Friday, August 22, 2008

Bright Applique for a Rainy Day

We've been getting lots of rain lately. It hasn't let up today at all and I refuse to go out of the apartment.

I quite like this photo even though I had to take it really fast before the umbrella moved out of the frame. (No, the umbrella wouldn't be moving all by itself, but I didn't care about photographing the person holding it.) See what I do for you guys? Standing out on a rainy balcony in my bare feet...

The weather is blah, I'm blah. I actually took a look at the bottle of anti-inflammatories I've been gulping down and discovered that it can cause drowsiness. Oh, yes it can. Anyway, about that sorry excuse of a knee - I've decided to put off taking care of it until I get back to America, which will be next year.

Enough gloom. I ordered a really fun book after seeing photos of quilts done by the maker and her students on Kristin's blog. Lily does her Vanna White impression for Hand-Appliqued Quilts by Tonye Belinda Phillips:


Isn't it bright and cheerful? Tonye is a big fan of Gwen Marston's and it shows in her light-hearted approach and love of hand work, including hand quilting. Gwen wrote a recommendation for the book, which was another reason I wanted to get it. Tonye has a fun approach to choosing fabrics, mixing repros with brights, getting ever brighter as the years go by. You can see some of the quilts here, my favorite is Jammin' With Scarlet.

By the way, another folk art quilting book I highly recommend is Roberta Horton's Scrap Quilts: The Art of Making Do. It's out of print, but you can get used copies right now at low prices. I just wish Roberta would write a new book AND design a new line of fabric.

16 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Bummer about the rain. Hope it's not so hot with it that the humidity is a killer.

I took Disalcid (sp?) once upon a time. It's a prescription anti-inflammatory and I kept falling asleep all the time -- including while I was giving my toddler children a bath! (I quit taking it after that.)

Kristin L said...

I have Roberta Horton's "The Fabric Makes the Quilt" and it was life changing for me when I was transitioning from purely traditional quilts to artful ones. How i missed GM at that time is beyond me. I wonder how different my quilts would be had I known about her work earlier??

Dionne said...

I love the picture of your cat reading the book!
Cheers,
Dionne

Fran said...

What an interesting view from your appartment window.

I know what the blahs are like when your sore and can't seem to get any relief. Hope you get feeling better soon.

Checked out the books and the quilts and I'm with you. There are some really nice 'fungly' type quilts in there too.I also wish Roberta would write another book.

Cheer up!! Think of Annie and the song "Tomorrow". The sun will come up tomorrow or so we'll wish it for you.

~~Fran...:c)

jmb_craftypickle said...

Love the umbrella picture with the cars...the shapes suggest a neat quilt idea?? Your kitties are just so beautiful...I meant to write the other day, they are so photogenic!

BizarreQuilter said...

Ooh yes! I love the cover of Tonye's book. Tbe bottom border.. different colour, edge to edge, marvellous.
Don't hate me, but I am not a cat person... but I LOVE your pictures of the "kittens". Their eyes are interesting and bright with intelligence.
I am looking forward to starting the fungly quilt as soon as I get a UFO out of the way!

Unknown said...

Great-looking appliqué book--thanks for the recommendation.

Scrap Quilts by Roberta Horton is a terrific one too; one of my favorites. Her books and her sister's are ones I refer to again and again.

Browndirtcottage said...

oooohhh...your kitties are sweet!! I haven't had a cat since I was a little girl.. They were fun and crazy...I remember they would run wild all over the house...around the room across the couch and right up the drapes...I had 2 of them but I can't remember their names!

I love that book....it's a must have. I love quilts with the black background.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Tonye Phillips lives here in Oregon..actually in Camp Sherman where we stay every year so I can attend the Sisters Oregon Outdoor Quilt Show. The "Pine Cones"...the quilters of Camp Sherman, and their husbands, the "Pine Nuts" put on their own Camp Sherman Quilt Show in the main lodge the Friday night before the Quilt Show. Quilts adorn all of the log cabin walls and surfaces and they are famous for their $3 potholders. Gwen was a huge hit at the Sisters Show in 2006 and everyone is working hard to get her back next year. Should be interesting! You may have to make a Trans-Atlantic quit show hop!

Kristin Shields said...

I'm glad you like the book. I also have RH's book and it's another favorite. I've seen it for sale recently at several used book stores.

BTW, I'm still working on my Jammin' with Scarlet that I started last year. It's so much fun with all the bright colors. I agree that you ought to come out for the quilt show next year. That would be fun!

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

If it's any consolation, it's just become official, England has had it's wettest August on record.
Miserable isn't it?

Carol E. said...

I love the umbrella shot, including your bare toes.

Lucy said...

Hi Tonya, The applique book looks very interesting! I add it on my wishlist.

Lynda said...

Oh, great! More book recommendations! On past history, they will be fabulous (if my bank bablance can stand it!) Good quilting books can be hard to track down if you don't have a good book store nearby. However, it's tantalising to see the Roberta Horton so cheap on amazon.com, but they won't send any to me in the UK, and there are none on amazon.co.uk! What am I doing wrong?

Cher said...

yes, those are some of the quilts by her students I took at sisters this year! nice to see she has a book- guess I too will add it to my wish list. thanks for recommending it-a new book like that helps with the blahs, and sewing with brights is also my best suggestion as well.

Eileen Paulin said...

I love that you are praising Tonye's book from afar. It is wonderful and her work is lovely! Thank you for stopping by to take a look at the latest on Freddy and Gwen. BTW: Love the cat, we are all about paws at our house! Really enjoyed reading your blog. Eileen