Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What is Going on in There?

The front loading washing machine is a source of entertainment for the kitties. Here's Lily utterly entranced:

I've been washing all sorts of laundry lately, including the lap quilt that Howler decided to make his own, if you know what I mean and I think you do if you've read my previous posts. Darn cat.

I found a fun site yesterday, Expat Blog, where expats from all over the world can register their blogs to make them easier to find. The blogs don't even have to be in English. I know some of my readers could register here too.

I got a semi-surprise in the mail: the newly-released DVD set of Kitchen Confidential. It wasn't a surprise, in that I knew theoretically it might be coming. I was contacted by a member of the show's production company and asked if I'd be willing to watch it and post a review on my blog. I had caught their attention with my numerous posts about Anthony Bourdain and his books and tv series.

Hmm, a tv-series based on Tony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential, starring Will Tippin, Xander Harris and Sam Weir? I'm totally in. I e-mailed my address without a second thought. Only later did visions of endless junkmail and phishing expeditions enter my head. But as it turns out, good things can actually happen in this world. I've enjoyed the three episodes I've watched. Woohoo. I'll let you know how it progresses.

Anyone wants to send me DVDs or books to review, I'm in. What a great job. I notice that the company who did Kitchen Confidential also does Bones and My Name is Earl. I promise I would give great reviews of those shows - I already know I love them.

The production company does Stargate Atlantis too, but gotta say I'm not nearly so enthusiastic about that one. My sweetie and I finally watched disc 4 and I am disliking the show more and more. It's too preachy and I swear one of the episodes was based on the Star Trek episode that had Frank Gorshin in it. (You fellow geeks know which one I mean. The one guy was half black and half white and his combatant was half white and half black.)

Back to SG Atlantis: Dr McKay is fantastic - love love love that character and he almost makes the whole thing worthwhile. But why add the character of Ronin? Dull and brooding. boring. I want more of Lt whatever her name was that got stuck in McKay's body - the interplay between the two of them is great. Stargate SG-1 is so much better than this show, so why did they ever cancel it?

I've admitted previously what a tv addict I am and living here is killing me. In Cairo our satellite company had all sorts of english-language programming with subtitles in arabic. Got to watch British cookery and detective shows and the top 10 programs from the states (although they'd be 1-2 years behind). Here I get endless repeats of the Inspector Lynley shows and Mutant X in english and that's about it. Mutant X? That's what they choose to let me hear in English? You've got to be kidding me.

And the French Sci-Fi channel never ever has an English option. I hate them. I'd love to watch Sliders although Seaquest does nothing for me.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

When I had cats they too loved the washing machine but their real favourites were snooker and formula one car racing! They never did quite catch the little coloured balls or the cars :o)

søren said...

I didn't think there ended up being that many more episodes of Kitchen Confidential (the show) than three!

YankeeQuilter said...

Goldie must of watched the washing machine for at least a month! She still runs to the TV whenever Wolfe Blitzer comes on...go figure!

McIrish Annie said...

Kitty TV! I love it.

Dianne said...

Cut kitty/washer pic, Tonya. And thanks for the expat blog link. I'd visited before, but that was ages ago. I've gone back now and added my blog.

Magpie Sue said...

Wish my dog were as easily entertained as Lily seems to be by the washing machine!

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I always wonder what is going on in their little brains....

atet said...

Oh, I feel your television limitation pain! How in the world can you do quality quilty time without the lovely sounds of your favorite shows? (no, I'm not being sarcastic here -- really, how does it work?) Even when I am working at my machine and I can't see the television -- I have it on so I can hear it. Ouch!

Tanya said...

Great kitty picture!
TV's and I don't get along too well. My husband loves it and I hate it so it is one of our few points of disagreements. Oh well. If I have a quilt to work on while we watch, I'll be okay.

Clare said...

Oh Lily. Please be careful and don't jump in when Mum opens the door. You will get very wet.

Tonya - I feel for you with the tv and the French thing. We had stallite installed about 3 years ago and can get BBC, ITV and loads of other stuff (free to air). Although watching the news and stuff in French does help with the language and pronounciation, it does get so t-e-d-i-o-u-s. Are you just cable? Can you get TPS? They have a lot of English/American stuff, like BBC Prime (yuk). What do your fellow Americans do?

Lily Mulholland said...

Yep, I feel compelled to check that Bashka's not actually inside the washing machine before I load it :)

Loved SG-1. HATED Atlantis.

Quilting Pirate said...

lol, the kitty is very well entertained...I guess it helps that you do laundry often! :D

Juliann in WA said...

Sounds like you might have a good idea for a work from home job - nice work! How are your feeling these days? I have another friend who just had her thyroid surgery last week and got a clean pathology report.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that picture of Lily is totally cute! Way too easy to entertain her I guess!

I could really see you as a TV/DVD/Book reviewer. You'd be wonderful at it!

Cher said...

Lily looks so happy watching the laundry...great photo Ton. I am sorry about the tv language thing-it would really annoy me-you can understand going around and everyone talking French, but, a person should be able to pick the language they want to hear on their own tv! double rats I say!

Maria said...

My cat loves getting in, I think he may be addicted to the conditioner.
By the way, Have you seen Battlestar Galactica? I´m a tv addict, too.

Anonymous said...

The cat is very cute. Thanks for the link to the Expat Blog, I'm going to look into it now :)

Mama Spark said...

I'm a huge SG fanatic!! I would DIE if I couldn't follow the show. I am so pissed that they cancelled it. I agree, SG Atlantis is crappy compared to SG. I have all except the latest SG seasons on DVD. If I ever get to France, I could bring them and we could watch the shows and quilt, lol!! We have friends in the Paris area and have been there once for a visit. Your quilts are so beautiful. I lvoe your kitties too. The one that balled up the quilt is like my calico, Autumn. She loves to zoom around on the blocks that I lay out for placement. How silly of me not to realize that they are just there for her amusement!