous and so is the quilting. Hope you feel better soon. Supposedly it is a banner year for ragweed. That could explain.

Dianne said...

Love, love, love Alien Invasion, Tonya. What wonderful fabric for the center of the stars, too.

And don't you just LOVE Kathie's silk quilt? Some day I'll try something like that.

quiltpixie said...

hope the allergy isn't all the candy and chocolate available.... :-)

Finn said...

Hi Ton, hope that headache takes a hike soon.Life is way too short for that stuff.
Love seeing the Alien quilt up close and personal! The quilting Bonnie did is wonderful, and I love your setting approach. Hugs, Finn

Susan said...

Very wonderful quilt - feels like War of the Worlds. =)

ForestJane said...

Ohh, I like the brights against the black, on those stars. And then Bonnie's varigated thread in the quilting is the perfect touch.

I think I know why the cats hide... they can see the aliens we cant! :)

Tazzie said...

That is one amazing quilt Tonya, I love it! Happy Halloween to you too!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Laura said...

Another fantastic, out of this world, quilt!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

How much am I loving your writing and all your nice bright quilts!!I'll look at those sites, thanks for the tip. Headache wise, have they ever been neck or back related, I have to get regular massages and the odd manupulation to keep mine at bay, especially after lots of sewing-which means just regular appointments!! Suffering today, appointment tomorrow. Cheers.

Lily Mulholland said...

Wow that is one craaaazy quilt Tonya! Love the job Bonnie did on the quilting too. I do love that alien fabric.

Hope you had a happy Halloween apart from those dratted headaches.