Sunday, June 04, 2006

Quilting Terms

Hey ya'all. Hope you're all doing well. Have to say I have had a great time quiltingmy quilt during the last couple of days. It just feels easy and smooth - everything doing well. Too bad I was a dork and turned the batting the wrong side up when I sandwhiched. I always forget that the glazed side is better - less fuzz comes up through the quilt top.

I've also had loads of ideas going through my head for new quilts I'd like to sew. Too many all at once, of course. I'll write them down tho...

These are some pics I've wanted to share with you. This was back when I was trying to decide which thread to quilt Terms of Endearment with. I really do like how the red perle cotton looks.

But then I did a fake fan with just the perle. Now there wouldn't be this much thread on top of the quilt, but I think the perle would have been too overwhelming. I would have used it if I hadn't quilted in the words tho.

And here's some of the border with the red quilting thread free-hand fans.

I am so massively in love with Bali Fabrications batiks. They are so easy to hand quilt through, unlike a certain other very popular brand of batik, which is a total misery.

Hey, Bali Fabrications, if you want to send me some free fabric, I'll be your spokesquilter. Heh heh heh.

As I said, I just want to quilt at the moment so gonna run. There will be a longer post from me one of these days, I promise.

13 comments:

Darcie said...

Love your hand quilting, as always, Tonya. Those fans...a winner every time!

And quite lovely fabric. I'm going to have to do a search on Bali Fabrications. Thanks for sharing!

Joyce said...

The fabrics are fantastic and your quilting looks great.

dot said...

Your quilting is just beautiful. I really love the orange fabric, it just catches my eyes.

Finn said...

I think you need to be a handquilter to truly understand just how really GREAT it is, when the quilting is flowing, smooth and easy.
As always, it's looking GREAT! I never would have thought to just "lay" tread across the area to "try" the color and look...you are just sooooo clever...*VBS* I've been quilting some testing out your crusties ideas and also massive "fill in the area" completely quilting..*S*

Judy said...

Looking very good! I like the red quilting thread it really does go well with the fabrics. I agree that most batiks are murder to hand quilt through! Just way too dense to get through, but for pieceing they are so crisp and pretty.

Fiona said...

Fabulous colour combinations - and beautiful quilting.

ForestJane said...

I like the way it shades from yellow to orange to red to fuschia and pink. Nice!

But I am confused - I thought batik was supposed to have some sort of design on it - you apply the design with wax or some sort of resist, then dye, then remove the resist and you see a pattern where the dye didn't penetrate. Are they just calling these fabrics batiks when they're really just "not vat dyed"? I see a lot of stuff for sale on eBay that's not really what I would think of batik either.

Deni said...

Just found your site and LOVE it! I have marked it in my "Favorites" file. I plan on returning often. You have so many cute things. A lot of inspiration for those of us "Challenged" in the creativity department!

I also have started a blog with some of my quilting. It is joyisquilting.blogspot.com

Come over and say HI.

Denise

Ann said...

Tonya, as usual, your work is amazingly beautiful! I am really impressed with those free hand fans. I'd have been sure you used a stencil!

Cher said...

your quilting looks terrific-I would agree the red perle would have been too much-the quilting thread just right. Nice to know a good bali to hand quilt with-have to keep that in mind for future reference.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Just stop'in in! Don't even get me going on ideas.... I don't have enough time for everything now as it is!

YankeeQuilter said...

As always...I really like the way it is turning out! I've got to get my hands on some of theat Bali Fabric...

Siobhan

Lily Mulholland said...

I'd hardly describe you as a dork Tonya!!

Your hand-quilted fans are perfect. A lot of practise!!

And you can still post photos to your blog! Lucky you. It's been down for five days for me.