Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Croque Monsieur

I'm on a diet. Ha ha ha. Let me try that again. Theoretically, I'm on a diet. But temptation is everywhere in Paris and I keep telling myself, well, you won't live here forever you have to treat yourself while you can. sigh.

My sweetie and I had lunch in Montmartre this weekend. I mortified him by taking out the camera so I could show you what exactly a Croque Monsieur sandwich is. We call them Croak Monsters and they're basically a ham sandwhich with cheese on top that gets all bubbly under the broiler. Yes, I know I could have skipped the frites, but that's all part of the experience too, right?
My husband got the Croque Madame, which has an egg on top:

We ate outdoors at a cafe called Le Chinon - very sweet friendly waiters always happy to speak english. I haven't tried anything but the Croque Monster, but I'm sure the rest of the food is excellent as well. It's on the corner of Rue Audran and Rue des Abbesses. I'm probably mangling the spelling of that...


Now to answer a quick Blogger question that Anna raised. I highly recommend that you set your blog up so that your comments come into your email. Do that by going to your SETTINGS, then choose the Comments folder. At the bottom of that page there is a space for Comment Notification Email. Add your email address there.

Your email address won't appear anywhere on your blog by putting it there. It just means that you will receive every comment posted on your blog in your email. Then it's a very simple matter to reply to comments at least from fellow Bloggers or those who've set up a Blogger profile.

Unless they're no-reply. If Bloggers want their email addy to show up, then they need to go into their profile and add it. That's the best way to interact.

23 comments:

Sharon said...

Yuuummm! I've never had a "Croak Monster", but it looks really yummy! Paris is no place for a diet, is it? Way too much good food, not to mention the excellent bakeries! Oooo, la la!
Here's one thing about blog comments that you didn't mention. I got a G-Mail account just for my Blogger comments. Just another layer of self-protection on the scary "innernets". Maybe not necessary, but it made me feel a little more safe. I actually got the Gmail account before I got the blog, and was able to use the same user name for both.

Kristin L said...

Add some pickles to the Croque Madame and you'd essentially got a german Strammer Max. Tasty!

I'd be lost if my blog comments didn't come directly to my email. I know whenever someone comments and don't waste time checking if no one has written.

Clare said...

If you're on a diet does that mean no more antipasta (VBG).

If you're into Croque Monsieur's you really ought to come down here. There is a tiny bar/restau in a village not far from here. They're CM's are to die for. You know the round loaves (boule)? Well one of those sliced (big slices) and it covers the plate - you can't even get one frite on there!

Gillian said...

**waving and smiling** cos now I know that you get comments in your email!!

Nothing much to say, other than that.

Oh, and it would be great if you changed the setting that made comments appear in a pop up box. It's all so miniature and cramped. Not at all expansive and inviting like your breezy blog.

Unknown said...

I had Croque Monsieur when I was in Paris but clearly I went to the wrong places because yours looks much better. I always love your Paris photos. Keep them coming!

marilyn said...

hey, I see a salad on that plate! That means it is a healthy meal! You are doing good. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy ;)

Joyce said...

Oh how cruel to show me a Croque Monsieur when I am 6000 miles away from one!!! I love those things and nobody does frites like the French. Sigh. You may see me over there one of these days if you keep posting pictures like that! Lol.

Browndirtcottage said...

oooo...aauughhhh....yum....and yes i agree

Michelle said...

Looks delish!

carolyn said...

wish I was there splitting that yummy looking sandwich with you!

sewprimitive karen said...

Had a roommate in Chicago who always got the Croque Monsieur at the diners; I could never skip getting the oliveburger with cheese even once to try the Croque. Geez that diner food is good in Chicago. Wonder what else is on the menu at Le Chinon? It looks darling.....

Quiltdivajulie said...

There is a small neighborhood deli near my son's home downtown that features the Croak Monster sandwich but prepared as a panini... tastes good but I'm certain your version there tastes better (I'm a cheese lover)....

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Bonjour Tonya! Can I just say, I am so jealous that you live in PARIS!! YUM! We always have such a nice time there. I just wish I spoke french...

StockdaleJo said...

Sooooooooo love Paris. My DH and I were there hmmmm over 10 years ago now and the thing we remember the most is the food. It doesnt matter what you choose in France it is delicious. Even a simple hotdog is a culinary delight. Glad to see you are having fun. Dont forget a fabric shoppe or two

laura west kong said...

That looks SO yummy! It must be close to dinnertime.

Tracy said...

Paris is on my list for places to visit. Your one lucky women I must say. I felt my thighs growning larger as I viewed your sandwich!

Tanya said...

Ooh YUM! I know what you mean about eating things that you won't get forever. EVERY time I go back to the States I fall into that type of thinking. "Well, you won't have a chance to eat this again for a whole year so you might as well enjoy!" Then I suffer the rest of the year trying to walk the extra off...

Idaho Quilter said...

After all you are in France, how can you not have French Fries. Swounds like you are having a wonderful time. And from your photo I don't think you need to worry about being on a diet, enjoy

jacquie said...

i so envy you...paris...a dream of mine. the monster looks fabulous!!!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oh Man....that looks TOO Yummy!! You could go lo carb and just eat the monter minus his bread :c)

But what is paris, without bread?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonya, it's Pam from Kiva Quilters International.

The food pictures are making me hungry as I look at them this morning! Monster is right, but I am quite sure I could eat it all if it were set in front of me. :)

Have a wonderful year in Paris and please post pictures often. Would love to see them.

Karen said...

Oh, I can taste it. It looks so, so good!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh... you are dead a long time... enjoy I say!! Heh heh, nice blog... Lx