Thursday, February 09, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I made Home Sweet Home back in April 2002 when I was going through a monochromatic period. This is red, white and pink tho I have to admit one of the pinks has a bit too much purple in it... You'll notice some familiar Tonya elements: houses, words, piano key border.

I did a really great job (if I don't say so myself) quilting on this one, but of course this is the only photo I have of it and it's a lousy photo and so you'll just have to take my word for it. I quilted the word "love" on it in many places and there are hearts and curls of smoke coming out of chimneys.

I actually quite like this quilt - not quite so bland as the picture would have you believe. I made three quilts in this color scheme and almost made another, so obviously it appeals to me.

Yesterday we had a khamseen - a sandstorm. It sounds much worse than it actually is, at least if you're thinking of "The English Patient" and the dunes that get shifted during the sandstorm and people having to be dug out from underneath of 8 feet of sand. It's not like that in the city. The sand is so fine it's more like dust - it gets all gritty in your eyes but you're not getting pelted in the face. The sky was a weird white color with a tinge of reddish brown; couldn't see the sun - just a brighter white circle. A friend said if we were in Houston we'd be running for a tornado shelter - it was that kind of an ominous sky.

I'd heard about the khamseens, a spring phenomenon, before we moved here and I thought they'd be far more common than they actually have been (knock on wood). So the nasty headache I had yesterday was either due to barometric pressure or just all the dust whipping around. Either way, it's gone and I'm feeling much better.

14 comments:

Kate said...

Red (from rust to pink and everything in between) is my favorite. So this quilt is extra exciting to me! I can see a "Love" in one of the blocks--

Laura said...

I like the red! It is my favorite color. It reminds me of those little sweetheart candy's you get at Valentines.

Patti said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better Tonya. I get those kind of headaches from allergies and I know they are NOT fun! I love this quilt - red is my most favorite color and I'm particularly partial to it when it's pink!

Anonymous said...

This quilt is adorable! Love the colours, the border, the quilting, the tall skinny chimneys - everything :-) Glad you're feeling better too!

Finn said...

So glad you are feeling better..nasty business those headaches.

The home sweet home is cool..I can get an idea of the quilting from how the shadows fall. Like what did with quiting in the piano keys too. Definitely not a "fluff" quilt, despite the pink..great job!

Debby Brown said...

Gorgeous quilt! Being partial to red, pink, and white, this quilt really appeals to me.

You are a very talented (and productive) quilter and I've enjoyed reading your site.

Keep feeling better.

Debby

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great quilt for february! I can make out a few of the words on the quilt if I press my nose up against the screen!

The sand storms remind me of the movie themovie "Flight of the Pheonix" where the sand storm takes down the plane....great movie.

quiltpixie said...

Glad you're feeling better Tonya. I spent a few years in Calgary where in the winter the tempreture can vary about 20 degrees Celcius in about 30 minutes -- I completely understand just how terrible pressure triggered headaches can be -- and they seem so random until after the fact!

Quilts And Pieces said...

This is a really fun quilt. I love the colors together. It looks very valentiney to me! I"m so glad your feeling better. I'm having so much fun hearing about things in Egypt when you tell about them!

sophie said...

I put my nose up to the screen, looked over the top of my glasses and could see some of that fantastic quilting! What a wonderful quilt.

antique quilter said...

another quilt I would love to own of yours Tonya!!!!
your making me want to make these houses more and more everyday....I have to finish something first....
words on quilts has me soooo intriqued...
need to do that too!

Darcie said...

It's always so intriguing to hear about the weather...the food...the art...over in Egypt where you are, Tonya.

As I'm catching up with some blogging (I know...tuff job!), I'm sorry to read that you've been feeling so cruddy with headaches so much. Hope it was all just the weather. Maybe that's what was bugging Lily, too?

Your many houses...and especially your Home Sweet Home...are such an inspiration. I MUST do some!!!

Isn't it funny that so many of us share red as our favorit color?! I think that we are all just very passionate people! About many things...'specially RED!

;-)

Cher said...

what an ongoing quilt show of varied and fantastic house quilts you have done- many of the words you quilted are visible-how fun.
Hope you enjoy your R & R time..and stay headache free.
I enjoy red too :-)

Miriam said...

i like this one too. monochromatics are great. i think the purply-pink makes a great variation and leaves places for your eye to rest. great job!