Monday, October 08, 2007

A bit of this and that

More glorious sunshine and happiness here. Woohoo.

I see you!

Eye Beady framed, which barely got done before we left Cairo. The framing helps - makes it look finished. You can read about how I made the beady here.

And in place on the wall. My tree looks dull. I'm almost hoping the movers smash this metal thing during the next move so I can get a black feather tree with no guilt. Although the tree isn't the problem, the ornaments are... I should work on that. Maybe tie brightly colored fabric strings on there.

I went to the Quai Branly Museum yesterday for free Sunday. What a disappointment. It has the absolute coolest stuff in the world in there (anthropological finds, carved wood, embroidered and woven textiles and even a Haitian Vodou Flag) and the worst way of displaying them. New museum, just opened last year and it's more like a ride at Disneyland: stumbling around in the dark with colored lights. The displays were so poorly lit you could barely see them. I'm sure some of that is for conservation purposes, but if you can't see it, what's even the point of showing them?

I'm sure other people may not have that reaction. I just need light. I'm one of those people who can't watch a tv or read the computer in a dark room. Makes my eyes hurt. Oh, and the other thing I hated about the museum? No cameras allowed. Not that any of the pictures would have turned out well in that dark space.

Anyway, had a wonderful walk home, going right through the chic part of town near the Champs d'Elysees. I felt out of place amongst all the beautiful people. The women, all skinny, were very much in uniform: blonde hair, high heels, designer jeans and sunglasses.

Check out this cool window display (for a children's clothing shop?), not to mention the classy interior with a chandelier.

I love the "mannequins" - a mouse with her pet cat here in front and a cat with her pet mouse further back.

The pet cat:

An expensive hotel with fabulous flower boxes:




18 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the little animal mannequins. And those flowerboxes!!!

Vicki W said...

I love the Eye beady!

Anonymous said...

love that window display....

Unknown said...

The centre of your 'eye beady' looks just like a luscious slice of kiwi fruit

Clare said...

I'd hang some bright fabric strings on the tree to break the white up. The eye is fantastique.

Funny about the geraniums. They should be on their way out round about now, but with September being as it should be everything has come back to life. Mine have gone nuts.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The flowerboxes are FANTASTIC!! And the eye beady is MAGNIFICENT!! What an absolutely delicious post!

As far as your tree goes, what about orange and/or garish green garland (beads, narrow strips of torn-edge fabric, fuzzy yarn...) - contrast of textures and colors

Amanda Jean said...

those flower boxes are fabulous!

Helen in the UK said...

That beaded eye is awesome :)

kcdi said...

I love the flowers in the boxes, along with the awnings, it is all so beautiful!

Tracey in CT said...

Are my comments to your blog ending up in your email or something? It seems like the last couple of times I posted a comment on your blog, they don't show up in the comments later. Hmm....wierd.

Joyce said...

I am really enjoying your photo tours of Paris.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that eye! But wow, I opened your blog and all I saw at first was that one big eye. I"m exhausted and trying to catch up and what a shock that was! Too funny!

PaMdora said...

Too much fun, cool stuff to comment on here! I love that halloween tree though! And seems like everywhere I get my hair cut, there's bad lighting, so it symptomatic of lots of institutions!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Fabulous mannequins, though it looks a little out of my price range-always a sure sign when there isn't much "stuff!!"
That eye is sensational! I will have to sneak back to the write up, well done you!
Those window boxes are great, but make me wonder whether there is a designated "window box attendee" and why I didn't do that course out of Uni-oh I know why,it is a good theory but would bore me silly after not too many days!! lol Tracey

mouse (aka kimy) said...

eek! the mannequins are marvelous!!

sorry you were disappointed in the quai branly...I guess my eyes adjusted or adapted as I found it an incredible experience. think I posted about it back in march.

glad to see some sunshine has come to paris. I understand it's been an elusive friend this year there!

your spike border tutorial ROCKS! thanks!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

ps

forgot to mention speaking of ROCKS that eye is incredible! ironic, for me, that you made it in cairo - my sister lived there quite a few years ago (her hon's work seems to take them to many of the same places as you go!) and she gave me this wonderful eye she found over there that is to 'protect'

julieQ said...

That is the neatest eye ever!!! I love your halloweenish goodies. My whole foyer is decorated too, spilling out on the fron t porch. We have such great fun when the trick-or-treaters come.. Love your art!!

Have a good day, Julie

atet said...

I really am loving all of the photos of Paris and the things you see there! The tutorials are great as well!