Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Crumby Lost Love

Lily on Love on a Shoestring Budget, in progress.

While making the above quilt, Bonnie decided she had an extra L-O-V-E 4-patch. I swiped it. At that point she wasn't sure if she was going to make string blocks to go in between the Loves or if log cabin crumbs would be better. She made a couple of the log cabins before switching to the diagonal string blocks. I kept making log cabin crumbs and then 3 more sets of the letters when she decided not only did she want that L-O-V-E 4-patch back, but an additional two blocks. I made her extra so that I could still do a little quilt with all these bits.

I wouldn't say that Crumby Lost Love is exciting, but I think it will look nice when the quilting is finished. I love throwing the letter blocks in amongst the crumbs.

Bonnie made a V-block that started coming apart in the middle. D'oh. I "forced" her to use a V that she wasn't happy with (not much bottom), but not this one. When the seam is already fraying out, it's time to lose the block. So I cut the bad block apart, losing the problem bit but gaining a couple of unexpected angles in the crumb units (they're to the left and above the E). See, you can't go wrong playing. Almost everything can be repurposed somehow.
I'm quilting the border with freehand fans. I know, what a surprise. But I bet you weren't expecting Elvis on the back of the quilt:

I've seen too many Monty Python episodes in my life. I can't help but add: No one expects the Elvis Inquisition. Anyway. These fan arcs are going in about 5/8" apart. I love the look of the fans close together and they are easier to do this way.

I want my husband to recover from his cold, but quick. He's rather pathetic and I'm afraid a sinus infection is going to be next. Despite all that, he got the taxes done and I got them to the post office in time. This is not how he was supposed to be spending his vacation.

18 comments:

Joyce said...

Love the Crumbly Love and the elvis on the back is really a surprise. Is it appliqued or what???

Finn said...

Oh My...shades of Love me Tender...*VBG* What great crumb blocks and so in sync with that Crumby Lost Love....too, too much!

Those dots behind Elvis are grrrr-ate! Hugs, Finn

Unknown said...

Could you please explain more about Log Cabin Crumbs? That's a very interesting block, and I would like to try it. Thanks.

Hugs,
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Tonya, it seems only right that the 'fans' are there to support Elvis. Good choice. :-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love the Elvis back! Very fun!

atet said...

LOVE the Elvis back -- and I'm with you on the Monty Python. In fact, I just did a ministry of funny walks for my students the other day -- they thought I was weird. What is happening to kids these days?

Hope your husband is feeling better soon and the two of you can enjoy some time without sniffles and sneezes.

Marisa said...

Nice shot of your quilt and kitty. I just finished a cat block, so seeing them together is adorable. Nice blog!

Unknown said...

What a lovely result from lots of bits and bobs - can't wait to see it finished - I really like how you have to look a little harder to make out the word

Lily Mulholland said...

Where on earth did you find that Elvis fabric! Or is it indeed appliqued? Have not seen you applique before, so can only imagine someone came up that quite amazing print! Am about to attempt 'your' freehand fans!

Lois R. said...

Wow! those crumbs look great! I L-O-V-E them!

Glad to hear that your sweetie is here, but sorry to hear that he's sick. Hope he feels better soon so you will have some time to do fun stuff together before you pack off to Paris.

Lois R. said...

PS. I love the traditional fabrics mixed in with your brights.

McIrish Annie said...

no matter what you do,it's great!! I love Elvis behind the scenes! Sorry to hear your DH is under the weather but hopefully some Florida sunshine will cure him. Glad you made Uncle Sam's deadline!

Lucy said...

This is a perfect quilt. Thank you for the inspiration. I think I am going to make one when I am back home :-)

Juliann in WA said...

do hope your husband is well soon-love the quilting and that backing fabric is wonderful

Nettie said...

Elvis here is so mod and marvelous and i like how the black thread sort of echoes the black figures.

Agree with Anne Bebbington about it being cool that the word isn't so immediately easy to read.

What beautiful kitties you have. Hope yr husband is all better soon.

YankeeQuilter said...

Hope your DH is feeling better...a cold and taxes - he deserves a medal!

Love the Elvis...and the blocks too of course!

Cher said...

what a fun quilt and Elvis on the back-great thinking-and again, your fan quilting looks fantastic. I enjoy unexpected backs. I too hope your sweetie recovers quickly and you can enjoy your time together-hurray for getting the taxes done.

Susan said...

Love all the love going around at your place!