Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cats, Quilts and New Friends

I’m safely back from my trip to the Netherlands. I had a fantastic time and my only regret is that I didn’t take a bigger suitcase along with some of my quilts for show and tell.

I have so many photos to show you from this trip, I’ve decided to split them up by theme. So my stories won’t be chronological…

I stayed with Joes in her very lovely apartment. Joes has now started a blog called Dutch Quilt Cat, which I’m sure will be filled with photos of her wonderful quilts, cats, and travel.

Joes and I visited the Cat Cabinet a tiny museum dedicated to paintings, advertising images, photos, and sculptures of cats. It’s housed in an Amsterdam canal house so you can also see all the period detail on the ceiling, walls and gorgeous wood floors. Joes in front of the museum:

Joes at Cat Cabinet 12-18-2008 5-34-52 AM

The museum had marvelous posters for sale – I came home with the Zwicky poster of a cat holding a spool of thread.

While I was visiting Joes, an editor and photographer from the magazine Quiltmania came to take photos of her apartment and quilts. It was fun to watch them work, moving things around to get the best composition. They also visited the homes of three other Dutch quilters whom I met AND interviewed Bonnie. I am sooo buying a subscription to the magazine.

I didn’t take many photos of the apartment myself – I know the professionals did a much better job - but I did take a few.  An antique Amish quilt on the wall and on the bed a quilt that Joes made and Bonnie machine quilted:

Joes two amish quilts 12-15-2008 6-00-43 AM 

A beautiful antique postage stamp quilt:

Joes postage stamp quilt 12-15-2008 5-18-21 AM

Joes has two beautiful sweet cats. This is Saartje curled up on a gorgeous antique star quilt composed of triangles:

Saartje sleeping on triangle stars quilt 12-15-2008 6-00-04 AM

The level of workmanship on the quilt is amazing. It’s heavily quilted and just gorgeous.

Saartje closeup on triangle quilt 12-15-2008 5-59-51 AM

Saartje has a sister named Pluisje, which means Fluffy. She has long hair but doesn’t tolerate being brushed, so she has to get shaved twice a year. She looks like a gorgeous Dr Seuss’ lion with the big mane, skinny body, and tail with a tuft at the end:

pluisje the lion 12-19-2008 6-51-03 AM

Pluisje was especially sweet to me. She’d sleep with me sometimes at night or curl up on my legs while I was on the sofa reading, which I did a lot of – Joes has an amazing quilt book library.

pluisje roses and tea tins 12-15-2008 6-07-28 AM

This is me sitting with Saartje, an ever present cup of tea in my hand:

Tonya with Saartje 12-12-2008 8-28-34 AM

An amazing trip but it’s also good to be home.

23 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, wonderful photos, esp. the bed with quilt on and quilt behind on wall, and great great cats! Simply amazing to be around for the photo shoot for gasp! Quiltmania!

antique quilter said...

those kitties are adorable
Lucky you to visit with Joes and see her antique quilt collection
I have heard about it thru Lucy.
isn't if fun to be on a photo shoot???
I am always amazed at how they move things around for the photos , things I would never catch they moved a plate around maybe 180 degrees just to make sure the right color was in the picture. they certainly pay attention to detail
can't wait to hear more about your trip !!!!
Kathie
ps what was your favorite antique quilt book she had?

Clare said...

Welcome back. It sounds as if you had a great time. I bet your Sweetie and the cats missed you.

I love the quilt on the bed, the Amish quilt is divine, but I think my favourite is the antique star quilt avec chat.

Do you know if the Quiltmania interviews are going to be in the French issue too? If so I'll keep an eye open. I gather Bonnie has been invited to do a workshop in France in 2010. Can't wait!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like a lot of fun. I was just looking through my blogs that I have marked and realized that I have bookmarked several of all of you that went to the same workshop that you are talking about, I have Lucy's and Bonnie's marked and have been reading their blogs for awhile, yours I found a couple weeks ago.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

jovaliquilts said...

My goodness, if this is the first of a few posts on your trip, you fit in so much! Those quilts are awesome, especially that triangle star quilt. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!

Browndirtcottage said...

hi tonya...glad you are back safely....love all the quilt pictures...wonderful...wonderful!!

Linda said...

You were looking for a new picture for your blog a while ago--the one of you with the cat is absolutely stunning! Your search is over!
Lurking Linda

Diane said...

I agree with Linda ~ great photo of you. I'm anxious for any tidbits you care to share about the trip. Welcome home.

Cher said...

lovely post and as everyone says, truly beautiful quilts. what a fun time you had! will look forward to reading more of you adventures

julieQ said...

I am so glad you got to got and have fun...and you look happy to be home! A cup to tea and a sweet kittie to love is pretty darn good livin'!

Dianne said...

So envious of your trip to see Joes, Lucy and Bonnie! Great pics...can't wait to see more. Aren't Joes' quilts gorgeous? And those beautiful cats, too.

Glad you're back safe and sound in time for Christmas.

Oh...and my 10 Wishes quilt top is finished...hooray! Thanks for your wonderful tutorials.

Fran said...

Glad you're home...we missed you... great pictures and very cute kitties.

~~Fran...:c)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Welcome home! Can't wait to see more! Love'n the antique star quilt. they are all beauties. great cat! love his tail! for a cat...
;-)

Missed ya online!

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh I think I want to go to that 'cat' museum!!! and what cute cat photos!

jude said...

great quilts, great cats, and a great smile!

quiltmom anna said...

Hi tonya,
What lovely pictures of a very fun time for you- the quilts are really gorgeous and so are the cats.
The best picture is of you with the cats- it is terrific!
What a wonderful time must have been had by all. I have a fairly recent copy of Quiltmania which I quite liked..
Thanks for sharing...
Season's greetings,
Anna

Kristin L said...

Cats, quilts and tea -- it couldn't get much better than that, could it?!

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. As everyone else has said - lovely quilts and cats - and that cat museum looks fab!

Karen said...

Such wonderful quilts. I love the postage stamp one.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Good to know that you had a good time,pity the weather was bad!We look better with a bit of sunshine:) Looking forward to see more pics and yes the quilts are really beautifull!

Idaho Quilter said...

The quilt with the tiny triangles is amazing, thanks for taking us along on your trip, anxiously awaiting for more photos. There is no place like home.

Unknown said...

Yay! I've been anxious to hear about your trip--knew it would be fabulous. I really need to subscribe to Quiltmania too because it's always hard to find around here.

Pluisje--I love that name.

Lori said...

I've been to that cat museum in Amsterdam - wild. And I bought the very same Zwicky poster. It's framed and hanging in my sewing room.