Sunday, October 14, 2007

Pont Neuf Trolls

In keeping with the Halloween theme this month, not to mention my recent Faces sketches, here are some pictures from the Pont Neuf (New Bridge), constructed between 1578-1603. I'm hoping all these details are original and recently cleaned, but they look new. Remember those Sea King lampposts I showed you a while back? They came from this bridge.









I decided these guys are the trolls that live under the bridge. Aren't they cool?


I love the frog:

Wow, the Seine really rose high back in 1910:

I took those photos the 30th of September.

I had a very low key birthday. My husband and I celebrated yesterday at our favorite Italian restaurant in Montmartre. mmmm Antipasto Misto and Saltimbocca. It was sheer heaven. Today my sweetie is making my favorite Dark Chocolate Tart. I got several books for my birthday and as I get them read I'll tell you about them.

I'm spending some time today doing a good deed. A fellow quilt blogger's father-in-law was recently hospitalized here in Paris while on vacation. I've sent information back to her and I'm going to take some books over to the hospital today.

13 comments:

Joyce said...

I believe those gargoyls were meant to scare evil away. They must have done a good job because the bridge is still there after all those years. I can't imagine that they are new unless they are copies of older ones.

Anonymous said...

these trolls are great, you know how i love these things!

Donna said...

the frog hiding in the hair is great! What an artist statement about their patron that must have been!

Unknown said...

Those faces are superb and all so different. Did the post-rugby revellers keep you awake last night or are you far enough away to not be disturbed?

sewprimitive karen said...

What wonderful photos. I'm learning so much detail info about Paris from your blog. Had no idea le Pont Neuf had those faces...eyoiiuoo the frog is inspired.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Happy birthday!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Those trolls are so cool. Kind of scarey. The 1910 marker is unbelievable! Happy Birthday - I'll be over for dark chocolate torte!

Anonymous said...

You are incredibly awesome. I can't believe it was your birthday I feel like a schmuck. Thank you so much for taking care of my Father in law and my mother in law they are very important people to me. Your good deed has touched this family deeply.

YankeeQuilter said...

Those faces are very cool! I'm going to take a stab at the pumpkins today. A belated Happy B-day!!!!

Lily Mulholland said...

They look pretty good from a bateau mouche too - if you want to do something a leeeetle touristy!

zizzybob said...

Amazing, that bridge looks like it was recently built. Who would have guessed it to be that old.
BTW, Happy birthday.

*~hj~* said...

Thanks for sharing... Those are SO cool!

atet said...

Those faces are great! And happy belated birthday! I've gotten really behind on my blog reading lately -- I've GOT to catch up!