Saturday, October 08, 2005

Dear Mummy

My stepmom loves Halloween too. I made a smallwallhanging in colors I thought she and my dad would like - crimson and dark green with gold. Then to my surprise even my dad really liked the colors I was using for Happy Howloween. My dad? My everything-is-supposed-to-just-be-brown-or-beige dad? So back to the drawing board.

I started over. This time I decided to make them a whacky Halloween quilt.

It reads:

Dear Mummy and Baddy
Happy Halloween
Best Witches
Your Little Ghoul

I actually told you a bit about this quilt way back when I was doing the sampler. I said, don't use different fabric for both the letters and the background or else it will come out looking like a ransom note. At least that's what it reminds me of. I kind of like the effect here, but have never made another letters quilt in this way. I pieced over paper to get the spiky edges.

I first stabilized the quilt by going around a 1/8" around the inside of each letter with three strands of embroidery floss. Just like with Halloween Houses, I had a great time with the quilting. I played around with chalk until I had a design I liked and quilted it in perle cotton. I was convinced to stop before I had every bit of background covered, which I think I would have done if it were for me. You know me, I like over the top.


Anyway, Mom and Dad have the quilt and assure me it's already hanging up for the season.

4 comments:

Darcie said...

These are all too cute, Tonya!!!

I love all of your Halloween-ness.

Darcie

Jen said...

Very cute, especially love the quilting! Jen

Nines said...

I loved this quilt- there is so much joy in it! Great job! I know that your dad and stepmother must be so proud of you and the creativity that went into it! Nina

Quilts And Pieces said...

What a cute play on words! And fun halloween quilt! you are just too funny with this holiday! Silly you!

And I LOVE all your picture quilting!