Thursday, March 24, 2011

Monsters on the Brain

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the previous post since I definitely had fun putting it together. We need something to smile about these days.

Our building is being painted, that's why we're all taped and papered up. I'm almost (just almost) embarrassed to be showing you this after reading blogs and seeing enormous mounds of snow.


It is windy here if that makes you feel any better. The plastic is making all sorts of noise and there is a particular tapping that is driving me nuts.

The electrical device? That's my TENS unit. It's supposed to help with the pain. It's a sensation like buzzing needles jabbing you (only not pointy painful needles) and people either love it or hate it. I'm a lover, although I'm not all that impressed with this little gadget. Two hours of battery life and then recharge for four.... Lily is not amused (and that's Howler looking up):


I've been soaking up the kitty love. Last Saturday I could not turn the news off. Little Pokey stayed with me the entire day, usually voluntarily. I definitely needed that warmth and love.


You know how if it's not one thing it's another? Dragging my poor sorry self around the house, my foot smacked into a case of canned cat food. Sigh. It really hurt for a couple of weeks. Stupid foot.

My recovery from surgery is going sooo slowly and I am quite cranky about it at times. The surgeon tells me it will be another 6 weeks before I notice a real improvement. Gah! I'm enjoying PT though.

Good news though. I received my registration info for the Sisters quilt show and woohoo, I got into the Gee's Bend quilters' workshop and lecture. Yay!!! I might even be mobile by then.

If you happen to be in the neighborhood, I'm doing a couple of demos on Saturday at The JaMPatch in Stuart, Florida. 11am and 2pm. Stop by, say hello, see some quilts...

Bah Humbug is wrapping up and I figured it was time for some more fun. The group project is: Hallowistmas Border Town. (Someone is going to have to come up with a better name than that.) You can read more about it here and here  on the UnRuly Quilting Blog.

It's an idea I've been kicking around for years - Liberated Houses combining Halloween and Christmas. Why now? You know how monsterish I've been feeling. Meanwhile I still have my Christmas quilts up on the wall (had to keep them up for faux Christmas in February and then after surgery haven't been keen on laddering to get them).

See ya later

16 comments:

Kristin Shields said...

My hubby has a tens unit. It is a little freaky to wear. I hope you're all better by July! Can't wait to see you in Sisters!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

getting better always takes forever, and a generous amount of effort. Tell Lily and Pokey to put their food away so you do not hurt your foot again.

bonks

Loris said...

Congrats on your Sisters' good news. Hope that cheers you as you sit healing up.
Those kitties are so sweet to warm you. what would we do without them?
Just a thought...try turning on a floor fan for ambient noise and see if it covers up the tapping. Hope the painting gets done quickly.

deborah said...

My husband has a tens unit, it does help with the pain. I wish you a speedy healing!
Great news that you were able to get into the class and lecture! What fun you will have-
Your lovely cats are great companions. Give them an extra scratch for me, my 16 year old kitty companion passed away last week. It left a huge void -

Anna said...

I have a tens and can't decide if it works or if it's just wishful thinking on my part.Hope you feel better soon.

Jennifer D said...

Oh I am so jealous of your SUN!
My heart warmed right up looking at that photo. I have been glued to the news as well. Crazy times.
I hope you are back on your feet soon.

Nifty Quilts said...

Oh man, having to lay there like that just stinks. SIX more weeks?! You are one saint with all that flexing of the patience muscles. No wonder you're thinking about Hallowistmas houses. Really hope you shock the docs and get much, much better real soon. Hey, that TENS really works. I used it for childbirth.

Amanda said...

Just look at the blue sky and sunshine; we've had a couple of lovely spring days like that recently, though it's still cold enough at night time to put a quilt on top of the duvet. But it's most cheering weather, so that will surely help you to feel better in your head at least, though perhaps not in your knee. Hope the TENS works and you can be up and at 'em again very soon.

sewprimitive karen said...

Your poor leg, I hope the six weeks goes by quickly for you (Pokey is adorable curled up with your leg). Sisters is something wonderful to look forward to!!

rlbates said...

Love the way the cats snuggle in with you! Continue to improve

Kathleen C said...

Your kitties will be great medicine for you, as you already know.

I wore a TENS unit continually for 6 years when i was younger-even wore the little unit hooked to the skirt of my suit (back in the days of suits for work!) with wires sneaking down my body--not a pretty sight :). But I loved the TENS; I'm glad it's working for you, Tonya. Rest well.

Barb said...

glad to hear you feel a little bad about showing us the good weather there, lol.
It's ##$%@ freeezing here today.
Hope your recovery speeds up.
so jealous you are going to sisters!

linda said...

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Prayers for a speedy recovery. Wish I was going to be in Fort Pierce visiting family, I would definitely stop by and see you at The JaMPatch. I will have to put this place on my list next time I am in Fl.

Clare said...

Think I may need a Tens unit. Done something to left foot and it hurts like hell!

I'm confused (what's new!). Are we doing blocks for you or quilts? Explain in words of no more than one syllable please!!!!!!!

jmb_craftypickle said...

i am just catching up.... you are coming out?? I will have to go to the Sisters show this year!! How exciting! I hope your legs are feeling better. Keep the fabric pictures coming...gluttony loves company!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have a cat that looks exactly like one of yours! I always thought she was just some sort of domestic shorthair/Siamese/stray mix, but now...

Is this a particular breed that I don't know about?