Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New Book By Gwen Marston

Yippee!!! Gwen Marston's new book is out:
Here is Gwen's write-up for Ideas and Inspirations, Abstract Quilts in Solids, by Gwen Marston, Photography by Gregory Case:

"Gwen has written a new book and this one is especially designed for grownup quilters. It's a book for the many accomplished quilters who are not looking for yet another project book with pages of detailed elementary instructions on how to make someone else's quilt. Rather, it's intended for quilters who are seeking ideas and inspiration for their own work. This 67 page book begins with a 7 page discussion about working with solids and Gwen's fresh approach to design concepts. The remaining pages are in full color showing full page photographs of 28 quilts with close-ups and captions of each on the opposite page. Gregory Case did the photography and it's first rate. He also did the photography for the Freddy Moran/Gwen Marston 2006, Collaborative Quilting book and also the upcoming Marston/Moran quilt book to be released July '09."

Tonya again. Ooh, I love the picture on the cover and the bit about how it's a book for grownups.

The book will be available on Gwen's webpage so that you can have it autographed, but as of the time I'm writing this the info isn't posted. In the near future, you will also be able to order the book from Gregory Case's website.

However the book IS available for purchase right now on Lulu.com in two different versions. The print version is $25.50 and can be shipped internationally as well as the U.S. An e-book (PDF download) -- only available through Lulu -- costs $17.50. It has the same content but is presented in a slightly different way. If you click either one of these Lulu links you can read more about the book and preview some pages. Just be warned, it does take awhile to load.

For those of you who are lucky enough to be going to the Beaver Island Retreat, Gwen should have plenty of books on hand for you to buy them there.

Remember how I received a letter from Gwen awhile back? Well when I responded, I told her that I was sure that all of her fans who have blogs and webpages can really do a whole lot to help her promote this book. She's self-publishing this one, so you know she'll need all of us cheerleading and spreading the news. I'll have more more info for you soon on how you can do that and maybe add a widget to your sidebar. Or should I say Bonnie will since she's the computer mastermind.

By the way, here's a sneak peek at Freddy & Gwen Collaborate Again: Freewheeling Takes on Traditional Quilt Designs.

It's 1am here and I'm a bit foggy. I've tried to get this as accurate as possible and I hope the links work. Fingers crossed we all get our books soon!

20 comments:

Joyce said...

This is exciting news. I'd really like to get an autographed copy. The spiderweb quilt on Freewheeling is amazing. I can't wait to get a look at that one too!

Kristin L said...

Oooh! I'm a grownup! My bookshelves are full, but I could easily download some inspiration. I think that's a great way to present the book.

Donna said...

The ebook is stunning! I'm soooooo enjoying it

Kristin Shields said...

Great news! Love that cover quilt.

Browndirtcottage said...

I love "sneek peeks"....thanks for the link!!

Clare said...

Do I qualify as a grown up quilter I wonder? LOL.

Gorgeous cover, but the book is going to have to wait a while. The Euro/Sterling exchange rate Is Not Good.

antique quilter said...

very exciting news!
can't wait to order my copy of it.
glad I saved those solids !!!
kathie

The Calico Cat said...

I love the idea of working in solids. (& I've actually done it!)

Cher said...

ordered the actual book- thanks for the link! and thanks for bringing us this chance to be among the first to get a copy. I would be happy to help promote Gwen's book

Quiltdivajulie said...

My copy of Gwen's book is now on order... and I love the sneak peak at the collaborative quilt. Thanks so much for keeping us updated!!!

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for the news!! Exciting! I'll keep checking Bonnie's site for info on how to advertise it on our blogs.

Unknown said...

This looks like a must-buy to me--thanks for the info. I like the part about quilts for grownups too. Wow--solids would be a great departure for me. In 20+ years I've only made one solid-color quilt.

Lorie McCown said...

I love GM too. I was lucky enough to go to one of her workshops, here a while ago. Her way of going about quiltmaking is indeed 'liberated'! Lovely blog.

jude said...

i am going for the online version for now, just to see how that works!

Magpie Sue said...

Woohoo ~ an e-book! No toxic print fumes from that!!! Yippee!!!

Lynda said...

More book recomendations! Hooray! (I think...)

Gypsy Quilter said...

Now THAT looks like a cool book. Thanks for the update.

Kathleen C said...

I've always loved Gwen Marston. I've done traditional things and lots of applique, but I keep going back to Gwen's Liberated Quiltmaking for patchwork ideas and techniques. The free style is what I want to explore more. So, thanks for the news about her latest book.
And, I love your blog-thanks for writing. Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Love the "quilts for grown-ups" comment from Gwennie. She is delightful and doesn't suffer fools. I was in a class with her last year and it was great! Can't wait for the book.

Anonymous said...

I just came back from retreat with Gwen. The book is great!! She actually told us about your blog! I am posting about the book today on my blog. I'll post my quilts from retreat later this week.