Thursday, July 20, 2006

Red Carpet

Be*mused Jan recently showed a pic of her new(ish) rug and it reminded me that I've never posted a picture of mine.

I wanted a fun persian carpet with colors that I like. Since many are made with natural dyes, the colors I want just aren't widely available. Well, after searching and searching I finally picked one out that I kinda liked. There were things about it that I loved (the pattern) and things I hated (red, pink, and lime green? what where they thinking?)

I took this one home and it kinda grew on me. Very slowly. [please note: not MY furniture with the exception of the oak cabinet - too traditional for me]

It's as obnoxious as all get out, but now I love it. It really brightens up the apartment and has so much more life than the boring beige and light blue one that came with the apartment. Needless to say, my husband hates it.

After my post yesterday I started on the new challenge quilt. Holy cow, what a difference, working this time with fabrics I love (rather than the ones destined for charity - I used to love these fabrics, why do I dislike them so much now?) and a cast-iron finished quilt in mind (no going haring scaring off improvisationally). Now I'm having loads of fun and I think it looks great.

Two months left until we move. Woohoo. Progress is being made bit by bit. A friend sent a cabbie she knows to the Lufthansa cargo terminal to get us cat carriers. It took him 3 1/2 hours of running around to obtain them. Aiyee. And he speaks the language. I think we would have been doomed doing it ourselves. So we now have pet carriers for all four out in the open and that's where they have to go to eat.

15 comments:

Joyce said...

I like the carpet. Busy but interesting. What I'd really like is to get into your bookshelf that I can see in the background. Do you have lots of quilting books in there?

Eileen said...

Love the red carpet. As I get older, I find that I like brighter colors, don't you?

McIrish Annie said...

I've only made one quilt with fabrics that I did not choose for a friend's daughter who was getting married. She picked the fabrics. It took forever to get the quilt done and I couldn't wait for it to leave the house. Glad to hear the challenge quilt is on track.

BTW love the carpet. don't think it is too busy or bright at all.!!!

quiltpixie said...

Making the animals eat near/in their carriers is a greaqt way of acclimitaqizing them... I can't imagine such a nice rug in my place, no matter what I did one of hte cats would be sure to use it as a sctratching post.... :(

sewprimitive karen said...

The quilt is pretty, like quilt applique motifs.

Judy said...

Although it's not something I would buy, I do like it! I'm just not a Persian carpet person, but this one could change my mind a bit!! Very colorful.

I tend more towards the modern geometric or the really funky patterns..more like Jan's.But here colors would not go in my house! Mine is purple, olive green and beiges in strange concentric circles all over! SO there you go..differnt strokes and all!

So is that furniture the military furnished quarters kind? My mom tells tales of knowing all the supply people and always rengling the best furniture whenever they were stationed anywhere!
Glad the quilt is coming along!

Lois R. said...

I LOVE the rug! Hate to break it to you honey, but there is nothing obnoxious about it. To my eye, that is just what a persain rug should look like. If I could afford a real persian rug, that is what I would buy. I love to decorate with beige (NOT WHITE!) walls and colorful accessories. If your husband ever talks you into getting rid of it, send it my way! ;o)

Finn said...

Smart, smart, smart girl!! For sending a native to grab the needed carriers!! And getting it done NOW!!

I like the carpet. If I was going to have a magic carpet ride, that one would do just fine..*VBS* Red is such a passionate color, and demands it's share of attention. But it's also rich and warm..not too traditional and not to modern. Sorry about DH not like it....LOL Will it go with you to Paris??

P.S. I was very glad to hear you mention that "date"...I've been a bit concerned as you take on this new teaching quilt. We always have so much more than we think we do..*S* I'll be very glad to have you well away from the Middle East!! Hugs, Finn

Tazzie said...

I love the carpet! It's just lovely. I must be a traditional kind of girl, because I quite like the furniture too :-)
I have to confess to having the same thoughts as Finn, though super appreciative of all you're doing, I was kind of worried that you'd taken on too much too close to your moving deadline. I was pleased to read today that it's all working out so much better for you.
Sending huge *hugs* your way
Tazzie
:-)

Unknown said...

Your table looks like mine always does: piled high with Stuff. I do like the rug.

Sassenach said...

I like the carpet, but I love the pile on your dining room table! Looks like my house....

Anonymous said...

I love the carpet as well, it is so much brighter and funner then other persians I have seen. I can't wait to see the challenge project!

Hanne said...

I love your red carpet. Would look good with my black couch. Charity fabrics are boring because we don't love them anymore. We should always use fabrics when we buy them and love them ! I am getting better at it - and better at using up all the old stuff too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow what a fun rug. Really wild for my house, but I can see it in your house! I love the outside border design! I also have to find out when you will be in Maryland!

Unknown said...

Nice post! This is very informative! Great job! Kip on posting!


liquid filled mouse pads