Monday, May 01, 2006

Quilting started

I started the quilting on Terms of Endearment yesterday. Decided to start with the one area I was absolutely sure of - that big orange square in the lower right. I wanted to put all our names and the year in, but ran out of room. My sweetie's name is above mine, just respecting his privacy some by not showing the close-up.

Ran out of space for our last name and the year, but I'll fit them in somewhere. You can still see some of my chalk marks on here - I had to re-apply the chalk for the lower letters a few times.

I started out using the stem stitch with size 8 perle cotton but quickly discovered that was going to be a pain in the ass with a quilt this large. That and I didn't like the look of it. Switched to all 6-strands of embroidery floss in purple. Very happy with how that looks. I did have to redo the "i" in Lily because I hadn't left enough room between the dot and the rest of the letter and it just mooshed together - combined with it's placement with the "L" it just looked like a deformed "U."

Now I'm not quite sure what to do with the rest of the terms of endearment I'd like to put on there. Do I do them large as well? If so, I'll have to put them on sideways to make good use of the long rectangles. Still to be determined.

Told you my friend is back in town. We're going to go out playing - looking at carpets - so I think that's it for me today. Cheers.

17 comments:

Ann said...

Tonya, I love your Terms of Endearment. I've just been visiting your pages on Bonnie's site, www. quiltville.com , and now I want to try the wonky letters in a project! How neat! And thanks for sharing!(but first I have promised myself to finish 3 of the many projects I already have going before starting anything new!)

Joyce said...

I love the orange and purple combination. I am also going to try your basting method. I am tired of having a sore back from basting on the floor.

The Calico Cat said...

cool quilting idea - BTW I just used that orange fabric on 2 quilts (I'll post one today...later.)

Quiltgranny said...

I've been waiting to see what you've added - and here they are! I love them all, and I like the ideas of the sideways ones on the long narrow strips!

Finn said...

It's looking very fine, very fine indeed!

ForestJane said...

I can't wait to see the whole thing. :)

Are you going to do some beading on it too?

Anonymous said...

It's looking great! Nice contrast of that floss color against that orange.

KC Quilter said...

Oh, Tonya, that Terms of Endearment is one spectacular quilt! I adore the quilt style you use.

YankeeQuilter said...

Orange and purple...two of my favorite colors! I'm sure you'll find the right space for all the words!
Sio

Granny said...

Looks great. That's 6 strands of embroidery floss? What size needle do you use? You inspire me to want to do fun stuff!

Judy L.

Judy said...

Cool, very cool. I love to see all the neat things you quilt into your quilts! It's like a private party or something. I like the way you write too. Very rounded and cute. Can't wait to see each part!

Unknown said...

Tonya,
The Purple looks great, I think you made the right choice with six strands I just love this quilt....Hugs Tina
I hope you had fun shopping.

Lily Mulholland said...

I like the purple too and think the 'i' in Lily worked out really well :)

Can you not run the letters down instead of sideways?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your quilting is always so fun to look at! It really makes the quilts fun! I"m finally back and trying to catch up in blog land!

Anonymous said...

It's looking lovely. Have fun with the carpets.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

OHHHH! YEAH! YOU ARE TO THE QUILTING PART! I can't wait to see what little fun things you add everywhere. I already love how you have put in the names :c)

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Aha! you use embroidery thread all this time I thought it wasjustcolored quilt thread...secrets revealed.