Monday, June 23, 2008

Plaid One Patch with Strings - Top

I finished my Plaid One Patch with Strings quilt top. But instead of looking like this:

It looks like this (the colors are better in this photo as well):

I was unhappy with how the bottom of the quilt looked. Too boring. And that THinK hadn't worked out all that well and drew too much attention away from the strings. So I lopped off the bottom 2 1/3 rows. I was thinking of adding part of it back on, but nah. The focus should be on the fabrics. This is going to get big stitch freehand fans to give it that utility elbow quilting look.

I got caught up in using every bit of fabric instead of concentrating on a quilt that really worked. Hopefully I remedied that. Working with all those stretchy fabrics wasn't so bad - I added an extra bit of fabric in one spot where I needed it, but otherwise I worked on the "whack any extra off" plan. I also staystitched around the outer edges of the top so they don't pull out of shape.

Sweet Habibi making himself at home on the blocks in progress:

A pillow for naptime:

Sweetie and I are now watching Season 5 of Monk. I do wish they'd focus more on the mysteries and less on getting Monk into situations designed to make his OCD freak out, but the show is enjoyable all the same. And Stanley Tucci (Secondo to Tony Shaloub's Primo and if you don't know what I'm talking about I highly recommend you rent this movie)? Sheer heaven.

We're also rewatching The Closer - this will be my third time through the first season. I love this show. We're getting ready for season 3 which can't be here soon enough. It is fun to watch Brenda do all the jobs herself and then watch CSI where the criminalists do every job at the police department as well as arson investigation, etc.

We finished Medium - whichever season that just came out on DVD. I shouldn't say "we" since my sweetie doesn't so much watch it as endure it in the background while he reads. The show's okay. I like the actors but don't really find any of it compelling.

16 comments:

True Debreuil said...

I like it both ways but you were probably right to cut it off. I really like the colors. How big is it?

Kelli said...

I love the colors (reminds me of summer fruit) and construction. I agree that the word didn't really add to the overall design. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

What size are the squares?

Donna said...

the colours of your enw quilt feel very "dainty" -- a change from the bright I usually see you work in... Maybe its something in the air as I too am working in non-usual colours too :-)

It does look much more balanced by lopping off the words -- you'll find another home for them I'm sure

Anonymous said...

Like the way it turned out!

Finn said...

Good decision to re-focus back to the strings and one patches. I think it turned out well. Quite different for you, the softer pink, but I really like it. Fans should be the perfect ending. Hugs, Finn

Clare said...

It reminds me of strawbery mousse. Don't know why, but it does. I love the colours and they aren't really that different for you. I can think of loads of your quilts that have got pink in them *VBG*

Tracey in CT said...

Love the pink fabrics in the quilt!
Maybe that part you whacked off will be the perfect start for another project later on!

I love Monk...As for the Closer, Eww...can't statnd her. Her huge mouth and the brigh red lipstick and her sickenly sweet voice just irritate me so much!!

QuiltedSimple said...

I like it - very eye catching,
Kris

Maria Peagler said...

Wow, Tonya. You just mentioned my three favorite shows: Monk, The Closer, and Medium. And I really thought I had eclectic taste in television. Have you watched Burn Notice? It's become a fave as well.

I also notice we have many of the same books on LibraryThings. Kindred spirits in the making, I believe . . .

Lily Mulholland said...

Tis most pink 'I think'! Like it a lot. You were right to lop it.

Good luck with the book too!

YankeeQuilter said...

I feel like such a slug having done nothing with my shirt fabrics yet! Ok, maybe this weekend....

Unknown said...

Love the wonky plaids and the pinks. Very summery and fun.

Lynda said...

Good decision to lose the THink. I'm sure it will come in for something else. The quilt looks like summer picnics in the woods.

Holly said...

Love the plaid one patch quilt. Habibi is soooo sweet. Someday I'll stitch fans like you -- if I ever finish stabbing and jabbing my word border.

Kristin Shields said...

Wonderful! I'm just catching up on the blogs.