Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Not More Fabric

Over the last month since my knees surgery (knee surgeries?) I've been sitting a lot in the recliner icing. It's too awkward to do handwork.  Instead of doing something relatively productive like watch tv or read books, I've been searching out cool fabric on the internet. danger danger danger. Didn't I say something about how I wasn't going to buy any fabric this year? ha hahahahahahahha. Yeah well, that didn't go so well. At all.

Now, I did give myself some outs. I did say I could buy Letters, Aliens, Robots, and Rollercoasters. And while you're putting the order in, you might as well get other fabric too... Rather than post all my acquisitions at once, I'm going to parcel them out in an attempt to not look like I've gone as crazy as I actually have.

I bought two colorways of the fabric that says Hello in multiple languages - I just wish they hadn't transliterated everything into our alphabet. Still cool though. and I love the reddish fabric in the middle that has passport stamps and place names: London, Egypt, Paris etc. couldn't resist that, now could I.


 Some fun brights


Fun stuff. The third fabric over says Blast Off in big letters and then has a rocket with the countdown.


I have bugs on the brain (I blame the humbugs) and when I discovered that the completely awesome black and white diagonal bug marching fabric had other colors I got sucked in. Especially since the Fat Quarter Shop had the line at half price (emphasis on HAD). Can't expect me to resist that! I finally managed to get some help with the photo sessions, although Pokey was more interested in the lens cap than modeling:







okay okay 


I love my camera, I really do. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. I did a lot of research before I bought it and it had the best low-light capabilities for my purposes. I want to be able to take lots of photos of quilts in natural light AND the kitty cats and it's fabulous for both. The only drawback is the stinking lens cap. It stays on a string so that you don't lose it when you take it off, which is good, but itcan definitely get in the way. Sometimes I do use it to get Pokey's attention.

I take a lot of photos of the cats just to get a few to turn out. For this particular session I must have taken 50 photos with only 5 turning out. (yes, there are only four photos here, I saved one for another day.) I have a particular way of inhaling my breath that I use to signal kitty treat time. I can do that to to get Pokey to look at me, but it only works 2 or 3 times a session.

I got down on the floor with Pokey to take these, but luckily the staircase was nearby so I was able to scooch over and put my legs several steps down in order to get up.

I whine, but the knee is doing better. I'm such an idiot. I've been saying at physical therapy that my left knee is hurting worse than it was a couple of weeks ago. Never did it cross my mind that I was taking a lot of pain meds then which for the most part I'm not doing anymore. Well, no wonder.

I've been having problems with insomnia, so of course I took a nap this afternoon and now don't feel sleepy at 11pm. sigh.

I love the new show on NBC called America's Next Great Restaurant. It really should be on Bravo or the Food Channel but I'm not going to complain. Although yes, I do still hate the major broadcast networks showing reality rather than scripted tv. Anyway, they've got hopeful restaurateurs hoping to convince folks to invest in their particular idea for fast casual dining.  So it's Top Chef combined with Shark Tank (US version)/Dragon's Den (UK version) all of which I love.

Only one episode has aired, but right now I'm rooting for the healthy Indian food option. Don't even have an unhealthy Indian food place to eat here - just a really bad one.

The guy who started the Chipotle chain is one of the judges/investors. I LOVE Chipotle. When I lived in MD for a couple of months there was one a block away from my apartment and I used to go all the time. really good fast Mexican food and I love their whole ethos. So much better than the mexican food I can get at restaurants here. Just discovered recently that we had one open near us here - woohoo!

Later, alligators.

21 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

GREAT fabric! Looks like time in the chair has been good for the stash and future quilts. Great photos of your kitties too. I love the one where she's going after the lens cap.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

What a beautiful kitty!! I love cats too, and dogs, and well...animals period. I too have the Panasonic Lumix, LOVE IT! Takes the best pics. What line of fabric does that one with the passport stamps on it come from???

Irene Onderweegs said...

I didn't spot any fabric....
only kitties in motion. And kindergarten supplies to play with. Next time perhaps tell you're going to the supermarket for bug spray ? ;^}
Love from a chilly Amsterdam, Irene

Quiltycat said...

Fabrics are always a good investiment! I love the alphabet parade!

Clare said...

OMG! I'm in love! Those fabrics are just 100% pure heaven. I've been trying to find letter/word fabrics and can't. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place (sigh).

My camera is the DMC TZ-10 and I just love it. Still haven't worked out how to use it properly but I love the zoom.

jovaliquilts said...

That series of cat photos is really something -- the first photo especially is just terrific! And your fabrics are wonderful. Have you seen the Dr. Seuss word fabrics? It's not that they're so great in design, but I love the Dr. Seuss words.

sewkalico said...

Bought your book from Bonnie in Germany so am hoping to try some letters soon (um, someday soon). It's a wonderful book even just to read :-)
Love your fabrics, but your cat has stolen my heart with those eyes!!
Best of luck with the knee recovery. I remember the sudden new pains when coming off the meds - hope you get better soon.

Gypsy Quilter said...

I believe in whine therapy,anything to get through the painful healing process. Primal scream therapy is allowed also. But buying fabric is the best therapy of all. . . next to kitty hugs that is. Hope you feel better soon!

Michele said...

Love all your new fabrics! There's fun in your future!

Jan said...

My experience has taught me, stay away from the online quiltshops or you're dead! It is just too hard to walk away from their intoxicating selections. And those free shipping deals. And no tax on internet sales. If I don't look, I'm ok. :-)
Love Top Chef! I've seen the ads for the restaurant show...must check that out this weekend.

YankeeQuilter said...

Those letter/word fabrics are great...did I spot one that says humbug! Fabric therapy always helps with my legs...

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

I love all the fabric with letters... & NUMBERS .... & bugs & olives.... all cool ....& i also love Chipotle!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the BLAH BLAH BLAH fabric (mine is B&W) ... great photos!!!

Take care and good luck at PT!

Brenda said...

I'm drooling over all those text fabrics!

Kim said...

Oh Oh Oh love all those fabrics..
the only thing that keeps me from buying more is that I am out of room to store it! Now isn't that a sad thing? Yes I have so much I can't buy anymore.....please feel sorry for me :0(....so why why why do I keep using shirts and cutting them up to make more fabric?

Its all just too much fun!

Happy Sewing

Loris said...

Love the fun new fabrics. Shopping from home...always a crowd pleaser :-) and Pokey is as beautiful as ever. Nice that you found a new 'toy' for him.
Hope the rehab continues smoothly.

Kristin L said...

I'm normally a sucker for the text fabrics, but those black bugs got my attention this time. There is no way you could have passed them by.

Diane said...

Fabric and kitties, what more could anyone want? That Pokey is just stunning. I need that "blahblahblah" fabric! This is all the fault of the internet - in the past we'd never know what we're missing, and now we see it everywhere. It's a real mixed blessing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya,

Glad the knee is improving. I love the fabrics you bought. Thanks for sharing them. I'll just have to go looking for somebugs being that I'm a quilting gardener,LOL.

I don't know if it's the weather up north here but I'm being drawn towards brighter colored fabrics that I used to choose.

Gail.

Marie said...

Okay, three things: 1. Where can I find the "letter" fabric? I must have some! 2. Tell me more about your Lumix. I'm shopping for a DSLR. 3. Please tell Pokey: "What a gorgeous cat!"
Great to be back in touch!
All the best from beautiful Luxor, Marie

linda said...

I love your blog. You and I are very much alike. I like to do things untraditional too. I just created a blog and hope you will visit.
http://craftsbylindam.blogspot.com/