Tuesday, February 03, 2009

letters

I have a couple of pics to share with you of work done by Judy in Michigan. The first says Delphine's Quilt Shop. I love how Judy came up with her own style on the n and p's and wow, what a fantastic Q.

And this is Quilter's General Store. I love that plaid r.

Didn't she do a great job? I'm so proud of her. I love to see the projects ya'all make using the free-pieced letters. Here's another great one, a valentine quilt made by Julie in the Barn. I just love the crumbs she added.

Brenda got her Words Fail Me top together and it is marvelous. She also posted a pic of all her wordy quilts - she's a quilter after my own heart.

Speaking of letters, I pulled out a bunch that have been sent to me by students. I won't say who sent them for fear I'll leave someone out.

This is going to be such a fun quilt someday and I'd love to have more of your donations to put into it. I have lots of orphan letters I could throw in but I'd prefer to just use student work. So if you have any letters that just didn't work, or you made too many or just want to make some for me, I'd LOVE to have them. I'll take any free-pieced or wonky block actually, cuz I love to play with orphans. Oh, and I'd love to have whole or partial words too, doesn't just have to be letters.

Also, while I'm begging, if you've made quilts using my letters I'd love to have you make a name block for me. These are the ones sent to me by some of the students from my first online class. I also have a Carol block that doesn't appear here and I suspect a Jude block will arrive in my mailbox soonish.

So if you've used my letters and enjoyed them, please consider making a name block for me. It can be your blogger name, not your name name (I don't think anyone has ever actually named their child "Comic Book Lady" - at least Hedgehog would be kind of cute). Make it to express YOU. Your favorite colors etc, not mine.

I know, I'm greedy. Others (have I mentioned Bumble Beans 9-patches?) are out there asking for donation to charity quilts and I just want blocks for me.

I went to bed last night at 8:00pm I was so tired and amazingly I slept through all the way til 7:00am. I've only had one other night here free of interuptions. First the cats all had wonked out body clocks and Bibi in particular felt it necessary to traipse about singing in the middle of the night. Pokey had to get cabinet doors open and Lily finds it necessary to scratch at windows, mirrors, doors.... aagh. And when they're not being demonic, it's the sweetness getting to me as Pokey decides she has to sleep on top of me and Lily right beside me.

And there have been two nights where the smoke detectors have gone off.  Not a nice little beep to let you know that the battery power is running down but a full out ALARM, ALARM which cuts out fairly quickly but will come back within a couple of hours. Why does it always have to be the middle of the night? You'd think I'd be smart and replace all the batteries, but I've got to go buy them first....

17 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Oh, a learn-to-write quilt with all your students' letters! What a great idea. I have some, will send them off. :)

Clare said...

I'll make you a name block - not my blogging name though!!!! It will keep my mind occupied.

Do you want some Blackcurrant Fool 9 patches too?

Michele Bilyeu said...

I think it's time for some more kitty pictures! You know we love'em! All of us feline-crazees know just how it is when they bunk up and we're at the bottom! Especially, when it's time to move one...just one...in order to get up and take care of moonlighting business! Hey...I think I see a potential quilt for you in that one ;)

Brenda said...

Actually, I've got an extra name hanging around. Send me your address. Thanks for the shoutout on my Words fail me project. I couldn't have done it without you!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Now that you mention it, Got any scrappy 9 patches laying around miss Tonya? :-)

name block...hmmmm, Will "V" do it? ok, I'll try slightly harder than that!~

Joyce said...

I'll be working on a name block for you soon.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Side note - did you know that two of our HOPE challenge quilts are up for auction this month to benefit AAQI?!?!? Woo Hoo!

Really good to see all those student letters and our name blocks again!

Poor kitties - I didn't think about their internal clocks. Our Miss Angel would have been a total basket case!

Kristin Shields said...

All those wordy quilts are just fabulous! I think I did send a couple of letters with the Shoo fly quilt, but I could be mixed up in remembering. I would love to make a you a name block, but don't know if I can fit it in before our big trip. Is that one that will be long term?

Oh, those alarms must be awful. I stayed at a hotel once where the fire alarms went off over and over again one night. I left the next day and never got any kind of apology. I'll surely never stay there again!

YankeeQuilter said...

You may have opened a floodgate asking for orphan blocks! I still have the three houses I made in your class! Send me your snail mail addy...

antique quilter said...

great letters...makes me want to make some!!!
even a little wallhanging saying welcome
or quilt room or
studio...
so are you adjusting to the Florida weather yet??

jacquie said...

absolutely i will! i'll get working on it!

Valerie said...

Just wanted to let you see some pictures of the letters I made last weekend. I used your tutorial and Brenda's tutorial to do an entire, lowercase alphabet on Saturday. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas!

http://quiltmessingaround.blogspot.com/2009/02/wonky-letters.html

Quiltycat said...

Cute idea! Do you want a piced name from Italy?

Lynda said...

So much inspiration! I have a snow day today, and was considering which of my UFOs to tackle - I think a name for you would be the plan!

Sharon said...

I'll make you a name block too, plus sending some extra letters, if I have any left over from the Witch's Pantry. Send me your addy.

I love your tutorials on the letters and I would never have made them if not for you! Sending you these letters is the least I could do to thank you!

Sorry to hear the kitties have been difficult. I hope they're starting to settle down and get more comfortable there. It's always tough for them to acclimate somewhere new.

Karen said...

....just stumbled over your blog.it's great! I can't wait to try your peicing technique. i just printed out 'the basics'. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks!

Tanya said...

So nice to see the class blocks all set out! I'm proud to have been in your first class!