Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Another Stab at It

Here's a darker border. I tried several and this was my favorite.

I like this quilt better in the picture than I do in person. I probably will set it aside for awhile. Yes, that is a deliberate choice with the incomplete purple inner border since my rows were different lengths. I think it adds character.

This is what I am working on. Think I'm calling it Stars on Blue. I can never remember what I've named quilts, so it could change several times. I started out with regular quilting thread, but then decided to use white perle cotton size 8 instead.

It's always difficult transitioning from the small stitches that I used on my last project to the larger that I use with this thicker thread. The stitches are loosening up as I go along.

I've discovered the joy of free podcasts on iTunes. Woohoo. This is the first time I've had access to a fast enough internet connection. I tried a quilting podcast, but was bored. Instead I'm loading up on NPR and some geeky things (Buffy episode discussions...). I'm listening at the computer and while it's not ideal, I am quilting.

I have a nasty headache, but at least it drove me to make an appointment with the doctor. I'm going tomorrow, so fingers crossed I get fixed up. Hopefully before I take the power drill to my head in an attempt to relieve the pressure.

I ordered some Feliway today to see if that helps the kitties. My thanks to those of you who recommended it and to PetCo for shipping to an APO.

I changed my display name, thanks everybody for letting me know how to do it.

15 comments:

Joyce said...

I can't believe how even your stitches are! I like the effect of the prele cotton.
Hope your headache improves before you get out the drill. I have a feeling that wouldn't really help!

Susan said...

I love your purple and blue quilt. That is a terrific border on it. I'll be glad to see how you quilt it when you pick it up again.

Diane said...

The latest turquoise border choice looks terrific! I too noticed the interruption in the purple border and thought it was great that you left it that way. This quilt can handle it. Also love the fan quilting with perle cotton. I can't remember if I invited you to read my blog at www.persnicketyquilts.blogspot.com but I have a couple quilts posted that you might enjoy. Feel better!

Tracey in CT said...

I love the purple and blue. I especially like how the section of border at the bottom is missing.

Unknown said...

Love your final choice for the purple/blue border and the patriotic quilt is coming on a treat - your fans are always a delight to behold :o) Hope the head improves - lavender oil sometimes helps as does pressing the end of your thumb just behind the top of your nail (a refloxology pressure point that works on hands as well as feet) and loads of water in case you;re a bit dehydrated - maybe the air pressure in Paris is unkind to you or possibly the city centre pollution - either way hope you get some relief soon, headaches are the pits!

Quilting Pirate said...

OO I like your choice in border as well! I really expands the eye from the center of the quilt outward!

And your red/white/blue stripe on your stars is very cool! I'm using the same fabric as a border for a quilt! Might use it for binding as well!

Unknown said...

Well, I like this newest border too. And the idea of quilting in perle cotton is inspired--as long as you're doing the handwork, might as well make a big statement with it.

I LOVE listening to podcasts when I walk in the morning. And it's mostly NPR things I subscribe to. They have great capsules of the day's features and there are great shows available--This American Life, Fresh Air, A Way with Words. Enjoy!

JennyDillyAnna said...

I've been loving your fans, even took a look at the book Liberated Quiltmaking and I'm enjoying the reading.

About the feliway, beware. One of my kits got so relaxed he took to peeing all over the bedroom floor and under our bed. The joys of a relaxed household were cut short with cat pee, bed moving, and carpet cleaning.

Beth said...

I concur on the darker border. I think it makes the purples shine. The more turquoise border made the lighter turq stand out. How is your headache? Better I hope. I used to have migraines..would not wish that on ANYONE.

Donna said...

hope the doc can help. I spent much of today with a halo around everything, but I think the migraine is lifting finally...I can only imagine how crained you must feel after this long.

jovaliquilts said...

Hope the doctor visit goes well and that you feel better before you go. Headaches are such a bummer.

Love the handquilting -- I'll have to give it a try one of these days. Yours really enhances the quilt.

Cher said...

that border does look better...and as usual your fan quilting is terrific..I am hopeful the doctor gave you some relief! Just how large is the stars on blue piece?

Lily Mulholland said...

Fans are great - as always - and I love the bold white too.

A black border might have been a good option on that turquoise quilt too...

Lily is one gorgeous looking puss! Hope they settle down soon.

YankeeQuilter said...

It took a good 3-4 months before Brownie and Goldie really relaxed in the new house. For awhile they would sit by the front door everytime I left the house.

Love the purple and tourquise. I think I am having a sympathy headache with you!!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I like the orange peel orphans. The beauty of quilt UFO's is it doesn't go bad on the shelf, and later we might actually enjoy working on something we've put down for a while.