Saturday, October 06, 2007

Marais Space Invader

We have had a couple of absolutely gorgeous sunshiny days here in Paris. What a difference that makes in my mood. I went out walking yesterday and decided to head to the Marais, since I'd heard that some Halloween decorations could be found in a store down there. Not that I need any, but it would be fun to see.

I didn't happen to spot them, but still had an excellent walk. I just loved these balconies and window boxes:

Here's a Space Invader for Kimy. If that doesn't make sense, go read her post here.

I thought these linens in an antique shop were gorgeous, but at 12 euros a pop, a nice display like this would be rather pricey:


While I was out and about, I decided to pop into the Louvre and have a wander. I took loads of photos once again. That reminds me that I really need to back up my photos...

These inscribed tablets certainly caught my eye:






And there's even a self-portrait in this one. I hate how the glass display cases reflect.


There's a craft store in the mall attached to the Louvre and it did have a small Halloween display. Nothing really interesting or French, pretty much the same stuff you could get anywhere. I'm keeping my eyes out though. I'm amazed that the candy industry here hasn't latched onto Halloween, but no, the grocery store candy aisle is disappointingly normal and unHalloweeny.

So life is good. My sweetie and I took a walk down to the Louvre (he was jealous of my visit) and had a very enjoyable day together.

We watched Men in Black the other day. Very fun movie and my favorite bits are definitely Vincent d'Onofrio in the Edgar suit. I have a friend who can't watch Law and Order: Criminal Intent because of that.

11 comments:

Donna said...

so glad the sun finally decided to shine on your corner of the world. I find even three days of grey send me loopy, so cannot imagine living in Paris! -- a prarie girl through and through -- it might be bitterly cold, might have lots of snow in winter or mosquitoes in summer, but fairly certain to have sunshine 3-4 days a week at least :-)

Hope you have some success finding new Halloween stuff that's fun for you...

Cher said...

I liked Men in Black too...and those are great tablets...

mouse (aka kimy) said...

merci pour la petit space invader! they are great fun! speaking of fun...wonderful post. to think 2 years ago on this day I was walking about the streets of paris!! such a shame my sister moved. but maybe I'll have a different excuse to visit the beautiful city of lights.

Lily Mulholland said...

Lovely photos again...going a slightly green shade sitting here :)

I can't take Vincent D'Onofrio the same way anymore either. He was a hoot in that film :)

Joyce said...

Thanks for the little peek into the Marias. We stayed in that area of Paris and loved it. Like Lily I am a bit green.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the photos of the tablets with inscriptions. A couple of these photos are going into my inspiration file for future reference.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

So glad you are getting sunshine. Loved the ironwork on balconies!One day it is my dream for my hubby to bring me to Paris...should have happened next May, but daughter surprised us with a grandbaby in late Feb. so we returning from South Africa seperately!Can't miss that event.Between you and Libby, I am inspired to do at least one Halloween thing this year...maybe a runner.Better get busy.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yes, I have several of those self portrait pics in my collection! I love that building with the flower boxes!

Clare said...

Thought of you on Saturday. We had been told of a rock called La Forge du Diable - the Devil's Forge. Decided to explore - wooo hoooo scary! Alex scared the daylights out of us and sat of the edge looking at the view - at least 600 ft drop! Very Halloween'ish.

I'm definitely coming up in the spring, definitely. Oh and I've found a tourist book called Secret Paris - all about the catacombs and the secret metro rides at night. Fancy a go?

Clare said...

C'est moi encore. Meant to say I love the linens and yes they are expensive, but feel the quality. No wonder they last for ever.

YankeeQuilter said...

I have finally gotten over the Edgar suit (though now that you have reminded me it may be a problem again!!!) Vincent d'Onofrio has become my favortie Law and Order character...