Thursday, August 16, 2007

Spikey Spider Flower

I've made a bit of progress on Blooming Horrors, despite spending so much time reading instead of appliqueing. I hate this part of doing a bouquet where I need to start getting the stems layed in. Stems are boring. I'm not putting one in for the hand - I don't mind if it hovers.

None of my flower shapes are precise -- instead they are bumpy here and flat there. For the Devil's Head and the Eyeball, I just drew the shapes freehand with my chalk directly onto the fabric and then added the 1/4" seam allowance as I cut them out.

For this Spikey Spider Flower, I drew a design onto paper, then cut the shapes out and used those as my templates.

I took my inspiration for this flower from the quilt shown in this picture in my idea notebook.

My version came out partly upside down (my spikes go around the top, the ones in the pic go around the bottom). I cut out the pieces almost two years ago and didn't even really think about if there was a right way or a wrong way to put them on.

If you are at all interested in designing your own flower baskets, I highly recommend Gwen Marston's Four Block Applique Quilts book. Unlike most of the books I recommend, this one is still in print. Her quilts are traditional, but she gives you all the tools and techniques you need to play.

The kitties have been really sweet lately. The more I lay around, the more they lay around on me. It's a vicious circle of love.

14 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

The purple background fabric is just the thing for that quilt. Love how the purple and orange work together, and the texture of the purple is like a Halloween sky should be. It goes with the craziness of those appliques!

"Vicious circle of love" -- very clever turn of phrase!

Laura said...

Wow, what fun! I love the eyeball that is hilarious. I love that quilt in the magazine picture also. How neat that you came up with such a folk art look from such a traditional quilt.
And I have seen the movie Music and Lyrics. In fact we bought it because my daughter loved it so much. I think that is the only reason she went with us last night because she just knew it was going to be like something out of that movie.

McIrish Annie said...

Ohhh Tonya a girl after my own heart! I love your approach of drawing right on the fabric and then cutting your shapes 1/4 inch bigger. Departed members of the Quilt Police are rolling in their graves as we speak! LOL. Please don't take offense but you really are a lazy gal quilting!! You are starting to make applique look like fun!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I should have known to come to your blog for inspiration. I"m doing a challenge right now and have the leaf and flowers all drawn out but was stumped if I wanted a vase or what to finish off the bottom. Tonight I"m going to go home and pull out that book!

Anonymous said...

tonya I love this!
what fun, can't beleive you got that block out of the quilt in that picture!
I LOVE that quilt in the picture, oh please tell me where that is from!!!!
and yes I need to go pull out Gwens Book for more inspiration!
Love the fabrics in this quilt, yes it is me saying that!
Kathie

Joyce said...

IT looks great. I like the idea that if stems are boring just leave them out. That's my kind of quilting.

sewprimitive karen said...

Your blog IS inspirational and I'm wondering what the idea pic is from, too. My three cats were also laying very close all around me early this morning, each of them on a different soft surface of some sort. They looked adorable.

Tazzie said...

It's looking entirely wonderful Tonya, I just love it!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Katie said...

There's some other way to applique than get an inspiration and start drawing and cutting? Okay so I don't see it all when I start. Love your work. Great sense of design and color.

Susan said...

Great little quilt - love the devil flower best. =)

Lucy said...

Th book you reccomend is my favourite ! I love what you did and I love teh picture from the magazine !

Unknown said...

I love your take on the traditional applique design. And making it Halloweeny is just perfect. And I love your inspiration picture--that's one great bedroom.

Magpie Sue said...

I like your "upside down" flower better than the original in your inspiration picture. And if it's a Halloween quilt I'm going to love it no matter what!

Judy said...

Love this book and dragged it out the other day for inspiration!