Monday, April 03, 2006

Fringe Necklace

I'm really excited. I signed up for a jewelry making class today. The classes are only a couple of hours long, once a week in May. I've been wanting to take this class for a very long time, but all the spaces have always filled up before I've gotten in. As part of the class the instructor is going to take us down to the Khan (the souq, aka market) to her favorite bead shops. I'm hoping to find some Beduoin silver beads that I like.

I'm not really into semi-precious stones, so don't know that I'll find much else that I'll like, tho I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately we can't get good glass beads here or any of the gorgeous lampworked or dichroic glass beads. I do still have a bit of a stash of them, luckily.

This is a fringe necklace I made last year when visiting my friend Siobhan in the states. Well, I started it there but finished here on my own and I'm not sure that I got everything fastened properly, so I'm always terrified something is going to give way and scatter all these beads.

I love this necklace, but unsurpisingly my hubby doesn't. I'm banned from wearing it in public while I'm with him cuz he thinks it's so loud and obnoxious. We had quite the discussion about that one, but I did win the "right" to wear it over to friends' houses since that's not public public. I'm sure he's actually forgotten that discussion and I'm not even sure he'd even notice I was wearing it.

One of my favorite beads on here is a sculpey alien that a friend gave me. Unfortunately I put it too high up. I'm actually considering reworking this baby since I have even more beads now that would work in it and I think I could make some improvements. We'll see.

What I really need is the perfect shirt to wear it with. It looks lovely against my royal blue rayon shirt, but unfortunately it has a collar. I need a silk shell. Mmmm.

I've once again spent way too much time goofing off this morning. Does anyone here do the Bloglines thing? And how is it working out? Have to admit I've gotten tired of going to blogs and seeing that they haven't been updated.

9 comments:

Finn said...

Morning Ton, love the necklace..what beautiful shades of blue..*VBS* Is that your fav up there on the left side? Almost a face bead?
It's incredible to me that you would consider re-working it, but knowing you, you are a dedicated "beader"..LOL

SHowed my DD your beady eye when she was here Fri. night...and for her also, it was an "OMG" moment. So then we had to skim over your blog and your other beadies, crusties and quilts, and of course, STOP...so she could do that What classic dame are you quiz?...LOL...remember that?

The beading class should be fun for you, and another outing?? Hurray for that!!!

The Calico Cat said...

I keep trying to do the bloglines... (I have the same issue as you...) but It will not let me complete one of the steps...

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love the necklace! Let me know if you get the bloglines working - I'd love to have that working!

Oh have a wonderful time in your class! That will be so much fun!

Unknown said...

Tonya, I love the necklace what does your hubby know :) I think it is so pretty the colors a beautiful....Hugs Tina

Cher said...

stunning necklace-maybe your beading teacher could take a look and see if in fact there are any real concerns over something coming loose. Sounds like a terrific class and outing ahead!

Quiltgranny said...

Love the necklace and love all the beads!

I use blogarithm.com to let me know when things have been updated - what is bloglines?

Anonymous said...

That is a stunning necklace! Love the alien :-) Just the other day I was saying to my DH that I'd love to wear jewellery like this, lots of beads, because it looks so nice on anyone! Of course, then I would have to have a whole new wardrobe of clothes to match the jewellery LOL.

Nellie's Needles said...

Just discovered your blog through Finn. I love your "wonky" pieces and letters. What fun! Really nice beaded necklace, too.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the necklace... Can't wait to see what else you do.

I do blogarithm and I love it- I get a daily email telling me which of my blogs are updates, then I can click directly to them from my email...