Monday, August 07, 2006

Back of the Quilt

You know how I was saying that quilting stitches on the back of my quilts don't look like the ones on the front? Well here's a great example. This is the back of the quilt I showed you yesterday. When I did this, I had ten years of hand quilting experience, so my stitches were going through much better than they did when I first began.

Some stitches are little dots and others are missing entirely. You can see the longer stitches, some of which are backstitches or maybe where I've stabstitched to get through the seams.

The only difference with how I quilt now is the knots. I was determined for many many years that there was no reason to pull the knots through. I've finally realized that it would be too easy for those knots to get worn off after many years, although I've had no problems so far. So I do pull the knots through now, but I do it through the backing, not the top layer of the quilt.

As far as the crease on the quilt goes, I'll wait til we get to Paris to wash it. I'm afraid all of the quilts I've had hanging up here are full of the fine sand/dust of Cairo. I'll cross my fingers that does the trick. I usually have all my quilts laying flat or scrunched, so this is the first time I've had this problem.

I do wash all my quilts after I've finished them. I throw them in the washing machine on the gentle/handwash cycle and then into the dryer on the low setting, taking them out when they're still a bit damp so that I can block them. Not serious blocking with pins and measuring, but I do lay them flat and that does a great job.

On a completely different topic, I've now switched to Bloglines and I do recommend it for reading blogs. I hated waiting for the email from Blogarithm. Bloglines updates all the time, although you can see an occasional glitch where it misses a post or two.

To try and answer some comments. (Okay, these are from way back when, but I explained about the jumbly brain).

Tazzie, I have no idea why the tablecloths smell like gasoline. Something to do with the process of making them - I just know they stink.

Eileen, it's a fairly dry heat generally, at least in the summer. As far as I'm concerned, October is the worst weather month here - it's stickier and they burn the fields so the air pollution is horrendous. I'm thrilled to miss it this year.

The other day the temp was 95 and humidity was 43% and I was whining like crazy. I have the Mozilla Firefox browser and I put the weather plug-in on so now I can find out that kind of info easily. for instance, today's high is supposed to be 95 degrees and euwwww the humidity is expected to hit a high of 53 percent. Gross, I need to go run errands today (since I don't have a car, that means walking) so I've gotta get going now.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I like that backing fabric. Reminds me of that tri-color licorice candy.

Lily Mulholland said...

Tonya you crack me up: "Tazzie, I have no idea why the tablecloths smell like gasoline. Something to do with the process of making them - I just know they stink."

Urgh. That heat sounds awful. It's the other problem here!

Thanks for showing us a picture of the back of your quilt. And good intel on why you should pull the knots through - and from the back!

Eileen said...

I would kill for 43% humidity! It's supposed to be in the 80's temp wise, but over 70% humidity and a threat of thunderstorms.
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but if you were to throw the quilts into the dryer with a damp cloth, would it get rid of the sand for you, and maybe lessen the weight for packing?
I haven't hand quilted since I got the longarm. Sometimes I miss it, until I see the stack of tops, then I'm grateful for the LA.

Judy said...

I'm with Eileen, I'd do a dance for 43%..in Virginia you can wring out your clothes anytime as our humidity runs about 70% most days, with the last heat wave hitting in the 80%'s. Steam bath!

I started hand quilting by pulling the knots through, I guess mostly because you mentioned the possibility of them rubbing off and I liked the look better. It's tougher doing it with the perle cotton, but I use my needle to wiggle a little bigger hole then pull real hard and, afterwards close up the hole again. I have been doing it on the top, but I wonder if maybe the bottom wouldn't be better, although I do usually go under the batting and catch it so that the knot gets secured well. Thanks for the peak on the back!

SOOO glad all went well with the cats visit. Fingers crossed that the tests come back quickly and all clean!

Clare said...

Ho Tonya,

Glad the cats are ok and easier to catch this time.

I love those cabinets. Wait until you get to Paris!!!!!! Hope you won't get too carried away in the Depots de Vente and the Trocs (second hand furniture shops).

A+
Clare

Finn said...

Morning Ton, just poppin in to say "hi" and stay cool! No comments from me in the comments today...*VBS* Hugs, Finn who also pops her knots inside the quilt..*G*

quiltpixie said...

I was surprised by the knots. When I learned to quilt they were a big "no no" and I have never knotted a quilting thread... simply assumed no one did.... I slide the needle in from the right side, along the line where I'm going to make the stitches, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from where the first stitch will be. I then simply start stitching. With the stitches going over the thread the thread is anchored... Never had a problem, so found it interesting...

Darcie said...

This backing fabric is great...almost edible! Did you buy lots?!?

Love the knots...so much character!

sewprimitive karen said...

Your hand quilting looks great. How long have you been in Egypt?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Tonya, it was fun to see the back of your quilt! I wash and semi-dry my quilts exactly as you do! Its nice to know I"m not alone!

Cher said...

nice to catch up with you...thanks for showing the back of your quilt-reassuring to know how other hand quilters quilts look on the back.
glad you survived and the kitties survived that last round with the vet.

Anonymous said...

I never could get the trick of popping my knots (half the time they popped right through), but I always enjoyed scooting around and finishing off. So now I use a long length of thread, pull it through about halfway, quilt away and when I've finished it off, pick up the other end and quilt with that. It takes a little bit of planning, but it works well.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
You don't know me, I came from Sam's blog. But I'm reading Guide to Machine Quilting by Diane Gaudynski. She's won every quilter award known to woman. Anyway, she talks about this problem on page 50 and how you can work with your tension. It's a good book.

Anyway, my two cents.

Ann said...

Tonya, Love the quilt, both front and back! It's nice to be catching up with everyone again now that things have settled down a bit here. I, too pull my knots thru when I hand quilt, and have always done it from the back so I could anchor the knot in the batting. Not sure where I learned this, it's just the way I do it!