Wednesday, June 29, 2005

first time


This is the second quilt that I made using Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking techniques, probably in 1997. It has a soothing quality to it, looks oriental. For years and years after I have continued to buy fabric for this quilt that is already made. Ooh, look gorgeous sky fabric, ooh this would look great as a roof... No, I haven't actually made another blue and white house quilt and I doubt that I ever will. I didn't say that all my fabric purchases made sense.

I used to have a blue and white dining room that this worked in perfectly, but it doesn't look as good in my living/dining room combo along with all my turquoise, purple, pinks, teals, magentas (you get the picture) - it looks dull.



This is a quilt that I made a while back - finished it maybe 10 years ago. I chose to show this one because it's an excellent example of the colors that I use and it just happens to be a good photo of one of my quilts, something I am sorely lacking after my hard drive melted down with no backed up photos. I got the basic block pattern from the Japanese magazine Patchwork Tsushin and have no info on who created it. While I love the colors in this quilt and the curvy Xs, I really missed out on all the secondary designs. Live and learn. This was entirely hand-pieced and hand-quilted and now belongs to my Mom and Dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the blue houses and also have a big stash of blue and white fabrics. Why do you need a reason to buy fabric; I feel just the joy of ownership is enough for me. Pat H.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Yes, but there is so much other fabric that I really might use that I should spend my money on that. I'm not going to stop buying fabric, just not so much blue and white sky fabric...