Sunday, March 04, 2007

Faking Crumbs

A picture of my current sewing project. I'll get back to this later.

My visit with my friend went really well yesterday, with the exception of getting to the quilt shop too late. We could only stand at the windows and press our noses against the glass. Darn those shop people for having personal lives. Since I was thinking about spending, I saved a buncho money.

I explained ages ago about "my" colors. This was a very limited palette that I loved (and still do) and I ONLY bought fabric in those colors. (A quick recap: only colors of the cool side of the spectrum and black. Period.) Then I started playing with orange and lime green for Halloween and all was lost. Eventually I started making quilts that used all sorts of colors so long as they were bright. Still no white though.

But playing with Bonnie in January on the crumb quilts I had fun using those shirting fabrics. Now I'm thinking, maybe I need to add some white to my current project. And some black and white. Oh nooooo. I hold the line tho. There will be no neutrals, no beiges, taupes or any color of that ilk.

So if the store had been open, I would have bought some bright and white fabrics. Maybe. Mighta. Now we'll never now.

Meanwhile, the pic up top shows you some of the bits I've been cutting. I want to make another crumb quilt, but I got no crumbs. So it's a fake crummy. I want this quilt to have lots of triangles in it (love those kaleidescopes etc that Bonnie pieced) and some nine-patches and maybe two-patches and definitely some piano keys. So I've been cutting triangles, squares and rectangles out of the strips to save time when I start piecing. Not going for accuracy, just speed.

My piles of fakes are higher than in the pic (but still the same colors as shown - no white). I even cut some today until resurgent allergies made me realize it's not time yet for that.


9 comments:

Joyce said...

I think no quilt can be too bright. I love your color choices. THat stripey fabric on theright is very nice. Also love the little pyramids.

quiltpixie said...

Well, maybe all was not lost without the quilt shop visit if you're still ambivalent about purchasing white... I find B&W fabric great fun with the bright colours, and generally skip White itself....

Sweet P said...

An interesting project - fake crumbies. I like it. Have fun with your crumbs.

Unknown said...

I love brights - always have, but there's nothing like a touch of white to make something sparkle or a touch of black to give the eye a resting place. Those black pyramids are beautiful Tonya - take it they're a souvenir from your time in Eqypt

KC Quilter said...

Love your fake crumbs LOL!!! And please tell us more about those beautiful pyramids on the table! My dream trip would be to Egypt to see the real ones in person--but DH thinks it's too unsafe. Did you feel that way when you lived there?

Candy Schultz said...

My quilting palette for the last several years has also been brights, and lots of black and white. Not black, not white, but black and white. When I pick up fat quarters that is what I look for nowadays. The vw quilt I made used those colors and the pineapple also. That doesn't mean I won't make a quilt with another palette but my stash of b, w, and brights grows daily (I think they reproduce). The consequence of this is that I love all your quilts because of the colors. And yes, what are those pyramids?

Cher said...

Ton, send me your address and I will mail out "real" bright crumbs...no neutrals...promise. I admire your determination to make a crumb block by going to these lengths! I just unearthed my special basket of bright crumbs...and there is plenty to share. thanks for the chuckle.

Quilts And Pieces said...

WHAT! No tans, or browns or earth greens???!!! There has to be a law against it!!! :)

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

*hehehehe* You so remind me of the statement Freddy made in the collaborative book! She said "I just don't understand brown!" That statement definately fits you! :c)

Bonnie