I tried to interfere as little as possible and just put these together randomly. I admit I did pay attention to what colors were at the ends of the diamonds, but that was it. Now I'm looking at the big blue blobby bits (right above Pokey's head). sigh. Gonna leave 'em.
Yesterday I had sunshine and confidence. Today, not so much of either. These star arms are easily a half inch off of each other. That's not going to matter because I'm not doing Y-seams - I'm splitting the background up into triangles. I'll explain more about that as I go along.
Annette, I'm using newsprint which comes in a pad. I find it's easy to pull off, yet isn't as flimsy as phonebook pages - but having said that I don't mind ripping standard paper off either. In the old days quilters did use newspapers and you can do that, but you have to age it for 3 weeks first so that the ink cures and doesn't smear off onto your fabric. I used a ruler and rotary cutter and cut the diamonds the size I wanted them and then sewed the strings down to them, like Bonnie did for her Out on a String quilt.
I got the Summer Class of 2008 blog started (even though I was convinced it was still 2007 the whole time I was working on it). Nothing really exciting there yet, but come on over and jump in the pool - the water's great!