Thursday, July 13, 2006

Up Close and Clashy

I've been "naughty" and working on my Terms of Endearment quilt (which doesn't have a timeline to finish up) instead of playing with my beady (which does since I think the framers are closed for just about all of August).

This is a close up of my clashy Screwball block - aiyee. Busy, busy.

By the way, "mumkin" is an all purpose Arabic word for "maybe, possibly" and works great if you're asking permission to do something and don't know how to say it. You just say mumkin and point or mime.

It's a relief to see that from farther away this block doesn't looks too bad.

I was going to write a longer post, but the Tour de France is already on for the day - earlier than I was expecting. Now is when it finally gets interesting - we're in the real mountains at last. I think the Discovery Channel boys have been playing possum. They're not doing any of the work and haven't done any outstanding rides, so no pressure has been on them. Other teams have been wearing themselves out. I think it's all strategic and pretty soon the DC boys will shine.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent and outstanding color scheme.

Jennifer said...

I just stumbled onto your free-pieced letters recently and love it! This terms of endearment quilt is really cool (or should I say hot ... pink and orange!!) and the stitching of more words is awesome. What do you use for the thread ... pearl cotton? You've got my wheels turning here ... I'm thinking that a fun quilt for each of my girls would be of the various nicknames I have for each of them. I think I'm going to have to try this soon (well, as soon as I get my studio back in shape LOL!) I hope you don't mind, but I posted your blog in my blog link list ... I love your style!

McIrish Annie said...

Tonya, i love your terms of endearment quilt !! did you dye that fabric or is it a batik??? Fabulous colors.

quiltpixie said...

I think this block "fits" fine with the rest of the quilt. Not to busy at all... and the deadline'll stil be there tommorrow, so have some fun with the quilting that you want to be doing :-)

Finn said...

Morning Ton, I hear your pain..blast that having to pack and having deadlines. But you'll be glad in the end if you can get it framed in Cairo...you know you will...*VBG*
The block in question looks great! And I have to say...absolutely SMASHING stitches girl. Your precision with size and spacing never ceases to amaze me!!!!! I know you've been at it for awhile, but still.....OMG..they are gorgeous. And you know we utility quilter still really do thinking about how the stitches look...LOL
And without a hoop...I'm struggling to get Frankie's hands buttonhole stitches. Weep and moan..why, oh why did I go ahead and use fuse stuff on that???? Aiiii Eeee! It's coming unfused as I quilt.

Laura said...

I love all your words you have quilted in! I digress that I am pretty lazy when it comes to the quilting part. I like to handquilt but I don't want to put too much effort into it. Just straight lines and such. I am loving the words though!

Fiona said...

Oh I love those colours, that quilt is just so lively.

Judy said...

I'm with Finn, you stitches are so perfectly spaced and even! I am again...amazed! I think it looks fantastic! Not clashy at all. It's so hard to put something down when all you really to do is work on it.

Really wonderful!

Juliann in WA said...

what a beauty - your stitches are wonderful and I love the fun colors

Anonymous said...

This is quilting up like a dream! I LOVE it!

Lily Mulholland said...

That block is beautiful Tonya. Love the concept of 'mumkin'. Hmm, wonder if it would work with ROmily? LOL

Love your crustie for Finn too. How sweet of you. (and thanks for the explanation of what crusty stands for!)