Monday, June 30, 2008

Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

First off I'm going to completely geek out over Joss Whedon's latest project and after that I'll get to quilty action. You do know of Joss Whedon right? Creator of my beloved Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Have you heard of Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog? I just found out this morning. Check out the trailer:



Teaser from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on Vimeo.

Joss Whedon was busy during the writers' strike. In his words:

"...I finally decided to do something very ambitious, very exciting, very mid-life-crisisy. Aided only by everyone I had worked with, was related to or had ever met, I single-handedly created this unique little epic. A supervillain musical, of which, as we all know, there are far too few. The idea was to make it on the fly, on the cheap – but to make it. To turn out a really thrilling, professionalish piece of entertainment specifically for the internet. To show how much could be done with very little. To show the world there is another way. To give the public (and in particular you guys) something for all your support and patience. And to make a lot of silly jokes. Actually, that sentence probably should have come first."

Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is going to be available on the internet in three parts, beginning on the 15th of July. It stars Doogie Howser (Neil Patrick Harris) and beloved Serenity Captain Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) - wheeeeee. I love how wonderfully goofy the musical episode of Buffy is - I'm hoping this is also grandiose, silly and marvelous. Not to mention highly entertaining.

There is already a great fansite for the show, which has no publicity budget. They are completely relying on the fans and word of mouth to get the news of the show around. If you're a fan of Joss, spread the word.

I love to see someone so incredibly talented take matters into his own hands. No chance of studio interference or premature cancellation (I still mourn Firefly). I rather hope Gwen Marston does something similar if she can't find the right publisher for a book she wants to do. or reprint. Speaking of reprints, this is your last day to vote for publication of Liberated Quiltmaking. So to speak. See this post for more info.

Speaking of Gwen Marston, holy cow, she and Freddy Moran are selling the quilts from Collaborative Quilting, including some of their individual pieces. For more information see Gwen's website.

I don't know if ya'all saw Lucy's comment in my last post about the Westfallenstoffe fabric. The German company bought out a Dutch fabric company, so that seems to resolve the question of are those fabrics Dutch or German. They're sort of both.

I got some quilts and links for you.

Let's start with Brenda's wonderful Life is a Field Trip. very very fun.

Woolywoman has really been making some fun projects lately, but in particular check out her houses.

Scraphappy finished a fun sea urchins quilt.

Sassenach at Force Majeure Farm gave directions on mounting a vintage quilt top so that it's strong enough to display (even though it's not strong enough to quilt) - check out here and the follow-up here.

Maureen (aka Moe) is a blast. She's got loads of pics posted from her classes with Gwen Marston - take a look in her June archive. I convinced her to try making free-pieced letters for the quilts she made in Gwen's classes and now she can't stop! Woohoo. Pics will sooon appear in her blog, I'm sure. This is what she had to say:

"You know when I saw your letters last year, I thought it was so cool but I never thought I'd be able to do it, I thought it was too complicated, too much measuring, etc. I'm so happy you've shown me the way! This is totally addicting. Looking forward to much more lettering in my future."

See, the letters might look intimidating, but they really aren't. You just have to practise to get them to look exactly like you want them to. For instance, if you took a drawing class you wouldn't expect to do lifelike portraits right off the bat. You'd have to work at it. Not that letters are nearly that hard. More like stick figure people and the tutorials just teach you how to sharpen your crayon..."

My computer connection is soooo slow at the moment, I'm going to bail out now. I actually machine attached two bindings this morning on small patriotic quilts that have been sitting around since last August. I just need to hand stitch the bindings down and I'll have them ready to display. woohoo.

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, if only I had an extra $5,000 lying about... I would definitely have one of those Marston/Moran collaborative quilts for my very own!

Grand post ~ will check out the links as mini-brain-breaks (between legal documents). Thanks!!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I DO want to buy the FreddydotCom quilt for starters. And how about the houses with the lonely tree or the forest with one house..In fact I love all the quilts in the book! Unfortunately I didn't win any lottery, but a girl can dream!Well, I guess I'm going to piece my own!
About the Dutch fabrics:I'm collecting lots of them for a "Dutch" quilt. Glad they aren't German..*lol*

Kristin L said...

Hee hee hee, hubby sent me the Dr Horrible link just this morning. I'm totally there!

Thanks for your other links too. Woolywoman's houses are great, but I really love the moon! And I'm totally inspired by Gwen Marston's "modern Amish" liberated log cabin quilt in Moe's June archives. I can see that done in teh light blue/aqua/butter yellow/chocolate brown color combo that's been haunting me lately (first in your babylonian reliefs, and since then, just about everywhere else).

Julie said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I always enjoy reading your blog. :-D

the ark said...

Thank you sooo much for the internet info! My husband was such a fan of Firefly/Serenity and will be thrilled when I tell him!-Maybe he will offer to buy me some fabric in return?!
You are awesome-keep up the great blog!
Tricia

Anonymous said...

I love joss whedon and am just watching the episode of the office that he directed...(vampires! bats) but I loved buffy and firefly and this looks equally awesome. thanks for the heads up

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Hi Ton! Thanks for the nice comments! Am having way too much fun making letters and promise to post some this weekend. Really excited about the Joss Whedon thing, hubby and I are huge fans!

Mo Rage said...

How can you not love this short movie? Neil Patrick Harris is a hoot. Who knew he could sing? And the whole thing of making fun of blogs and bloggers–how great is that?

Has anyone mentioned it seems a perfect metaphor for our dolt President?? Think about it–-likeable, not very bright but ambitious guy has big plans, they come to be and wreck things, in the end. It’s perfect. It’s W all over, guys.

Just wait ’til Halowe’en, folks. It’ll be all “Dr. Horrible”, “The Hammer” and “Moist” costumes!