Thursday, July 16, 2009

And I'm Still Basting

Ugh, the basting job that never ends. I'm at least at the half way point now and there's a good chance I might just quit and add safety pins where needed.

First, an excellent picture of the gorgeous baby:

These pics are from four days ago so I have made a bit of progress since then...

Belly, belly, belly


Pokey update, then back to quilting. I had a bit of a meltdown about Pokey yesterday. Over the previous week I'd seen her so little. She was spending so much time under the bed, hardly coming out to play... We were at the vet's yesterday and he said she's still feisty, hasn't lost a lot of weight, but just to put my mind at rest he put a rush on the blood work (which we were already scheduled to do).

I brought her back from the vet's and she was a happy little camper. Outgoing and playful and sweet. And that's even after she's had the blood draw as well as the saline. I think I stressed her out over the previous week by shutting off the doors to the bedrooms on a couple of days that I didn't want her hiding under the bed, wanted to be able to just grab her. Didn't shut the doors yesterday and she was happy. So fingers crossed she was either just having a rotten week and/or the doors panicked her (not to mention Howler, who blubbered) but either way she's back to normal.

Okay, back to quilting. Looks like the outdoor quilt show in Sisters, Oregon was fabulous this year. Gwen Marston, Freddy Moran, some quilters from Gee's Bend. Wow.

Knit One Quilt Too Kristin took a class from Gwen (woohoo!) and wrote about it here and here. Gee's Bend Class here. Basically, just go and read her blog!

Bonnie Hull has some great pics of the show and the quilts here in her blog On the Way. And her friend Cynthia Wilcox has great quilt photos as well here and here. Not to mention that I found this fabulous video on her blog:


Michele of With Hearts and Hands did a fantastic write up on the lecture by the Gee's Bend Quilters not to mention has some great pics of the quilts. And there's her post about the show.

More great show pics at Cottons n Wool.

I am really sorry to have missed this show. Hope you enjoy it virtually too.

19 comments:

laura said...

It's a race- the end of your basting or the finish of Millie's quilt. It's litterally a pain in the neck!
Glad Pokey is back to herself. Commi had an accident with a metal coat hanger in the eye a couple of weeks ago and I still get worried if his eyes aren't open and alert.

antique quilter said...

oh so happy to hear Pokey is ok
I have to agree with you on this one, I am really sad I missed this years show.
I have always wanted to go to Oregon and well Gwen there at this years show I should have worked harder to get there
Kathie

SewCalGal said...

This quilt just looks like fun. You are doing an excellent job. And I see Pokey is very happy to help you.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing all these links. I didn't get there this year, but it's always great to see what was hanging in the beautiful town of Sisters, OR

Twisted Quilts said...

I hate the basting. I did 3 quilts sandwiches yesterday on my dining room table and my back is so sore today. No matter how much I smooth and smooth I end up with wrinkles. I am starting my first hand quilting project so wish me luck. Pokey looks great. You can tell a lot by eyes and his eyes are clear and bright.

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Enjoy the time you have with Pokey.
Sorry to say it just gets worse. I have been through it with so many animals. Just enjoy each and every minute you have with her. I really don't mean to be doom and gloom, but it is not good for you to think she is going to ge better. The vet is just keeping her from suffering by giving her the solution. Thats good! Sorry Fern

Lynn said...

I'm glad to hear that Pokey is more like herself. You could take your quilt to a longarmer and have it basted with Vanish thread.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful picture of Pokey. She looks like she is feeling better. Glad to hear it. I hope she continues to feel good and help you out with your basting. Thanks for all the links, I just loved looking at all the wonderful quilts.

Beena said...

Keep your eyes focused on the prize when you get to feeling like the basting is taking forever! It will pass, and you'll be ready to quilt!

So glad to see Pokey and "belly, belly, belly" in the pics. Glad she's in a better mood. Cats are strange people...they like to feel like they have options. With the doors open, Pokey probably feels like at least it's still her choice to run/or not to run under the bed.

Quiltdivajulie said...

kitties and newly-closed doors ... attorneys and new software ... hmmm, lots of odd behaviours about these days :-)

Glad Pokey is adapting - wish my attorneys would!

GREAT pictures!!

Chris Daly said...

So many great links. I had to bookmark this post and come back twice to see it all. I love the Pokey picture but I can't tell if that is the pet me pose or when is the moist cat food look. Have a great weekend!

Dena said...

Everytime I see your cat, Pokey, it reminds me of a cat my grandmother rescued who looked just like Pokey. We named her Contessa because she looked so regal. I'm glad Pokey is doing well and that you're making progress on your quilting project. My quilting has been on hold for the last month while our grand kids have been visiting.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

oh my. all that fabulous creativeness! So wish I could have hit that sisters quilt show.

that first picture of pokey is fantastic!

YankeeQuilter said...

Thanks for the links...great photos. Maybe someday...

Tanya said...

Your word quilt is looking great and Pokey is as beautiful as always! Is it hot? My cats are hidden for most of the day and I think they are trying to keep cool. Or they could be angry that I left them for a month and so they are punishing me.

Vicky F said...

Your Miss Pokey is so darn cute! Looks like she is looking right at me and sending vibes!
Vicky F

Unknown said...

My back and my hands are one of the reasons I have moved to spray basting. I started small, but can do fairly large single quilts without too much problem. I love the finish and it is so much faster and so painless compared to pinning or basting.
Mind you your work is quite superior to mine as I look through your blog...
Your cat was probably stressed out by you closing the door....

Sharon said...

Well, Pokey looks great! So glad she's doing better and you are too.

Sorry to hear the basting is going on forever. It's surely a drag. But you've got lots of kitty help! (and that's good...and bad!)

Thank you for all the wonderful links. It took me a while to get through them all. I've never been to Sisters, and I guess this was the year to go. (Rats! I missed it and am now pouting.) I'm so glad to be able to see it via the blogs. Thanks!

Holly said...

Really good pictures of the kitties - captures so much of their personalities - even unphotogenic Howler. :) I never get tired of seeing them. Glad Pokey is hanging in there and doing so well.