Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Harry Potter At Last

Our copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows finally arrived yesterday. My husband was convinced someone had taken it, but no, it had just gotten shipped to the wrong APO. I read a couple of hours of it last night and then finished it this morning. Sigh. I'm incredibly impressed with J.K. Rowling's writing ability and the fact that she maintained such a high quality throughout the series. I can think of so many books and movies where that isn't the case.

I only really bawled once. Pokey was sweet and stayed with me throughout. Cats may not be quite as empathetic as dogs, but they do have their moments. It started raining heavily last night and has continued to do so much of today. The weather echoing my mood.

Yesterday, before the arrival of THE book, I watched some first season of Remington Steele (my how I loved that series when I was in high school) and hand quilted on Cranky Witch. She's almost done.

The day before that I played more with Blooming Horrors. Pokey continues to insist I include a cat:

Lily getting in on the act:

Playing around with pieces. Do I put the devil head on the yellowlime flower?

Or the eyeball? I think I prefer this. Everything will be moved around more and stems and leaves added. I've been trying to decide if I should include spider bodies, but I'm leaning towards doing those in the quilting. Or maybe some embroidery. Don't have to decide yet.

As I do this, I can understand why some instructors suggest that you compose the work exactly how you want it and then recut the fabric pieces with the seam allowance included. That just seems wasteful to me. Remind me I said that when I'm bemoaning how small everything turned out. Then again, that's more room for quilting something cool in the background. I'm thinking spiderwebs.

I did get some more applique done. I decided to cut down the hand some and make it skinnier.

I'm doing this post in reverse chronological order. A couple of fun pics from Sunday's trip to the Marais. You know I can't resist fun advertising in unusual places. Les Simpson in front of the St Paul-St Louis Church.


The rain has let up. Time to dash out for groceries.

14 comments:

Joyce said...

I like the devil head on the flower. It's looking really good. I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows eBook (PDF)

http://www.rlslog.net/harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-ebook-pdf/

McIrish Annie said...

have not read Harry yet but it's in the queue. love Bloomin' Horrors! and why not add a little black cat to keep your kitties happy?? embroidered spiders would be cooool.

and I'm sending my son to look at your blog for the simpson pics. He loves all things simpson. in fact, i probably should have named him Bart.!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how I loved Remington Steele! What fun! And I still haven't had time to see the Simpsons!

Blooming horrors is too funny! But way to funky for my house!

Donna said...

The quilt is great! I can't be bothered and wasteful re re cutting the fabric with seam allowances either -- to me its part of the fun to see how it all turns out and changes through the process....

dot said...

Rememington Steele is one of my all time favorites. I must admit it was post high school for me. This is where is fell in love with Pierce Brosnan. HE is so adorable. I really like the spooky bouquet. I might have to try on myself is you don't mind a copy cat.

Candy Schultz said...

Glad you finally got HP. I wonder which part got to you. There were two places where I just sobbed. Rowling is masterful that is certain. I wonder what she will do next.

Tazzie said...

I just looooove your Blooming Horrors piece, your ideas are just wonderful Tonya!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Ms. Jan said...

This is priceless--wish I was so creative!

Anonymous said...

I used to love Remington Steele too. Which bit in HP7 made you bawl? It wasn't in the first few chapters was it cos it so that bit made me cry too.

Blooming Horrors is gorgeous. I love the jump out and hit you wham colours!!!!

Quilting Pirate said...

I love your blooming horror!! I love the smaller hand as well.

And the simpson van cracks me up!

Katie said...

Love your quilt. Looks like so much creative fun and that is the whole point, huh? I really got a good laugh with the Simpson pic. Real life is the funniest.

Judy said...

Very, Very Cool!!!

sewprimitive karen said...

Blooming Horrors is so original. Geez, I love the faces on the flowers. The French really like to do 3-D advertisements for movies from trucks, don't they. Sigh, I'm hopeless, if I were ever in Paris, I would be constantly on the lookout for the sets from The Umbrellas of Cherbourg :-).