Thursday, October 04, 2007

Help With the Basics

I just posted another tutorial. I've been wanting to do a couple of fun tutorials, but I finally realized that I don't want to keep repeating the basics every time I do one, so instead I put together Free-Piecing Basics. It should be the previous post.

It seriously needs a fact checker. My head is spinning and none of it makes sense to me anymore. Did I try to put in too many details? Better to figure out some of the tricks yourselves? Is it confusing? Please to help.

I feel like taking a nap with Lily.

This basics tutorial has really been weighing me down. Happy to have it (almost) finished. Next up is Spiky Strip Borders for QuiltDiva Julie. I have to keep telling myself that since I really need to do it.

I'm also going to play around with the Class in a Box. Thank you all for the positive reponses. I looked up the details of the flat rate box and that seems really doable to me. It will cost $8.95 and I believe that includes a box as well as the shipping. That's for inside the U.S. I can cram a lot into that and still have leftover space.

I'm hoping that as the box gets full, someone will volunteer to send me all the blocks you've made for me. That way the class box can keep going around without interuption. I've decided to go with my initial instincts and put in variety of items - it should be really fun to open, you know what I mean? Lots to see. some sample quilting, piecing, crusty and thready. I may change my mind as I see how it fits in the box. The priority will be the blocks and pieced bits.

I'm not ready to start getting names and addresses yet. Not sure when I'm going to be ready to start this. In the meantime though, please let me know if there is a technique that has been kicking your butt. What would you like to have in front of you to look at?

The weather here has gotten warmer, (it's 59 at the moment) thank goodness since the boiler for the radiators doesn't come on until the 15th. If we have another cold snap I will be lugging home a space heater no matter how expensive it is.

I found out yesterday that French railway workers are planning a strike on October 17th. Of course they are. That's the day my aunt and uncle are arriving. I just hope the negotiations get settled soon and this whole thing doesn't become widespread.

Halloween link of the day, papier mache artist Debbie Hawkins of He-Be-Je-Bes. Her work is inspired by vintage German pieces. Very fun.

5 comments:

Donna said...

your "class in a box" is a great idea for sharing piecing and technique ideas. So many people really need to see something to learn it.

Had to smile at the telling yourself to write the next tutorial -- different things different people. I love writing tutorials and manuals and am actually quite good at getting things in a logical sequence, but I know its a skill, and lots of hard work for some. Know that your work is appreciated.

dutchcomfort said...

Don’t ask me to read your tutorial, I’m not native English... On the other hand, when I understand the others certainly will!

Magpie Sue said...

Geez, I didn't think I'd been away from your blog THAT long! I've got so much to catch up on!!!

Love the class in a box idea. It's always fun to see other's work even if we do have an understanding of the process involved. I'll definitely want to be on the mailing list!

Katie said...

Love the class in a box idea. I'd sure love to actually see a thready and crusty. And some actual quilting using the #8 perl. How about a lesson on whonky stars as Joyce did them in her Sweet Dreams quilt. Did you do this already and I missed it? Thanks for helping everyone.

Cher said...

it's too cold at night to not have the furnace kicking on here-hope all goes well with the aunt/uncle visit. It's always dicey to have to allow for those unexpected curve balls life throws-like the strike.