Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why We Have Design Walls Part 2

Who's making a mess?

My fabulous friend Bonnie is visiting, sewing up a storm. Her ability to just sit at the machine and sew is incredible. I have to get up constantly, make another cup of tea, stretch... whatever. That's why she's done so much. She brought her big blue bin full of scraps and strings and is working out of that, along with a few bits from my collection. Her husband is apparently incredulous that she drove all the way down here just to sew.

Bonnie's wonderful creation, as of last night, with Habibi watching closely.

Howler checked it out as well:

I haven't accomplished much. I started out sewing diamonds using Bonnie's scraps in all colors as well as my brights, but wasn't happy with the results (which are now incorporated into Bonnie's star). Not satisfied with what I'm doing so far, but each time I look at it, I can see what I need to change. Far more of the blocks have to be made straight across the diamond, instead of all angly. Use few novelty/heavily patterned fabrics per diamond and make the strings skinnier. Meanwhile, here is Pokey rolling all over my work:

The cats hid the first hour Bonnie was here, but that was it. I've been spending far too much time this morning trying to figure out the paperwork and beaurocracy to get these kitties overseas. Good thing they're worth it.

21 comments:

atet said...

What fun! I love the scrappy diamonds.

Good luck dealing with the beaurocracy -- never a fun part of any day, but worth it for the kitties.

Juliann in WA said...

what fun you are having - thanks for sharing the pictures

Saska said...

What fun..to get and sew with a friend.

Elaine Adair said...

What fun to look at YOUR mess, instead of MY mess! Love those diamonds - I know, it will turn into something absolutely scrumptious!

Unknown said...

I would love to be sewing with a friend RIGHT NOW. Have fun. Those scrappy diamonds are terrific!

Fiona said...

What can I say - fantastic! Those diamonds are just so delectably scrappy.

Lucy said...

Wowowow I can see that you both are having a wonderful time together !! I love how the star is coming along :-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

OK - say this with a big whine in your head - Why can't I be there to learn how to do this with you guys!!!!! Sooo cool!

Sassenach said...

I'll join Dawn in whining....I want to be there too!!!!

quiltpixie said...

wonderful diamonds! They look fantastic using strings, and even if you have little to show for you're work, think of it as helping Bonnie out :-)

Sweet P said...

Wow! Between you and Bonnie the creations you make are stunning! And your cats simply add to the beauty.

Joyce said...

Lucky you to have a sewing partner. Looks like so much fun.
I hope you get through all the paperwork to get your cats to Paris.

AmysBabies said...

I am so very inspired! I have had scraps languishing in their storage box for ever. I can't wait to use them now :D

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! This star will be fab! Way to go girls :-)

Lily Mulholland said...

Can I spend my days doing this instead of working? Not fair you two having all the fun!

Nicole & Phil said...

What a great space! I love the fact you can both sit in the same room, and sew and talk! Sounds fabulous!

Quilter Kathy said...

That really looks like so much fun!
Enjoy...soak up every great moment!

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

What an amazing string quilt! I love your helpers too!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Fabulous blocks and i would drive a long way to sew as well!! Surprise for you on my blog, tracey

Clare said...

Sounds as though you two are having great fun. Lots of chatting and sewing and laughing. Un petit cadeau pour toi à chez moi.

Holly said...

Have fun, you two. I enjoy seeing how you are set up for sewing. The cats seem to approve of the piecing :P