Sunday, September 04, 2005

Sensational

Here's another happy, positive quilt from my collection. And amazingly enough, yet again, just another photo of the top. Not even the whole top - there should be a couple of borders on here. It was quilted with the obligatory black perle cotton fans.


I made "Sensational" right after "Bricks" back in 2002. It's pieced in a slightly different way than my other letter quilts are, but not so much so that you'd notice it right away. I loved the look and feel of this quilt so much that I made my recent bed quilt with the same colors and black letters. The words read: Sensational, Fantastic, marvelous, wonderful, incredible, magnicent.

I'm feeling guilty right now. I've been off having fun the last couple of days, not doing much sewing at all. Yesterday I went with some friends to the Bulaq fabric souk and bought some really hideous Halloween orange pharoanic fabric for 10 LE a meter (that's about $1.70 for more than a yard) as well as some gorgeous black fabric for making folk art cats. The souk was so hot and crowded I thought I might pass out. What a light weight I am.

In the afternoon we went to the Khan and visited Tentmakers' Street - that's where the traditional Egyptian applique is sold. I managed not to buy anything (you all know how strict I am about my colors) but my friends' wallets are worse for wear.

"Moonstruck" was on tv this afternoon. I truly love that movie. "I love you." "Snap out of it." Cher used to be such a beautiful woman and would have aged so well, but instead she went the Michael Jackson route and looks freakish. This has to be one of the few movies I can stand Nicolas Cage in. Can't even think of another one at the moment, but surely there has to be one more.

4 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh this is anohter fabulous letter/word quilt! These are just too fun! It is wonderful!

And don't feel guilty about not sewing - it sounds like you had a wonderful time with your friends - that is way more fun and important!

Finn said...

Hey Ton..it's me..*VBG* Good to see you again. Not to feel guilty about taking a break from sewing..what would those folk art cats do with you and that fabulous black fabric????

I love the Sensational quilt..I love the slivery-ness of it..*G* Is that a word??? If not, it should be. Neat how you have the letters encompassing two or more fabrics..love it. Looks complicated to do that. I suppose you had to do the stratas thing and then cut that like background..really creative.

I like Moonstuck also..right up there with Mad Max and the ThunderDome, which I watch to see Tina Turner mostly..LOL.

Anonymous said...

Great quilts!

Gotta love Nicholas Cage in "Guarding Tess" with Shirley MacLaine!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hi Sandy, thanks for stopping by. Nope, "Guarding Tess" is only so-so. At least I don't hate it like "The Rock." Just remembered, way back in the 80's I really liked Nic Cage in "Valley Girl" - I wonder how well that movie has withstood the passage of time?