Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Karnak Temple

Our second day was spent in Aswan, since we had a 12-hour layover. On our third day we revisited Karnak and Luxor Temples. We didn't go mad with the photography since we have photos from there already.

I do so love sphinxes (sphinxi?). These ram-headed sphinxes once lined the path between Karnak and Luxor Temples. A lot of that area is city now, and these guys are all crammed in here together.

I don't know why, but I'm attracted to the bits and leftovers of statues. Such as the base of a statue that just consists of feet. Or this one, which still has legs and a disembodied fist.

2 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Man look at the carving in the wall behind the legs.. and the rams are too cool! I"m so glad I got to see these before I left today!

ForestJane said...

Wow, what an experience! Thanks for sharing all your pictures with us. I'm fascinated by all the carving - and like you, the first thing I thought of when I saw the ferny leaf picture was feathered quilting. :)