Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Play More

More delightful blocks to play with! First off are Magpie Sue's wonderful PLAY and MORE. I think they're going to have to go together in the quilt. Play more. I love how the background plaids went together so that there are some diagonals in there. And great A above the L.

Judy S sent me this really fun LAFF (great way to get around the letter limit!). To get the letters to dip and play like this she really did some fiddling, including a Y-seam (eeek!!!). Judy previously made these fun lettered quilts. Kathy R made HOME - this block really sings with the brights against the black background.

For Slither Eek Boo, Mismatched Quilter Katie made this Trick or Treat. Katie has the most remarkable way of piecing the letters using lots of angles. I look at it and have a hard time figuring out how she's done !

And thank you Helen B aka Mimi for this fun Mu Ha Ha - I can almost hear the different pitches in the evil laugh.

While I'm getting caught up with what's been arriving in the mail, wheee, fabric from the Fabric Square Shop. I love this Winterscapes line from Benartex - these flowers with the rings just grab me.

Moda's Snippets. I'm not sure why, but these patterns and doll clothes (or is it little kids' clothes?) appeals to me. Maybe all those years of my mom sewing clothes for me. And sewing doll clothes. My mom was crafty that way - she even knitted an evening dress for my imitation Barbie.
Sweet by Urban Chiks. I love the fabric that looks like airplane propellers. The roses too for some reason....

This morning Pokey had to go back into the vet for a check up and yet another blood draw. The vet wants her to drink more water so I get to give her more of the tuna sludge (tuna packed in water thrown into the blender along with additional water) so long as I thin it out even more. I've been thinking of it as homeopathic tuna. So oh boy, more tuna water when we came home from the vet! I just hope she doesn't get sick of it.

After her tasty snack and a good grooming she's back to herself. I've heard her hunting cries, but can't convince her to play fetch with me. I've been throwing socks down the staircase for but she won't go down to get them. Inevitably hours or days from now I'll find them in a heap somewhere. She won't fetch them when I want her to, but she still enjoys doing it.

I have so many links and things to share with you, but have run out of time. I'm off to West Palm Beach with my friend Susan. Woohoo, more playing!

14 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

lots of new goodies at your house! it's like christmas! you've got lots of playing to do!!!

Magpie Sue said...

Someone - her aunt or great aunt, I don't remember - knitted an evening gown for my daughter's Barbie dolls too! The yarn was perfect; black with a sparkly strand going through it :- )

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, Pokey! Is Pokey OK or you just aren't sure yet?

jovaliquilts said...

Those 4-letter word blocks are great! It's a brilliant idea, and will be a fun-derful quilt.

YankeeQuilter said...

Pokey looks like she is sure enjoying all that tuna water! If she tires of that you could switch to the canned chicken...or cook up some shrimp?!

I like that swirly flower too and the stripes in the moda line....

Brenda said...

my four-letter word is: slow. Slow to get your package out of the house and to the post office.here's another four letter word: soon. thanks for the great eye candy today!

Blogless me said...

Hi Tonya,
I've been following your blog for a while and was quite enthused by the possibility to try out piecing letters. I've never done that before and I am basically a hand (not a machine) person. When I saw your "Halloween Noises" I started playing on paper and was quite amused with the results. I played mostly with SHRIEK since nobody seemed to do it. I have now a version that I'd like to try in fabric. Just wanted to make sure what the deadline was - May 31, right? Is that when you are supposed to receive it? I'll be sending it from Belgium, so I'm not sure I can make it. Should I do it anyway?

BTW I also experimented with the four letter word (oops, that did not come out right) - mine was "home" but just saw you've got that already, so I'll try another one.

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Thanks for sharing the fabric love!

Twisted Quilts said...

Great word blocks, very inspiring and I love your mantra "play more". I want to go to West Palm Beach. We have had a bit of chilly weather and I am ready to sweat.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

those words are so much fun. Hi Pokey, you're looking good.

nannergirl said...

Love all the new fabric and bloacks. Glad to see Pokey looking so good :)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Oh Ton, all these fabulous free pieced letters are just stunning eye candy to me, everyone...keep up the good work!!
Tracey

Cher said...

fabulous blocks coming in! everyone has such unique style and sense of color-love them all. good news on Pokey...enjoy the day

Tanya said...

It is so much fun to visit your blog and see all the wonderful things people are doing with their words!!! These are going to turn into some great quilts!!