Thursday, July 06, 2006

Red White and Blue this n that

What a space case I've been lately. This is really idiotic, but I just realized today, the 6th of July, that I could put up my 4th of July decorations. D'oh. I am a pinhead, truly. Admittedly my brain has been elsewhere lately.

So put the decorations up today. I posted pics of all this stuff last year, so I'm not going to do that again. This year the blue and white houses quilt has been superceded by my need for a design wall.

I have done zero sewing. Since a couple of ya'all mentioned liking the flag block in here, I put it back up. I love this border fabric, so it's providing me inspiration.

I decided to let myself do a bit of playing today as well. Instead of quilting Terms (going up the left side on the third row of fans - woohoo) I got out the beady I've been working on for two years now.

Unfortunately the sparklies don't show, but I'm happy with the size 5 red bugles I just added. I had to put a bead in where a blue sequin used to be - I had skimped and used a single thread of Silamide instead of doubling it as is recommended. Hopefully that'll be the only bead I lose. Since I want to get this one framed here in the land of inexpensive framing, I'd better work quick.

Finn, you asked if I'd beaded or french knotted Liberty Blooms. No, that is just the cool fabric I found. I had to carefully cut out the circle so that I would get the little dots going around like this.

Liberty Blooms is 22" x 26". I explained how I did the running stitch applique here.

This poor quilt definitely needs more quilting in it. Maybe someday when I have extra time (ba ha ha ha) I'll add some crosshatching.

I haven't mentioned it, but it's officially Tour de France time. Now, the cycling so far has been dull what with all the flat routes, but one of these days it's going to get intense in the mountains and I will be glued to the tv with no distractions other than my quilting. Yet another factor in my diminishing blog time allowance. This of course assumes that my tv channel will cooperate. I was home in time yesterday to watch but the channel was dead air for hours and hours and hours. It was working again this morning (exercise equipment infomercials dubbed into German - always good for a laugh) so fingers crossed I will not be desolate two days in a row.

12 comments:

Sassenach said...

Ooh! Aah!

Can you post a closer-up picture of the small wall quilt on the far left?

There's a Tour going on? Without Lance, there's been nary a peep (well, there may have been a peep I missed, but certainly none of the hype).

Laura said...

I am still loving that flag!

What tour? Here in the States you wouldn't even know it was happenin'.

Finn said...

Yup, Laura's right on..I didn't even know it was time...dahhhh...what will it be without Lance??? Oh well....hope your channel co-operates!

Thanks for the answer on the white round flower..*VBS* I'd have had no trouble believing you DID do it with beads and/or french knots...LOL
I'm remember that gift bag months back when you felt compell to put a tie in each tiny red space...LOL
Blooms is really quite the awesome piece...really!
And progress on the flag crusty. Took me sometime last year to realize that it wasn't done, and that you were filling in the color sections completely with beads and sequins. It' like a person's mind has to catch up with that possibility....really way cool Ton!!! *VBG*
Just call me "where's your handle,Finn"

Judy said...

I was commenting this morning and realized I had to leave for the doc's in 15 mins and hadn't even taken a shower. I could tell If I pushed post or not. Guess not!!

Anyway, I am really liking how this liberty tea is coming along. I DO like the flag in there! The border will work perfectly in this, It's going to be a great quilt!

I think that polka dot swirl is too cool, especially how it worked out perfectly around the flower rings. The crusty is something I reall must try on of these days. I had no idea that you had the colors underneath. Are they fabric or painted. I guess I need to go back to July 2005 and read you blog to see!

Judy said...

I was commenting this morning and realized I had to leave for the doc's in 15 mins and hadn't even taken a shower. I could tell If I pushed post or not. Guess not!!

Anyway, I am really liking how this liberty tea is coming along. I DO like the flag in there! The border will work perfectly in this, It's going to be a great quilt!

I think that polka dot swirl is too cool, especially how it worked out perfectly around the flower rings. The crusty is something I reall must try on of these days. I had no idea that you had the colors underneath. Are they fabric or painted. I guess I need to go back to July 2005 and read you blog to see!

Tazzie said...

I'm not surprised that you didn't remember to put your 4th July decorations up, with the move looming and your worries about the fur-purrrrsons, you've had your share of things to occupy your mind.

I'm with judy, I didn't realise you had colours underneath the beads. How did you do that? Also, I'm really new to the beadies/crusties thing, what size are they generally? I think I may have to make one sometime. I have so many beads and sequins left over from Amy's days of dancing.

*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

ForestJane said...

That's the first time I've seen the Crusty.

If you put lots of beads, sequins and buttons on your teapot quilt, will it become a Pa-tea-otic crus-tea liber-tea?

Cher said...

enjoyed the Liberty Blooms..have not had time to go back and read all of your blog, so it's nice when you do another post like this one including an earlier quilt. The beady is wonderful as well!

Lois R. said...

Impressive 4th of July display! I'm envious of all the pretty Patriotic quilts.

Yea, I'm interested in the quilt on the far left too. Is it a crumb quilt?

Happy Belated 4th of July!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Back again! I visited yesterday but didn't leave any messages (I don't think)! And you think your a space cadet lately! Man I have NEVER been so bad. I can't seem to keep anything straight or have time for anything!

Your beady is just too wonderful! I would get so bored of doing it so fast! But the result is AMAZING!

And yes, I owe you some chat on the "the project"!

Anonymous said...

Love your beady - especially those giant bugle ones! My girls would probably like doing something like that. I really really like the way you've appliqued the liberty blooms - something I've not seen but it has a great effect!

Lily Mulholland said...

One of Tonya's quilts that needs more quilting? Wow! LOL

Love the flowers - esp the red dots. Very cute. Begorrah red white and blue work so well together!!

We are following the TdeF too. Go Robbie McEwen for the green jersey!