Monday, February 06, 2006

Across Australia

Hey ya'all. Hope everyone is doing well. I've got yet another headache (big cry baby, that's me) but went to the doc today, so hopefully a change in my allergy meds will do wonders. I was almost very foolish this morning - I considered backing out of an expedition cuz I wasn't feeling great. What a mistake that would have been.

Two friends and I went up to Zamalek to see an art quilt show called "Across Australia." Not only did we get to see beautiful quilts, but the curator Dijanne Cevaal (who is visiting from Australia and has some gorgeous photos of Egypt on her blog) and Jenny Bowker even came over to walk through the exhibit with us and talk about it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've certainly never been so lucky to have this kind of an experience before.

Here are a couple of quilts that really caught my eye. This first one is "Dreaming" by Beth and Trevor Reid of Gowrie:

This landscape is inspired by the Australian outback, but it makes me think of Mars. I love the colors in it. Jenny pointed out that several of the Australian art quilters do their quilting first and then put the applique over the top of it. Makes it easier (to not have to stop and start), but it also gives an incredible ghost impression. On this quilt, the appliqued areas were then quilted again.

And this one is "Corrugated" by Helen Gray of Mawson:

I bet you're surprised that I picked this one - certainly not the colors you usually see on my blog. But the material is a gorgeous hand-dyed silk and then Helen hand quilted with large stitches that are incredibly textural.

After the quilt tour my friends and I had lunch at my favorite Lebanese restaurant (woohoo) and now I'm back home again with my sick husband. I know he's really sick when he stays home from work. Poor guy. I just hope I don't get whatever it is he has.

Thought I'd show you a peek at the new fabric I got in the mail:

I bought them for different projects, but I'm actually scaring myself with how much I like how they go together. No, no, I refuse to leave my comfortable little box - I don't want to explore new color combinations.

12 comments:

Laura said...

Lucky you getting to go that exhibit. It sounds and looks like it was a feast for the eyes. Love the new fabrics you bought!

YankeeQuilter said...

I love how simple the quilts in the photos are (by the way...corregated are MY colors!) Too many of the art quilts I've seen lately are just overpowering (victorian-like) with the amount to stuff that can be put on a piece of fabric and still have it hang on a wall! Ps...love the fabrics!

Sio

sophie said...

You've got a rainbow of fabrics there ... how can you NOT use them together ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked our Australian quilts - we certainly have some talented ladies over here. Diane and Jenny are amazing quilters and to have them both at the show was fabulous. Your new fabrics are Gorgeous!!

Finn said...

Sorry to hear about the headache, but sooo glad you went out for that art exhibit. The pics are wonderful...such a world of possibilities out there, isn't there??

And th new fabric is awesome...blue and orange..goo!.purple and red..good! Purple and orange..good!
Yellow and blue..good! It's all good

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I like the fabrics too! And the one quilt of the australian outback......purple background! I tell ya, you got to get some purple background! :c)

Bonnie

Cher said...

oh come on now...all those colors are perfect together! love them all...so yummy! what a fabulous exhibit and experience to enjoy! thanks for sharing those photos...
hope you wake up to new meds working and not with whatever is making your dh miserable

Nines said...

Beautiful, beautiful. Darcie is really going to love that hand-dyed piece- I know I do. The quilting is spectacular and you did a great job of capturing it! Glad you made yourself go! I really like these colors, together, too! Love L.A. Confidential. too. I want her hair- there at the end. Very glam.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well I had this nice long comment about your post and the quilts and after I had it all typed up blogger went down for maintenance last night - arghhh. So I'll just say I did have fun reading this post last night!

Lily Mulholland said...

Wow - those Australian quilts are amazing! Quite funny that the first I've seen of them is on your blog and I live only a few suburbs away from the quilters themselves!!!! The Canberra Quilters are having a local exhibition at a public library here, so I'd better get along and see it! How inspiring.

Can't wait to see what you do with your new material!

Debra Dee said...

When you find something you like stick with it. That's my philosophy. I agree with Cher....YUMMY!

Frances said...

thanks for showing the Across Australia quilts, lucky you to be able to see them all and meet Dijanne and Jenny, I have been thinking of ordering the catalogue from Dijanne and if I am not too late I think I will now you have shown me these tempting morsels, I have seen photos of Dijannes quilts too,
love your fabrics and what ever you do it will look great, your quilts always do you have the gift of good design, actually you probably have worked hard at it over the years building experience,