Friday, December 03, 2010

Almost Here

What's almost here you ask? My book, my book. Word Play Quilts is to be released in four days.


I have to admit I'm stressing out about it. Oh nooo what if everybody hates it? Eeek.

Lynne is eagerly awaiting the book. She is an absolute hoot. She has a countdown clock on her blog Patchery Menagerie and, even better, is showing her quilts that include letters. It's great to see the progression of her style. One of her quilts is in the book and I was lucky enough to see it at market. Fabulous!

Speaking of market, Tanya's quilt was hanging up in the Martingale booth looking all fabulous and fellow blogger BrendaLou got pics of her and me with the quilt. Small world!

And I hadn't even realized it, but Martingale has set up a Flickr set for quilts made with UnRuly Letters. Take a look at it here. (And geeze, I need to figure out what the heck my Flicker name was. oops...)

I've decided not to sell the book myself. That would just be one more level of organization and paperwork to deal with and I'm sooo not good at that. Instead, how about:

Your local (or favorite) quilt shop. We have to keep them in business. I know I'd have gone nuts without the JaM Patch and all the wonderful folks who work there. For ages they were the only quilters I knew when I moved to town and they've been so encouraging of all my work. Not sure if your quilt shop is going to carry my book? Just ask - I'm sure they'd be happy to order it for you.

Quiltville. Bonnie Hunter is a wonderful friend and fabulous quilter. Her site was the home of my letter tutorials for years and I'm not sure I'd have a book without her. This way you can order some of Bonnie's books at the same time. She has two out already and another one due in late January/early February. Man, I do not know how she gets so much done.


Quilt Books Unlimited. My book isn't listed there yet but I met the owner Cathy Neri in Houston, where we were staying at the same hotel. She is an absolute doll and I adore her. She's been reading my blog since I lived in Cairo and totally gets the whole UnRuly thing. She carries a great selection of quilt books which are hard to find elsewhere so she's a great resource.

Amazon. I will make a few cents if you buy it from the widget in my sidebar. 

I know, none of these will be autographed. I'm working on a plan to do bookplates which you can attach yourself.  I haven't worked out the details on that one yet (another thing I am stressing about). If anyone has design experience and want to come up with some fun bookplate options, just let me know.

There will be more book celebration stuff coming along, but it's kinda awkward to have it all occurring during the holidays. I think the book launch stuff will expand to include the month of January. Just like Halloween oozes over into Christmas (although that's reversed at the shopping malls). I've got Hallowistmas going on:


I've got errands to run. But a couple more quick kitty pics before I go. More from the photo session where I tried to include Lily along with the book and Cake:


and Pokey in the sunlight with the book. And wait is that shadow Howler?


    40 comments:

    Teresa Rawson said...

    Wow! It's all so exciting! Thanks for posting about options to buy. My LQS is a little slow to act, so I think I will try your Amazon widget!

    I just posted this morning about your book and showed some cool casserole hot mats I am making with my comical attempts at your beautiful letters...I need some pointers from your book!!

    Enjoy your moment...you've earned it!!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    Joyce said...

    Congratulations! Mine has been pre-ordered from Amazon for ages. I'm sure it will be a huge success! I'll add some of my word quilts to Flicker if I can remember how to do it. I can't wait to get the book into my hands.

    Sujata Shah said...

    Yayeee! So exciting! I am so happy for you. Congratulations! Can't wait to get my copy.
    Love your Halloween/Christmas decor!
    You have so much goodness going on! Enjoy!

    Michele said...

    Your book will be great! I'm know I'm not the only one excited to get it in my hot little hands! Congratulations author!

    Melissa Saylor said...

    I can't wait. Thanks for letting everyone know the date. I'm getting one for my daughter for Christmas and I think one for a few others as well. Gosh, I hope Santa brings me one. Very exciting!

    Clare said...

    A book plate sounds a brilliant idea.

    To quote the song Celebration "there's a party going on out there". Keep a look out on the LQ web ring on publication day.

    Marj said...

    Wow! How exciting! I plan to do a class using your book as the pattern to help get more quilters in my area liberated. Can hardly wait to get my own copy.

    Millie said...

    Gee, I've never been called a hoot before! The Letters From Home quilt is currently on display at my favorite quilt shop, and they are eagerly counting down the days until the book arrives. I am HAPPY to help promote your book! I've got several copies on pre-order myself!

    Elaine Adair said...

    Silly Tanya - the only thing about your book I hate is WAITING for it - it's been on my Wish List for MONTHS!!!

    antique quilter said...

    congrats and good luck with the book sales
    will be looking for quilts inspired by your book all over blogland
    Kathie

    byneedleandthread said...

    I'm excited for your book! What is the flickr group called? I can't seem to get there from the link.

    Teri said...

    I pre-ordered your book from amazon as soon as you said it would be available. I can't wait to get it!!

