Friday, July 24, 2009

More Hopes

I may be bad at blogging lately but I have been sewing like crazy. Woohoo! I finished three little quilts and am aaalmost through basting the enormous monster. Gorgeous baby Pokey has been hanging out with me. She's doing as well as ever.

Here are some of my blocks for Hope Strings Eternal. I just pieced and then pieced more once I decided I was going to make it a lap quilt. I made more than I need for this quilt, so will get to have leftovers to play with. I'm surprised at how readable it is with these four patches all placed directly together (I'd have thought it would need sashing or something to work) but maybe that's because I already know what it says...

Lily came over to take a look, but wouldn't pose prettily on the blocks.

She failed in her job as super model.

I snuck a "live" in amongst the hope. That is what I'm hoping for after all.

This is the layout I'm thinking about and of course I'm four string blocks short. I thought I'd have loads of extras of these blocks too, but no such luck.

I like having the half string blocks go on around the outside. How does it look to you? Too much? I'll then put on a narrow inner border and a wider outer border. I like my lap quilts large so that they come up to your chin and tuck underneath your feet.

Bemused Jan noted that Bloglines isn't working properly lately. Gack, she's right. J.M.B Mommy has been updating and I didn't get the notification. Eek, go take a look at the fun Jessica had at the Sisters show - think Gwen and Freddy.

Speaking of whom, you can win a copy of Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran's latest book, Gwen and Freddy Collaborate Again, over at Michelle's blog With Heart and Hands. Go here to enter. Even if you don't need a copy of the book, take time to leave a comment to show your support of these authors and this book.

Michelle says: This is our opportunity to show the power and influence of blogs and bloggers in the world of information and marketing potential...not only to those who read here, but to Freddy and Gwen, themselves!

And yet more and more photos from Sisters, this time from Sue Spargo. Will people never stop posting the wondrousness of this past show? Rubbing salt in my wounds for not going...

Enough whining about that. I've been getting so much quilting done because the Tour de France is on. I'm so sad for Lance that he's "only" in third but at least Contador won the time trial to prove that he really is strongest this year. Tomorrow should be exciting though. Fingers crossed for Lance. So funny to hear the commentators talk about how old Lance is at 37. harumph.

26 comments:

Deborah said...

The Hope quilt is so charming. Each block a gem. What about a narrow black or dark purple flange inserted between the strings and the body? It would give a visual break without messing up the math. I do like the zig zag effect the border strings give. Always nice to see Pokey! A gray kitten has shown up in our yard. He is clearly feral, but he likes Fancy Feast! There is hope.

~Michelle~ said...

I love how the top row also spells out "Hohohoho" - Santa in July!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

It's coming along well. I love the way the letters are coming together. But maybe the strings and letters combined are a bit too much? Takes emphasis away from the words, I think.

Susan in SC said...

Oh ny goodness! Thia ia one of the prettiest quilt that I have seen in a long time. And, Lily, is a gorgeous kitty!!

Kristin L said...

I love the quilt just as it is. The strings around the edge make such a nice border I don't know that it even needs a more formal one. I'm glad to hear that Pokey has stabilized and think that LIVE is a great hidden gem to add.

Missy Ann said...

I love Pokey so much. That first picture, I just want to grab her little face and kiss her on the nose. I know she'd object, but that's the price you pay for being so adorable.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I LIVE (i mean LOVE) the HOPE quilt!

so much fun!!!!

Anina said...

That Pokey is such a doll!
I love the "live" in there. I think it's a stunning quilt.

Jan said...

Those half string blocks around the edge are perfect! Do leave them!
The Bloglines feeds that dropped out on me all stopped on June 16. I went into each blog's feed info and found that in each case, it was only the feed I subscribed to that wasn't updating. So in each case, I resubscribed to another feed and all's well that ends well. *For now.*
Have a great weekend!

Hedgehog said...

Tonya, I'm just in love with this quilt. I'm itchy to do something more liberated, but am trying to be good finishing up some more traditional WIPs and gifts for more traditional folks. :) If only July could last a few more months....

julieQ said...

First of all, love, love, love your HOPE quilt! I need to get busy and make one too. Second, don't you know that super models call their own shots? Third, we have been avidly watching the Tour...and are so proud of Lance too! Old at 37...hmmm, doesn't seem right, does it.

Cheryl Cato said...

The HOPE quilt is lovely and I like that you snuck LIVE into the mix. Pokey is so beautiful... those eyes... I'm glad she is well.

Donna said...

the strings give Hope room to breathe in my mind :-) Love the zig zag they create around the edge.

Marlene said...

Have just found your blog Tonya. Love the Hope quilt with the string blocks in it. I think it seperates the words better.
The message is very appropriate as I am off to see my brother who has just been diagnosed with leukemia.
Your cats are adorable-Pokey has the most amazing eyes.

Unknown said...

I couldn't help but check out your blog when I saw "Tonya". There's just can't be enough of us good Tonya's out there. love the string block quilt.

Tanya said...

The string "kisses" set off the HOPE blocks so beautifully!!! You are a master of color! (Again)

Anonymous said...

The hope quilt looks great with the alternating string blocks. A little solid border like you mentioned will really set it off. Gwen and Freddie would be quite proud, I'm sure. Your kitty picstures really make me want to get a kitty again, but with three old dogs, perhaps we'll hold off. maybe one will adopt us like Deborah. . .although, I do have to recommend catching it and at least getting a rabies shot and hopefully spayed/nuetered, although I realize that's easier said than done.

Lois

Sharon said...

I think your strings/Hope quilt looks perfect! I love the LIVE in there (sneaky!) and the zigzag of the half blocks. Your colors are great - happy and hopeful.

Glad to hear that Pokey is doing well now. She looks content.

Clare said...

As it is. It's wonderful. So joyous and full of life. Just like the chatte who inspired it.

Oh dear - naughty Mistress Lily not posing for Mum.

Mary Johnson said...

I love this with the string blocks - one of my favorite word quilts.

Janet said...

The alternating HOPE blocks with the stripes is very striking. I put my plan for a word wall hanging to our woman's minister and she will present it but to be honest, she wasn't very hopeful that the conservatives on staff and board would go for it.

lilli said...

Just one word:
SPETTACOLARE
ciao Lilli

Quiltdivajulie said...

skipped the earlier comments for now ~ I LOVE the layout with string blocks ... This quilt is WONDERFUL in every way. Whether the wishes are for Pokey or a co-worker undergoing chemo or a dear friend whose husband was buried yesterday ... or just for the sheer joy of the colors ... it is brilliant.

Marit said...

It is so lively, very appropriate for all the love... I might want to put i some blue narrow border. It might be because I'm in love with the pretty blue eyes of Pokey. So glad everything is going well with the cat.
; )

Michelle said...

I absolutely love the combination of letters and string blocks!

Unknown said...

Wanna make one of these. Drooling...