Friday, May 08, 2009

A Chorus Line of Sorts

I told you the other day that I was thinking of a skeleton chorus line for Boo? This is how I doodled the idea. In pen. The leg in the air just looks goofy to me.

Hmm, how about with a bent knee? Don't really like this either. [I was pondering eyes and claws instead of the skellies - that's what was going on elsewhere in the page.]

Okay, straight leg. This isn't a real chorus line kick, but it is kinda fun.

I sketched the design first in chalk for the rough placement and then used my new Sewline mechanical pencil to mark it for real. So far I am really liking that tool. I found it a bit difficult to erase, but I suspect that's because it's puffy with all three layers (rather than just erasing marking from the top only). I'll let you know how well it comes out when I'm done. 

Anyway, this is where I'm at so far:

I'm doing the quilting with purple perle cotton size 8. The skellies don't look like a chorus line, but they do have their own groove going. Lily is so not impressed.

For more examples on my quilting in this style with the perle cotton, check out my threads tutorial. The "trick" is to practice your doodling. Doodle, doodle, doodle. And don't try to get too detailed - you'll notice these skeletons are anatomically challenged...

I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers. It is excellent, as are his previous two. Anyway, I bring that up because he discusses the 10,000 hour rule. Which is, that 10,000 hours of practice "is required to achieve the level of mastery associated with being a world-class expert--in anything..."

I'm not saying I'm a master hand quilter. But I find this idea interesting. I wish I knew how much I've actually hand quilted over the years. I think I might actually be nearish that 10,000 hrs figure. Ten hours a week for over 20 years.... Sure every week I didn't actually quilt that much, but I quilted more others...

And you know I've doodled a LOT. I took notes but when things got a bit dull at school, university, meetings at work.... doodle doodle doodle.

Okay more now about the Hope is a Four-Letter Word quilt. hmm, that one probably needs a new name. The quilt will be for me to use as a teaching tool in classes and hopefully in a book. Fingers crossed. I'm keeping it, it's not for charity.

This is who I've got so far. 

care       Mary C
free        Jen D
glee       Cherie
grin        Julie
grow      Lynne
joy         Nancy   (I love that she's rebelling and doing a 3-letter word instead)
love       Kim
play       John
play       Magpie Sue
sing       Sara H.
soar       AnnieO
warm    Laura
wish      Kathy

Just One More Sara and Chris Daly want to play too, just haven't chosen a word. Rachael is mulling it over.

Diana, you came up as no-reply so send me an email. You are considering doing glee or folk. Either would be great. yes, we already have one glee, but that doesn't matter - people are allowed to have the same favorite word. Have you free-pieced letters before? K is a bit trickier than some of the other letters, so folk would be a bit harder.

For a beginner, hope is a great word - those are all easy letters.

So happy you guys are playing with me. Later!

28 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE is on the way :0)

What do you think about baby?
I'd love to do baby :0).

this quilt is gonna be so cute, can't wait to see it.

Happy Sewing,
Kim

P.S. 10,000 hours is what we were told in motorcycle safety training class too. I'm getting there!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Love the skellies! I agree, the high straight leg looked kind of goosesteppy. The one you have is better.

Kristin Shields said...

Aack! I can't keep up with you lately, Tonya! I would like to do this one, but I don't know what word yet. Any that you still need?

Juliann in WA said...

I would love to make a word
how about LIVE
sign me up

jovaliquilts said...

Love your skeletons! Very fun.
Malcolm Gladwell's books are so good. He's got an article in the current issue of the New Yorker that looks interesting but I haven't read it yet. Have your tried any by Jonah Lehrer?

rondiquilts said...

I think you need "a hug"? If you can tolerate another 3 letter word I'll make hug. I love hugs! Let me know what you think. If its not good give me a 4 letter word you want.

Rondi

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I love your skeletons. The remind me of the Bangles video for Walk like an Egyptian :)

Banaghaisge said...

I bet if you put a fish skeleton in there that Lily would be approving! They look like friendly skeletons, and I rather liked the chorus line - you could have one with his/her leg flying off... THAT would be scary!
Hugs,
Jas

Beena said...

Wonky dancing skeletons! What a hoot! They are great!

Clare said...

If I manage to get Screech finished this week/weekend, I'll do "free" for you as it will be quick and easy to do.

Ton - your skellies are Egyptian!

Anonymous said...

I can do "joie" - is French ok??

Diane said...

I took you at your "word" when you asked for four letters. A very powerful and positive word in my life right now is "TRY." I'll give it a try if you want.

YankeeQuilter said...

The skellies look like some Doo Woop backup singers! I finished my word...cake but it came out a bit longer than your asked for (guess I just like big cakes....) You are getting it anyways!

Rachael said...

I'm in, I'm in. How about "snug"? Love the line dancing skeletons.

Mary C. said...

This is so much fun. I love group projects.

Browndirtcottage said...

VERY good skeletons....I kinda liked the one with his knee bent....this BOO quilt is w-a-y cute!!
Hhhhmmmm 10,000 hrs.....well, I guess I have about 19 more yrs. to go!!!

AnnieO said...

The "skellies" are great fun! I graphed out some ideas for my word (soar)last night and also looked at your tutorials, so very helpful. I am eager to play with fabric tomorrow after our annual Mother's Day brunch at our house. That will be my mother's day gift to myself!

Cher said...

guess I missed catching your eye on saying I would do a word..maybe I didn't even post it...anyway...I am in...and will do HOPE....

Sharon said...

I'll play along with this one too. How about if I do "Home"? That one appeals to me. This will be fun!

I love your dancing "skellies". They do have a groove going - kind of like the Blues Brothers, if they were from Egypt! What a hoot! I love your inventive quilting.

linda said...

Hi Tonya, If it's not too late, I'd love to join in. I'll pick up Nancy's slace and do DREAM.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Those skeletons might give me bad dreams. But somehow they look like so much fun--dancing. It's animated.

Lynda said...

The leg in the air skeletons remind me of John Cleese and his Ministry of Silly Walks! Not very scarey!

Unknown said...

Love the skeleton kick line--cutest quilting idea I've seen in ages.

Wish I could play with more letter blocks right now, but other priorities are starting to assert themselves, as in WEDDING DRESS for daughter.

Anonymous said...

Your talent is amazing.

Sara said...

I think I've decided on my 4-letter word..... live (as in live each moment).
P.S. Love Boo and the Skeletons!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hey Tonya ~ I'll create the word LEAP ...

Jantine said...

What color sewline did you use? I have trouble with the black, but I am told to get a good eraser from a bookstore and that should do the tric! Love the quilting!

John said...

Since you have two people making "play", I think I'll choose an unclaimed word. How about "luck"?