    Em said...

    I am loving celebrating you on my blog, you are such an inspiration to so many of us!!! You rock!!! And...no worries, you are loved and the book will be a hit!!!!!!!!

    laura said...

    Can't wait~ want to get it for my sister for Christmas. Is the ship date immediate after intro?

    Nifty Quilts said...

    What you need to worry about is, "What if everybody LOVES it?" which they will! I can't wait. And I'll track you down for a signature someday.

    Andi said...

    Your book is on my Christmas list, I sure hope Santa pays attention! I have a great quilt in mind to use UnRUly letters, but I want to have the book in front of me before I go any further than the 3 letters I've made so far.

    Sue said...

    I can't wait and I'm going to use the widget too. The LQS is just so slow. I haven't used your tutorials, but your website gave me the courage to try my own letters and they turned out great, so it will be a lot of fun to get the book. I foresee words in all my liberated quilts from now on. Sue in Mi

    9patchnurse said...

    I can't wait for your book! I'm so excited.

    Quilts And Pieces said...

    There is my little girl! I can't wait to get your book! I have to buy it on the sly since Mark is making me "not buy" anything quilting related in order to go to Australia in April. It has been so hard! But boy I can't wait to go!

    Heidi said...

    I've ordered from amazon, but they say, I won't get it before december 26th, which probably means next year :-(
    Maybe I'll cancel and try to get it from Bonnie.
    And I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who wants to get it signed from you :-)

    rcp said...

    Wow! Congrats on your book! I can't wait to get it! BTW LOVE your cats!!!

    quiltmom anna said...

    Congratulations Tonya,
    It is going to be a great success - Congratulations on getting your book to press.
    You have a special talent and people have enjoyed your ideas on blog land for awhile now.
    The die is cast- its time to celebrate your accomplishment- it is well deserved.

    Nice to see your kitties doing so well too.
    Warmest regards,
    Anna

    Sarah said...

    Hi Tonya, wow! How exciting! I'm so happy for you. :-)

    Leah said...

    how exciting! congratulations! everyone is going to love it, no one is going to hate it. don't stress. what an exciting time for you!!! revel in it.

    Anonymous said...

    I have no desisn experience but I think a bookplate that is a faded pic of maybe you name done in an unruly fashion in fabric, photographed and made into a bookplate you can autograph would be awesome!
    We LOVE you and EVERYONE will love the book. I agree...You will need to worry that it is loved TOO much!
    congrats!
    Dawn in MA

    jude said...

    oh yay!

    Cheryl Arkison said...

    So close...
    The cover looks great. It reminds me to pull out my latest/only word quilts.

    CharlotteP said...

    Nobody will hate it...it's worth buying just for the cover!

    Quiltdivajulie said...

    Counting down right along with you . . . SO exciting!!!

    Magpie Sue said...

    SO exciting! Bookplates is a great idea; I hope someone comes through for you with an equally great design.

    We've sort of got Hallowistmas going on here too. I kinda like it like that!

    Cheryl said...

    I'm sure it will be a great book and I can't wait to get my hands on one. I hope you sell millions of them!

    Jackie Kirner said...

    It's a great book! Many congratulations and can't wait for your next one...

    Glad to meet you!
    (from the QBU booth at WPB show)

    Dena said...

    Congratulations on your new book! How exciting! Michele of Heart to Hand did a great post on you. Can't wait to see your book in my local quilt shops.

    Carla said...

    Toni, I just ordered two books using your Amazon thumbnail....one for me and one for my quilt guild library! I am so excited for you. Congratulations, I am sure it was a labor of love. I'm looking forward to sharing about his book at guild and on my blog.

    jeri said...

    Thankyou so much for this beautiful book. I am waiting for my preordered copy to come....I wish it could be signed, oh well. Love what you do!

    daveandlo said...

    Tonya,
    I asked the shop owner where I work if she could order your book and it's supposed to be in the next auto shipment. Cool!

    Lois

    Glen QuiltSwissy said...

    Ohhhh! I pre-ordered from amazon last week! Sorry! I can't wait to get it!

    glen

    Susan said...

    Oh! That's like.....TODAY! Off to click on the button for Amazon, I'm totally excited!

    You should be so very proud of yourself, Ton! I know I am. Of you. And your feline support staff, too, they must be meowing up a storm!

    Joe Madl said...

    i can hardly wait! i've had this on pre-order since before i even found your blog! i don't remember where i saw a reference to it, but simply knew i HAD to have a copy! i'm certain it will be a total success! congratulations!!

    dot said...

    I am so happy you have your book completed. I remember when you were first thinking of doing the book and going back and forth. What an adventure and I fell honored to have watched the process along the way. I have made a few quilts with your process in wonky letters, tea cups and tea pot. Love the concept and will continue to makes many more quilts this way. Thanks for your inspiration.