Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Ostrich

I am sooo not looking forward to this move. Moving yes, but all the hassle, no. I'm playing ostrich and pretending it's not actually happening. La la la just going to peacefully quilt - there's nothing I'm supposed to be doing.

The quilting is going great. I've finished the second row of fans and now I'm on the third.

Have found out after way too much internet time that the size of cage I need for the big cats can't be sent to our APO. So now I have to get two here in Egypt. I've heard there's a pet shop in Zamalek that may have them or I can call Lufthansa out at the airport and they should have them. I am sooo not looking forward to making that phone call so I'm putting it off for today. Instead I'll get the sherpa bags ordered for the little cats who are going into the cabin with us.

Went with my friend C. to take two of her cats to the vet for their shots and microchipping. her big guy is a sweetie and did just fine, but the female cat is still too much of a feral street cat to put up with any doctoring. She ended up smooshed in a cage under lots of sedation.

So I know that Howler can get the chip etc, I just have really started questioning whether we should take him at all. Just putting the food in the cages made him blow a fuse. Night before last he pitched a howling fit in our bedroom during the middle of the night. I woke up when he jumped up on the bed yelling (after apparently an hour of hollering with no one paying attn to him - I slept through it and my hubby just tried to ignore it). Got up with the crazy boy and stroked him while he ate.

He is a sweet, strange cat but he definitely has issues. The cats have to go to the vet three times before we move (chips and rabies shot, blood test a month later, final health check right before we leave). I just don't know that the boy can take it.

I was worrying about him last night and just couldn't get to sleep. At his first howl in the bedroom I jumped up and went out to pet on him. He can only be petted while he is either eating or thinking about eating. Has to be right by the food dish (at least for me to pet him - he likes my sweetie better, prob cuz sweetie has never taken him to the vet) either howling, purring, or actually eating.

At least the other cats are doing fine. Bibi has never been freaked by the cages, so no big deal for him to adapt. The first day the cages were out, the little girls stayed out of sight for hours and then did the slink with the tail hung low for quite some time after that. But last night Lily went right into the cage to eat. Lily and Pokey have been taken to the vet since they were about a month old - wee tiny orphaned creatures I carried in a shoebox with holes poked in the top. They might not be happy about it, but they can deal.

I will be so happy in about 7 months time when we are all settled in our new place, hopefully with all our belongings. Fingers crossed.

14 comments:

KC Quilter said...

I hope all goes well with the cats. I know the worry that goes with trying to do what's best for them!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading about your life in Egypt. The teacup tutorial is perfect since I'd like to make a coffee quilt soon. I plan on using your fun letters too. Good luck with the cats.

YankeeQuilter said...

I know this sounds strange but the closer you get to the move the easier it is! I freaked at about the 6 mo point but now 6 days out I am fine. Maybe because there is only so much I can do...deep breath...more coffee...all is fine!
Siobhan

Laura said...

Oh, poor kitties! How we love our pets and hate to think of them suffering. Hopefully Howler will make it through all of this. Just keep putting the food in the cage and working with him. Maybe some special little treats that Howler loves could be waiting inside for him? Good luck and take care.

Lois R. said...

Tonya, I'm going thru the same feelings. I just wish it was over. The biggest stress is always "how will the pets deal?" I'm wracking my brain for tips that might help you, I'll also pick a few brains at Alley Cat Allies (where I volunteer). They have lots of experience with ferals and former ferals -- maybe the'll have some special insight.

I am sure that the short term unpleasantness for Howler will be worth the long term gain. It will probably be harder for him if you find him another home with somebody else than if you move him with you. Either way, he is going to suffer some, but staying with you will help him get over his stress faster.

I wish I could do something concrete to help you with this...

The Calico Cat said...

poor kitties...

My boy eats in his carrier daily... 2 different Rx diets, 'nough said.

Judy said...

Being a cat momma, I can't begin to say how sorry I am that you have to go through all this or that your kitties have to go through it. Howler seems to be a bit more freaked out that I thought he'd be. Just the first trip to the vet is likely to make a decision for you on whether or not he can make the trip. Hopefully the doc will give you some idea of sedation or not.

I guess if you can take it for a while keep up the food thing, as long as it doesn't torture him even further. No need to give him that much added stress if he's not getting used to it at all.. You do have some hard decision to make and hopefully after a few vet visits it will be a little easier to see how to work them out.

sewprimitive karen said...

I'm with Patti, I really enjoy reading about your experiences in Egypt. Your cats have very strong personalities!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Tonya! That is such a hard decision to make, and I"m tired just thinking about all you have to do for just the cats alone! I"m glad it is not me! I don't care to ever move again!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this tough stuff. When My family was foreign service, my folks never let me have a pet beyond a goldfish, which dies horribly and traumatized me for life...

Sassenach said...

I've moved just about every three years my entire life. I'm very good at the process, but the stress has only increased with each move: which treasured item will get broken THIS time (while the $15 particle board bookcase comes off the truck without a scratch). I can only begin to imagine the additional layer of complexity in moving between countries, and with animals to boot.

I'm the family list-maker. Normally, I have one running list of things to do, with one side list for a special project or party. Moving brings out the full-scale listmaker -- there's the regular list for daily living, the things to do before moving list, the list of things to pack and put in the car before the movers get there, and the list of serial numbers off all electronics, sewing machines (I have 5, what's it to ya?), and other high-value items.

ALl of these lists are kept in a single notebook, which is then lost a minimum of once per week. A full-scale search involving tears and accusations ensues, after which said notebook is then found exactly where I left it.

Perhaps locking myself in a room and quilting would be a better way of handling the anxiety.

La, la, la!
Kim

ForestJane said...

But it's so good that you're letting them get used to it - and the sleepy pills will help.

The teacup lesson is great! I'll bet they'd be good on a winter quilt, with a marshie floating on the top, and steamy quilting above. :)

Shellie said...

I can completely relate with what you're going through. When we moved, I had just over two months to pull everything together after finishing my degree and wouldn't you know I spent that two months totting the kids around to swim lessons, movies and playdates. Much more fun that trying to figure out what to do with all that stuff!

When I was a teenager we ended up leaving my beloved cat behind in a state-to-state move since it was decided she was too old to adjust well to such a big move. It was a tough decision and I've never had another cat since so she'll always have a special place in my heart but it really was the best choice for her. Good luck in making your decision about Howler.

Granny said...

Tonya, I don't envy you. Maybe Howler will surprise you. Fingers crossed here too!

Judy L.