Monday, June 09, 2008

Goyard

I love the storefront of this old shop, E. Goyard, established in 1853. You could buy your steamer trunks and baskets here - definitely a bygone era.

They also have Motor Car Specialities, whatever that means.

They carefully packed dresses.

I have no idea what Goyard is now - didn't get close enough to look. I don't want to spoil the illusion - would love to think there are still ladies in there getting ready for their steamship travel around the world. The store is located on Rue St Honore:

A nearby building is scaffolded, but no big chocolate bar here.

I have to admit to being really cranky. A couple of mornings ago I woke up to discover that my left knee had blown up - it was all swollen and painful. I have a rare form of arthritis (P.V.N.S.) in which bits of my knee lining thicken. Some of it was sucked out arthoscopically back in October 2005 but they warned me then I'd need real knee surgery one day. So it's not even so much the pain that bothers me, but the fear that the swelling won't go down and I don't know what I'll do next. Sigh. I'm trying to stay off it and hope the anti-inflammatory will do its job.

To add to my crankiness, my internet connection is sooooo slow this morning. Torture.

Want to see some beautiful fabric? Andrea sent me a link for Westfalenstoffe, a German company that makes the gorgeous plaids. I could really go crazy for some of their fabric. Look at the red, white, and blues; the blues and greens; and the orange and red. yummy. The fabric is pricey though, so I suspect I'll just have to get it if I stumble across it at a quilt show so its a special purchase.

I've been working on Orphan Train. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through with the hand quilting. Woohoo. I discovered I can still work on it by putting a chair in front of the sofa and raising my leg up on it - then just have to avoid getting that heavy quilt on it.

I'm sure I'll be doing better the next time I post. Just need a bit of whining every once in awhile...

19 comments:

Tazzie said...

Sending big hugs your way Tonya hon. I hope your knee is feeling better really quickly.
I love the shopfront, I too would wonder what was happening inside. Sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong time.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Joyce said...

Sorry to hear that your knee is acting up. Hope it gets better soon. I'm really enjoying your Paris pictures but now I want to go back there.

Diane said...

There aren't enough fabric temptations here in the USA, huh? You have to go and link us to Germany? Gee thanks Tonya! So sorry about your knee. Take care.

Katie said...

So glad you have some hand sewing to work on while elevating the leg. I have found that the anticipation of surgery and extending of the misery is worse than the surgery and recovery. Still, maybe this is a just a temp thing. Love those plaids, too.

Dan S said...

Goyard's is probably a wizard shop, and when muggles like yourself walk by it, they have the sudden feeling that they shouldn't go in, so as not ruin a nice time travel illusion.

Sorry to hear about the knee. Too bad that isn't an illusion too...

Robin in Short Pump said...

Oh Tonya, I sure hope your knee gets better real soon! And thanks for the Westfalenstoffe site. But I can't figure out how to find the prices. (or how to work the site other than to put something into my wish list. what do I do after that?) How expensive is expensive for 60" wide fabrics? Granted the currency exchange is not in my favor :-)

sewkalico said...

Love the idea of it being something muggles shouldn't enter LOL.

Do hope that knee improves! What a pain, no wonder you're cranky - you have every right to be!

jude said...

oh gosh, life has it way of being annoying sometimes, hope its better tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya,

Sorry your knee is acting up. PVNS is a kind of synovitis (inflammation of the lining of the joint). It leaks frank blood into your knee from thousands of little villi ("worms" in Latin), containing blood vessels. It needs to be periodically removed by arthroscopy (which works just as well as open surgery, if done well), because it tends to grow back. It can also grow INTO your bones, so it's important to stay on top of this. Good luck with it.

Bonne chance,

Dr. Bill
www.drbillsclinic.com

Laura said...

Sorry to hear that you are in pain. I hate pain of any form! Just take your drugs, sit back, relax and do some handquilting. Heck if you take enough painkillers you can create a new form of quilting, Wonky handquilting. Ha Ha. Take Care!!!

Nancy said...

Sorry to hear your knee is troubling you. Maybe, if Goyards is a wizard shop, they could cure your muggle knee?
I agree with you, it does seem fascinating, and now they probably sell something very mundane. Don't worry about a little crankiness, with all the pleasure you've brought us, you're entitled. Feel better soon.

Unknown said...

So sorry you are dealing with a hurting knee. No fun at all. May the inflammation ease up SOON. Love the Paris street scenes--keep 'em coming as you're able.

Chocolate Cat said...

Hope you are feeling a lot better! Glad you worked out a way to still achieve while out of action!!

black bear cabin said...

hehehe
i agree with dan...
i was thinking it looked like a store right out of Diagon Alley, say Olianders? :)
Perhaps you can get a wand there, and make your knee feel better...
i think the spell..."knee reparo" outta do it! :)
hang in there~
lisajo

Anonymous said...

Hope your knee improves quickly. Keep it up, stitch away and have a little cheese with you 'whine'! LOL Thanks for showing us a little of your world.

Clare said...

I love shops like that. I also love standing on the outside looking in and thinking about how it was in days gone by. Can you imagine all those ladies in their huge Edwardian hats getting ready for their voyage to India or Sinagpore.

Apparently they still make luggage. Bit like Louis Vuitton I suppose.

Oh poor poor knee. Hope the lift is working.

Katie said...

A little whining is good for the soul. Hope you feeling better soon.

I love the look of that building too. Thanks for not spoiling the illusion! My French Canadian grandmother traveled around the world with her father and sisters around 1910. We have a few momentoes, photos and her great bit hat trunk. Hard to imagine!

Kucki68 said...

My guess is that the Motorcar specialities would be the baskets and stuff that went on the old cars instead of trunks.

zizzybob said...

Love the old storefront, but isn't it odd that it is written in English?
Hope you're feeling better.