Monday, December 08, 2008

The Quilt You Won't See

Yesterday I managed to settle down long enough to do some sewing at the machine. I knew I wanted to do fun holiday quilt with this snowman fabric. The fabric has a strong red color but the lighter colors are actually quite soft. I wanted an ivory color but didn't have any in my stash and decided to go ahead anyway. So I made white letters.

Can I just say yuck. I hated it. I wanted to like it - but that Joy is just too stark. The whole thing doesn't work together - so I took it apart. The snowmen will have to wait.

I'm going to need another project basted soon though - I'm circling towards the finish of Rumspringa.

A week ago I told you about my new endeavor with The Fabric Square shop. Well now is the time to announce the winner of the giveaway. drum roll.... Robyn who wants to play with Merry and Bright fabric. Robyn, send me an email. Sorry to those who didn't win, but did you notice the shop is having another giveaway?

Pokey and Lily have finally bounced back after the ordeal of visiting the vet. So sad to have slinking babies with low tails. Habibi was fine as soon as we got him home. He's just a big sweetheart, happy to have a home. Howler took a couple of hours and then he was fine too.

In our continuing holiday movie watching: Edward Scissorhands (the scenes of Johnny Depp with Vincent Price just break my heart) and Christmas in Connecticut (always love Barbara Stanwyck, even though this isn't her best movie).

16 comments:

Clare said...

If you want something to quilt I can give you the choice of three - joking!

I see what you mean about the Joy. There is no ooomph in it.

Joyce said...

I think the Joy is not wonky enough. You are just too good at doing letters! Lol.

Twisted Quilts said...

I think you are right about the letters. It just doesn't work. I can't figure out why but it just doesn't. I love the snowman fabric, so festive and not childish.

Jennifer said...

You'll figure it out, I'm sure!

Amanda said...

I think I'd have been inclined to take a used tea bag to the letters to tone them down a bit, rather than taking it all apart. But hey ho, i"m sure you'll soon think of something else to do with that fun fabric.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Awwwww!! Sometimes things just lack life, or don't live up to what we expect them to! I've had that happen so many times.

I love your work, and I know you will find the right combo to work for this JOY!

Bonnie

Desiree said...

You're right, it just did't work. I love, love the snowman fabric though! I used it in the green colorway for my daughter's stocking with a red with white polkadots for the cuff. Cute, cute! Hope you think of a solution to your "Joy" problem. Maybe like someone else suggested, use tea bags?

Unknown said...

Every quilt I make is a learning experience, and the learning usually involves color. You will figure it out--that fabric is too cute to end up in the discard pile.

Karen said...

Love the snowman fabric. How about black for the letters? That would work well with the little bit of black in the hats.

Browndirtcottage said...

oh my...the white joy just doesn't play nice with the others......LOL..i was laughing at you ripping it out....i have to REALLY talk to myself to keep from ripping out more than i do!....i LOVE edward scissorhands...or maybe it's just johnny depp..?

Fran said...

Yep, the white joy was just too perfect. It needs a bit of fun to jazz it up.
We also spend the last 2 weeks before Christmas watching all our favourite Christmas flicks. Tradition!!!

~~Fran...:c)

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear your quilt was joy-less! I love the snowman fabric. I suppose you could get some cream fabric and remake the joy. I'm sure you'll come up with something joyful!

Laura said...

Glad the kitties are all fine. Your idea for Miss Maggie worked wonders, within a day and a half she was eating regularly and within a couple days we opened the door just part way and she made her way out into the hallway. She is now running circles around us again. Thanks!

Lynda said...

I think the JOY is rather stark, although not horrible. Just take it off, either dip it in tea or make a tea-dipped JOY, and sew it on!

Anonymous said...

Try a little hot tea bath on the white fabric. It will give it a wonderful soft hue.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the snowmen need to be cut up in a big, wonky star?

Lois